Thread: Odd drips under my 2009 Scarabeo 200

apriliaforum newb

Odd drips under my 2009 Scarabeo 200

I'm hoping some of you can help me identify just what might be dripping out of Scarabeo 200. I first noticed that something was running down the center stand, but just here and there. In the last week, there have been a few more steady drops on the ground, right when put it up on the stand after a ride. Seems light in color and oily, so my first thought was liquid coolant but my operating temps have remained fairly normal. I am at about 14,250 on the odometer, daily commuter. Anyone have any experience with this? And is it okay to ride if it produces drips in my garage?

apriliaforum Member
    Have you considered checking the coolant level?

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by jlindh View Post
    Have you considered checking the coolant level?
    Yes, but looks like I need to take the front part off, below the handle bars. I've never been able to see through or into that MAX - MIN "window" inside the glove box. Do you happen to know if you can top off with any sort of universal coolant or do I need the proper Agip kind?

apriliaforum expert
    How is the oil engine oil level? If the o-rings on the drain plug and oil filter are not being replaced at least every other oil change you will start having drips.

As for coolant a 2009 should be ready for its fifth coolant flush and change. What coolant did you put in after the last coolant flush in 2017 red, yellow, green or blue? Does whats dripping have the same dye in it as the coolant?

Brakes should also be ready for their fifth fluid flush and refill.

apriliaforum newb
    Engine oil level looks full to me, of course I always wonder if I am supposed to screw the dipstick in all the way in order to check level. It sounds like I am a few rounds behind on some of these flushes and refills (mainly as I was arm-twisting an Aprilia motorcycle dealer near me to do maintenance and they always seemed a bit reluctant.) Brake fluid levels look correct so I'm thinking it must be coolant. Planning to remove front to add coolant, but I cannot tell the color since I can't ever seem to see anything on that MAX - MIN level in glovebox. If I am adding a 50/50 universal coolant, can I use any color?

apriliaforum expert
    You really need to look from underneath the bike to see how high up the leak is. A coolant leak will usually come from around the water pump weep hole which is above the oil drain and filter so if the leak is from above the oil drain/filter then look at the water pump and its hoses and if the leak is from higher than there its time to look higher up at the valve cover gasket and head gasket or possibly even the plug on the timing port, then you would also check the upper coolant hose connected to the thermostat and the thermostat housing and the coolant bleed valve.

If you are not using a funnel when adding oil your drip could also be from oil being spilled when adding oil. The o-ring on the dipstick also wears out and you can get a drip from there too.

The 2009 Scarabeo is a bit different from the bikes with Piaggio engines since it uses a Chinese built engine that has no oil cup/cup/sump bolted to the left side of the bike, has the oil fill and oil pump on the opposite side of the bike compared to the piaggio 200, 250 and 300cc engines and the thermostat on the left side of the head instead of on top of it.

At this point I would not just add coolant but do a complete flush using a 50/50 mix of white vinegar/distilled water and do a complete inspection of the motor to determine exactly where the source of the leak is. It will be a lot more inconvenient to blow the engine than to vet this out before it becomes a major problem. Usually once the engine is cool you just turn the handlebars to the right and access the cap on the overflow tank to check the condition of the coolant using a bright light however on the 2009 Chinese 200 it may need to be checked from the radiator cap on the right side of the bike after turning the handlebars to the left.

Also check that you do not have something in the under seat storage compartment that is leaking. Some have had some emergency fluids, Gator Aid, etc stored there start leaking and making drips and went crazy trying to find them when it was just something they had stored under the seat had sprung a leak and was dripping down over the engine.
    Last edited by Rockynv; 06-26-2019 at 11:14 AM.

apriliaforum newb
    Thank you Rocky for this extraordinary amount of info and insight....that's why I come here! I have not attempted my own flush before but will give it a shot!