Thread: 2016 RR P0447 Code

apriliaforum Member a bathing ape's Avatar

2016 RR P0447 Code

Yesterday while riding I randomly got the P0447 urgent service code, which I believe to be the variable geometry intake fault after searching around. I tried clearing it a few times via OpenFlash Tablet, but it keeps coming back after starting the engine. Bike runs as normal with no issues. That service light is just really annoying.

Is the only solution to play with the control box and/or wiring connected to it?

well there is a whole page in the workshop manual with things about it. Read that first

I'd be looking at connection & pinched wire between controller at rear subframe & airbox.
    Then look in the airbox.
    2015(16) RSV4 RR Ascari Black 201HP

Quote Originally Posted by pauldayona View Post
    well there is a whole page in the workshop manual with things about it. Read that first
    I brought the use + maintenance manual with me to work yesterday and for the life of me could not find a page that listed all the data codes and their descriptions for troubleshooting smh. Unless thereís another manual I should be looking in.

Quote Originally Posted by plocky View Post
    I'd be looking at connection & pinched wire between controller at rear subframe & airbox.
    Then look in the airbox.
    Yea I looked at the wire that connects to the controller box and all seems well with it. I guess the next step would be removing the tank to check wires connected to the airbox?

Iíve also heard if you have the R and have the race ECU from a Factory you will always get this fault code. As the R doesnít have the variable intakes. (Which isnít the case since itís a standard ECU flashed with race map).

But itís also possibly a short in the secondary air solenoid valve. Not sure how I would check for that.

Quote Originally Posted by a bathing ape View Post
    I brought the use + maintenance manual with me to work yesterday and for the life of me could not find a page that listed all the data codes and their descriptions for troubleshooting smh. Unless there’s another manual I should be looking in.
    Workshop manual, not user manual

There is no page in the manual that lists the error codes, they are scattered over many pages.
    It's a PDF manual, just search the error code & it will take you to page 162, that easy.

here it is anyway.

DIAGNOSIS INSTRUMENT: ERRORS Variable geometry intake P0447 • shorted to positive / shorted to negative / open circuit / signal not valid. Error cause • If shorted to positive: excessive voltage has been detected at PIN 62. If shorted to negative: no voltage has been detected. If the circuit is open: an interruption has been detected. If signal is not valid: PIN 76 detects a battery voltage set by the variable geometry control unit to indicate error detection. The instrument panel does not indicate the presence of this error even in the ATT status.
    Troubleshooting • If shorted to positive: if a voltage higher than 5V is detected, disconnect the variable geometry control unit connector and check with key ON the voltage to PIN 2: if it is higher than 5 V, restore cable harness; if equal to zero, replace the variable geometry control unit. • If shorted to negative: disconnect the variable geometry control unit connector and the injection ECU connector and check continuity to ground of the light blue cable: if there is continuity with the ground, restore cable harness; if insulated from ground, replace the variable geometry control unit. • If the circuit is open: check the connector of the variable geometry control unit and the injection control unit: if they are not OK, restore; if they are OK, check continuity on the light blue cable: if not OK, restore; if OK, replace the variable geometry control unit. • If signal is not valid: check the connector of the variable geometry control unit, the motor cable connector and the motor connector (check the PINS of the connector, installed directly on the motor): if not OK, restore; if OK, check electrical characteristics of the motor: if not OK, replace; if OK, check, with connector of the variable geometry control unit and connector of the motor disconnected and intermediate connector connected, if the red and black cables are in continuity, insulated from ground and without voltage and insulated one from the other: if not OK, restore; if OK, check if the electrical motor pin is correctly inserted in the cavity of
    Electrical system RSV4 RR/RF
    ELE SYS - 162
    the endless screw (however it must turn a bit): if not OK, place it correctly; if OK, replace the variable geometry control unit.

Yea I looked at the wire that connects to the controller box and all seems well with it. I guess the next step would be removing the tank to check wires connected to the airbox?
    yep that's where I'd be heading.

I’ve also heard if you have the R and have the race ECU from a Factory you will always get this fault code. As the R doesn’t have the variable intakes. (Which isn’t the case since it’s a standard ECU flashed with race map).
    What you talking about here? You have a '16 RSV4 right. RR & RF are the same engine & both have variable intakes & use the same map/ECU.

But it’s also possibly a short in the secondary air solenoid valve. Not sure how I would check for that.
    Where did you hear that? Not in my manual.
    OK so it's close but not the same. Error for that is P0446. If you don't have that error in the ECU then don't look for that problem.
    2015(16) RSV4 RR Ascari Black 201HP

apriliaforum Junkie
    The question I think is variable ECU.

Thanks for the tips Plocky. When I have time Iíll dig into the tank/airbox and look at the connections & wires. Hopefully itís a pinched wire and I donít have to replace the control unit or wires.

As you can see using the search function isnít always beneficial as you get conflicting information lol.

I have a 2016 RR and the dealer installed the RACE ECU when I bought it brand new.
    In almost 10,000 miles Iíve never had any warning codes.

I donít think it has anything to do with it being an RR.
    Itís the same exact engine as the RF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by VicVen View Post
    I have a 2016 RR and the dealer installed the RACE ECU when I bought it brand new.
    In almost 10,000 miles Iíve never had any warning codes.

I donít think it has anything to do with it being an RR.
    Itís the same exact engine as the RF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not sure what youíre trying to say?

Got my cables in for Guzzidiag and Im still not able to clear the stored codes out of the ECU.

I tore into the airbox like Plocky suggested and even sent him pics lol. Everything seems in order there too. Guess Im going to have to take it to the dealer to see what they say smh.

Is the variable intake working when motor runs?

So interesting turn out. On my way to work yesterday I noticed my running taillight & brake light were out, but indicators still worked. Swapped out the 5a fuse, and stopped to get gas on the way home. When I restarted the engine the warning light was gone as well as the service message. So itís possible a blown fuse cause an open in the circuit to throw those codes.

Im just happy I didnít take it to the dealer (La Moto) because they quoted me $140 for an hour to Ďdiagnoseí the error, and when I read them the code he was sure it was evap/emissions related. Even after I told him it was related to the variable intakes. So Im pretty sure he just googled the code and read it back smh. Confirms what people have been saying about them & I wonít be bringing my bike there for any serious service.

apriliaforum Junkie Darth Vader's Avatar
    Every single RSV4 WITHOUT of variable stacks ( only pre 2017 FACTORY models have this device) and RACE ecu installed will have error code for velocity stacks, simply because they are not there and RACE mapping has them included That error is visible through the diagnostic tool but it will NEVER trigger any warning on the dash...