Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The TET offensive

The TET offensive

After moaning about situations/ money/ life events are preventing us from heading off into the distant sunset on some overseas adventure, ytc1 and I have come up with a little home grown plan to ruin our bikes which have, at last, been performing quite well as of recent

The plan is to complete the UK arm of the trans-European trail, known as the TET. It is a 1719 mile route from Newcastle to Dover heading on as much green lane as possible.

However, as consummate cowards, we're not going to just rock up to Newcastle with half a tank of fuel and big grins. Were going to spilt it up into a few days here and there.

We're going to try out of part of the route close to home where we can easily limp back home and spend a lot of time crying.

So Day1 will be meet at Hope, Derbyshire and see if we can get through the peaks to Congleton. I know a lot of the trails on this route and know they are easily travesable on a Peg with 50/50 tyres.

Anyone who wants to come along is welcome. However a dropped bike is a certainty! Sat 13th July.

It reminds me of back in 'Nam!
    “If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.” Douglas Adams

apriliaforum Member
    Sounds brilliant Dobbi, will this leg just be a one day thing as I have to pick up 'Her Most Expensiveness' from the airport on Sunday 14th?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Nice, i just completed the Romanian part of the TET

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WmfYG767EA

Now that looks like magic!

I loved the look of those grassed tracks leading up into the mountains.

How did you feel the Peg coped with the gnarly bits?
    “If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.” Douglas Adams

apriliaforum prov-nov
    On the mountains the grass was on clay so it span up and spat you sideways. On the gnarly bits, absolutely fine. The engine is awesome, just chugges. Only real big problem was that rear shock, it's shocking how undersprung it was. Bottomed it out at least 5 times a day and was nursing it.

Interesting to hear. I know the rear bottoms out, as well as the front, a lot from my off road experience of the Peg.

I've never been too bothered to get any upgrades as my off-roading never amounts to more than a day here, a day there.

Not sure I want to spend the £1000+ to upgrade the suspension when I can nurse it through harder sections by significantly reducing speed and going a little slower than a prefered rate.

You can uprate the pre=sprung level of the standard rear shock if you are finding it bottoming out too often. This may help but making hte spring harder can upset all sorts of suspension characteristics. There should be a tool in your toolkit.

apriliaforum Member
    On my first loaded trip up to Scotland I notice how easily the rear bottomed out. Wound the spring up and compression damping to max but it didn't make much difference. I've since fitted a Aprilia Tuono shock on the rear, fits right in apart from a couple of packing washers in the top mount and it feels like a different bike. There's a link on here somewhere.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Thats only in extreme circumstances, the Pegaso on the UK TET route would be more than enough, anyone who's worried shouldn't be. It's an easy bike to use and forgiving.

Quote Originally Posted by Boisty View Post
    On my first loaded trip up to Scotland I notice how easily the rear bottomed out. Wound the spring up and compression damping to max but it didn't make much difference. I've since fitted a Aprilia Tuono shock on the rear, fits right in apart from a couple of packing washers in the top mount and it feels like a different bike. There's a link on here somewhere.

Hi boisty do you know if the tuono shock would fit my strada.
    Not sure if the strada and the trail have the same dimensions? Regards Robbie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

apriliaforum Member
    Sorry Robbie, I don't really know. Dobbi might be the one to ask!

if you look back at the threads it looks like fedro has changed his strada to the tuono and he likes it. from what I see, it is better suited size wise to the trail, but might need adjustment to help with off road.

I can't see a road bikes rear suspension being better at off road than something at least designed to give a longer travel such as which lives on the trail, so i'm a little scheptical, but always willing to hear people's experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by llamamoo View Post
    Thats only in extreme circumstances, the Pegaso on the UK TET route would be more than enough, anyone who's worried shouldn't be. It's an easy bike to use and forgiving.
    That is useful to hear. I can't see it being too much of a problem, especially when there is two of you.

apriliaforum newb
    Could be a possibility I'll keep you posted
    Barks

Quote Originally Posted by llamamoo View Post
    On the mountains the grass was on clay so it span up and spat you sideways. On the gnarly bits, absolutely fine. The engine is awesome, just chugges. Only real big problem was that rear shock, it's shocking how undersprung it was. Bottomed it out at least 5 times a day and was nursing it.
    My suspension suffered in Mongolia
    A square Peg in a round hole - http://ytc1.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Boisty View Post

I just wear holes in the under seat pan .....
    A square Peg in a round hole - http://ytc1.blogspot.co.uk/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast