Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2014 RSV4 Factory Oil Pressure Warning

apriliaforum Junkie

2014 RSV4 Factory Oil Pressure Warning

I've only had my RSV4 for about a month and ridden it twice, clocking up around 40 miles in total. Both rides on hot days for the UK.

It's done around 2650 miles in total and the previous owner had it serviced in March, including new oil and brake fluid.

Yesterday, my partner went out with me for the first time on her new bike and we made two stops. After the second stop, which was late in the afternoon and probably the hottest part of the day, as soon as I fired up the bike, the red warning light came on, along with the oil pressure icon on the dash (no other lights or symbols). I immediately checked the oil level and it's fine, then I shut the bike down and left it off for a bit and started it again and the warnings were still there. I was able to get it back home and checked the oil again and it's fine. My partner said nothing was blowing out of the exhaust either, as I rode in front on the way back. I haven't checked it yet today, but will after work.

I've had a look on here and it seems to point to either a faulty oil pressure sensor, faulty oil pump, faulty oil pressure regulator, or something else?

Just looking for some advice regarding the best course of action taking it to my approved Aprilia dealer. Do I just act ignorant and explain what happened and trust them to find and fix the issue (no experience of getting an RSV4 or any other brand fixed by them), or do I offer my findings when I book it in to give them some steer?
    Last edited by MarkyPancake; 07-01-2019 at 10:03 AM.

apriliaforum prov-nov BoostFiend's Avatar
    I cannot speak from experience , but I believe I have heard others say that it usually is oil pressure sensor/switch that causes it.

apriliaforum Junkie
    I've left the bike for over 24 hours in the garage, so nice and cool compared to yesterday, and turned it on without starting the engine and the warning is still there. As far as I can tell, it's still doing the usual ignition on startup procedure.

Never had a problem like this on any bike I've owned.

The dealer is closed now, so will call them tomorrow and find out what I need to do. I don't know if it's safe to ride it there now.

apriliaforum expert Proctologist's Avatar
    I'd sit tight and contact the dealership first. Some dealers come pick-up bikes regarding service/warranty work.

Keep us posted ..

Today:
    Ducati 1199 Panigale Rosso | Aprilia RSV4-R APRC ABS | Aprilia RSV 1000R (under construction)

Yesterday:
    Ducati 1098 | Suzuki GSX-R1000 | Suzuki GSX-R1100 | Kawasaki Ninja ZX600R | Suzuki TS185

apriliaforum Junkie
    I hope it's something simple, as it's a really clean bike. Obviously I can only see the outside of the engine, but it's in great condition when you look over it with a light.

Should have said, I checked the dash and it's a DSB 07 error.

apriliaforum expert
    You could buy an oil pressure gauge and measure the pressure with cold oil and hot oil, at idle and at 4,000 rpm.
    Cold oil at idle - 78 psi.
    208F coolant temp - 55 psi at idle, 80 psi@4000 rpm.
    Gauge screws in after you remove the sensor.
    Hoosier, not hoser.
    2000.5 Mille R - Ti Shotguns & lots of Evo shtuff
    2016 Tuono 1100 Factory
    1983 Yamaha XJ650LK Seca Turbo
    2006 Yamaha FJR1300AE

apriliaforum Junkie
    Just found the service manual I kept from my last RSV4 and it says the DSB 07 error relates to the oil sensor and to check the connection and replace the sensor if need be. I don't have a DSB 08 error active or in memory and it says that errors relates to oil pressure, so hopefully it's not as bad as I thought.

The sensor is around 10 and I see the current part 1D001138 is a replacement for the previous one 641541, so was there an issue with the old sensor?

If I attempt to change the sensor myself and it fixes the error, as it seems easy enough even for my amateur mechanics skills, will the error clear itself or do I have to clear it manually?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkyPancake View Post

If I attempt to change the sensor myself and it fixes the error, as it seems easy enough even for my amateur mechanics skills, will the error clear itself or do I have to clear it manually?
    Once you replace the sensor, if that fixes the issue, then the error state will go to memo only. That can be cleared in the Dash by resetting/Clearing dashboard errors via the dash menu.
    It should be just above or bellow the read Dashboard error menu choice.
    2015(16) RSV4 RR Ascari Black 201HP

apriliaforum Junkie
    Thanks!

So, to make sure I've understood correctly, if I clean the current sensor and it fixes it or I replace it with the new part and it fixes it, it will check this at ignition on and if either has resolved the problem, the active DSB 07 error will clear itself, whereas if you use the error clearing option in the diagnosis menu, this will clear the error from memory?

apriliaforum Junkie
    For the sake of around 13 including delivery, I've ordered a 1D001138 oil pressure sensor and relevant washer. Might as well give it a try, as from what I can tell, the 2014 RSV4 has the old part from the factory. It might arrive tomorrow, but in the meantime I'm going to take the fairings off ready (should really fit my Evotech Radiator Guard while I'm at it), then if this doesn't resolve it, at least I've eliminated that option and will call the dealer's service department to find out what they want to do.

Thanks!

So, to make sure I've understood correctly, if I clean the current sensor and it fixes it or I replace it with the new part and it fixes it, it will check this at ignition on and if either has resolved the problem, the active DSB 07 error will clear itself, whereas if you use the error clearing option in the diagnosis menu, this will clear the error from memory?
    yes you got that right.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Thank you!

The sensor and washer shipped yesterday and may arrive today.

Other than removing the fairings on the sensor side and disconnecting and unscrewing the old sensor (sounds easy, but I know it will probably take my low-level skills hours), is there anything else I need to be aware of when swapping this out for the new sensor, such as can I expect lots of oil to come out, etc?

Thank you!

The sensor and washer shipped yesterday and may arrive today.

Other than removing the fairings on the sensor side and disconnecting and unscrewing the old sensor (sounds easy, but I know it will probably take my low-level skills hours), is there anything else I need to be aware of when swapping this out for the new sensor, such as can I expect lots of oil to come out, etc?
    If the bike has not been run, then the oil pressure will be zero at the sensor, expect a few drips.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by plocky View Post
    If the bike has not been run, then the oil pressure will be zero at the sensor, expect a few drips.
    Thanks! I haven't fired up the engine since I rode it home on Sunday. Only turned the ignition on to see if the warning is still there.

apriliaforum Junkie
    My Dad left me a message to say the parts have arrived, so tonight is the night. Wish me and my spanner skills luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast