Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ben Speis interview

apriliaforum expert
    London, (England) 213miles NNW Paris (France)
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple J View Post
    The "Spies rule" is a conspiracy theory. Look at who had the Yamaha factory seats when Spies came up - there was no factory seat available. It was a dumb rule for sure, but it's implementation and retraction had nothing to do with Spies.
    It stopped him getting the Suzuki ride.

Quote Originally Posted by V4Victory View Post
    It stopped him getting the Suzuki ride.
    I guess...that would have been better?
    WMRRA #98
    2013 KTM 990 SMT (street)
    2009 Yamaha R6 (race)

apriliaforum expert
    The only thing wrong with that rule is that they rescinded it to allow Marc to join Repsol Honda. I think most fans saw that as politicking to favour the Spanish

The only thing wrong with the rule is factories should be able to hire whatever rider they want to, regardless if they are a rookie or not. It was only in effect for a few years anyway - good riddance!
    WMRRA #98
    2013 KTM 990 SMT (street)
    2009 Yamaha R6 (race)

On his best day, Spies wouldn't even make a good pimple on Rossi's ass.
    03 BMW Rockster, 07 (USA) Aprilia Tuono R, 07 KTM 990 Adventure, 2006 SR50 Factory Ditech, 2009 RS125.

Cogito ergo vroom - I think therefore I ride.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple J View Post
    The only thing wrong with the rule is factories should be able to hire whatever rider they want to, regardless if they are a rookie or not. It was only in effect for a few years anyway - good riddance!
    I think it was brought in like thr draft rule, to let the lesser teams get a chance of some new talent.but the rule was waived for Marquez.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by V4Victory View Post
    I think it was brought in like thr draft rule, to let the lesser teams get a chance of some new talent.but the rule was waived for Marquez.
    Yeah, the rule had, in my opinion, good intentions. The premise was that the newest hot talent would have to spend some time on a satellite team first. That would allow those teams to both benefit from the skills of the new talent while also allowing the new riders to get their feet wet in a less pressure environment.
    I did not have an issue with the rule one way or the other. I only took issue with it being implemented and abandoned based on the whims of the top team(s).

Quote Originally Posted by Prospected View Post
    Here in the States, Spies is looked at more as a condescending rich kid di#khead rather than a national icon like Stoner who hung it up early. The unfortunate part is that he keeps opening his mouth to remind us all why...
    Speak for yourself.

Spies did things that not many have been able to achieve. Handily beat one of the best racers in AMA Superbike. Won in dominating style in WSBK as well as take the championship. Won on a GP bike, which many we respected riders were never able to achieve. All while coming across as pretty damned humble. So far as WERA boards or any other racer boards, they area a cesspool of BS, which is why I don't bother looking at them anymore. Josh Herrin use to go on the WERA board quite often and talk smack too.
    Last edited by meanstrk; 07-02-2019 at 02:36 PM.
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    Colin Edwards RSV R Mille #066 (Sold now. Sigh...)
    2007.5 Tuono

For custom paint work, check out https://www.facebook.com/Trading-Paint-162751633826626/

apriliaforum expert
    I have no doubt some people don't like Spies. But I never had an issue with him. His mom, she seems a bit wack. But I don't blame him for her.
    Spies was an amazing talent. You don't win like that if you aren't. He never really got a fair shake in GP, too much BS and odd failures. He is likely too injured by now, but I would love to see him race again.
    Full disclosure, I actually own a Ben Spies T-shirt from when he was in GP. No real reason, I just thought it was a cool shirt for an American rider.

apriliaforum expert
    Spies seemed to be a top level guy but maybe not quite alien, and he did have rotten luck while he was in motogp.
    A bit like James Toseland, imo. He was also a really fast guy but I guess he also had a lot of bad luck in his motogp career..

apriliaforum expert cggunnersmate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OlliW View Post
    Spies seemed to be a top level guy but maybe not quite alien, and he did have rotten luck while he was in motogp.
    A bit like James Toseland, imo. He was also a really fast guy but I guess he also had a lot of bad luck in his motogp career..
    Toser never really seemed to get a handle on the GP bikes either, granted his tenure was VERY brief that I barely remember him being there let alone his results but he came into the same team Spies did and Spies was quickly challenging and getting a couple podiums on the Tech 3 bike and finished the season well ahead of his teammate CE. Toser never cracked the top 5 and seemed lucky to get in the top 10 in 2009.
    Brent
    Chief Gunnersmate
    U.S. Coast Guard (retired)
    Orlando Area
    '12 Tuono V4
    '03 Tuono (For Sale)
    '01 Speed Triple (RIP) 8/26/11
    '98 GSXR 600 (traded for the Tuoldo)
    '86 VFR Interceptor (died in Puerto Rico 20 years ago)

apriliaforum expert Powerful Pierre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cggunnersmate View Post
    Toser never really seemed to get a handle on the GP bikes either, granted his tenure was VERY brief that I barely remember him being there let alone his results but he came into the same team Spies did and Spies was quickly challenging and getting a couple podiums on the Tech 3 bike and finished the season well ahead of his teammate CE. Toser never cracked the top 5 and seemed lucky to get in the top 10 in 2009.
    Seem to remember Toseland being front row in his very first Motogp race but he also got a lot of flack from the incumbent riders for his 'overaggressive, WSBK style riding'.

They don't seem quite so precious in the Marquez era..............

Quote Originally Posted by meanstrk View Post
    Speak for yourself.

Spies did things that not many have been able to achieve. Handily beat one of the best racers in AMA Superbike. Won in dominating style in WSBK as well as take the championship. Won on a GP bike, which many we respected riders were never able to achieve. All while coming across as pretty damned humble. So far as WERA boards or any other racer boards, they area a cesspool of BS, which is why I don't bother looking at them anymore. Josh Herrin use to go on the WERA board quite often and talk smack too.
    Fair play! As you note, the guy did twist a throttle pretty hard, and he always interviewed as a decent sort of joker!

I don’t get some of the US guys really. You’ve had fuck all in recent years (like the last 25 odd sans Nicky’s well deserved title), and when you do get a heavy hitter you piss on him... maybe that’s why your guys don’t punch hard.. everyone needs support!
    Gen 1 Tuono
    Tuono V4

I give credit where it is due. Spies was an accomplished rider, but the injuries ended it. Hayden was never the best, but he won on consistency and some luck, both good and bad. I REALLY wish that Cameron Beaubier would go the WSBK or maybe Josh Herrin if he continues to show pace as he has been. I have been watching some of the up and coming kids and wondering if they hold some world level talent. Rocco Landers has been exceptional this year in Junior Cup.
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    Colin Edwards RSV R Mille #066 (Sold now. Sigh...)
    2007.5 Tuono

For custom paint work, check out https://www.facebook.com/Trading-Paint-162751633826626/

Quote Originally Posted by meanstrk View Post
    I give credit where it is due. Spies was an accomplished rider, but the injuries ended it. Hayden was never the best, but he won on consistency and some luck, both good and bad. I REALLY wish that Cameron Beaubier would go the WSBK or maybe Josh Herrin if he continues to show pace as he has been. I have been watching some of the up and coming kids and wondering if they hold some world level talent. Rocco Landers has been exceptional this year in Junior Cup.
    I don’t think your domestic racing develops talent the way it once did, AND, as Mat Maladin said, “why would I go to WSBK to take a pay cut”? Your guys are happy, providing good entertainment, and earning a good honest living, but it will not create another world champion. Hey, not that I’m a fan, but when was the last time you had a F1 contender....... that’s not a slag by the way, it’s an observation of fact. Why fuck around with F1 when you can sleep at home each night and race Indy!
    Gen 1 Tuono
    Tuono V4

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast