Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bike wonít start

apriliaforum expert dadsafrantic's Avatar

Bike wonít start

Cranks fine. Ignition doesnít happen. Wth? Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dadsafrantic

2015 Red Caponord #64
    2008 Mana Grey #81, hyperpro springs and shock, gpr furuore, rigid lights, bark busters, kaoko throttle lock, puig touring screen

Any error codes or alarms? Have you tried with the side stand retracted? Is the fuel pump running? All fuses intact?

When mine did this, I couldn't find any obvious faults so did a reset on the computers (pull out the master fuses for a few minutes) and all was well again. There is a quite a complex sequence of events that the bike runs through on start up so you might have to chase down the relays in sequence to check if one is going down.
    2009 Mana GT ABS; Andreani fork cartridges with uprated springs; Dorsoduro hand guards and heated grips; 30mm handlebar risers; Digital tachograph: Modified woodcraft folding brake pedal; R&G frame sliders

Quote Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
    Any error codes or alarms? Have you tried with the side stand retracted? Is the fuel pump running? All fuses intact?

When mine did this, I couldn't find any obvious faults so did a reset on the computers (pull out the master fuses for a few minutes) and all was well again. There is a quite a complex sequence of events that the bike runs through on start up so you might have to chase down the relays in sequence to check if one is going down.
    Thanks Andy. Side stand up. No error codes. I donít recall hearing the fuel pump but I had ear plugs in. I didnít have time to check the fuses as I was headed to work. Iíll start looking at fuses tonight. Which is the first to start with?

Dadsafrantic

2015 Red Caponord #64
    2008 Mana Grey #81, hyperpro springs and shock, gpr furuore, rigid lights, bark busters, kaoko throttle lock, puig touring screen

Here's a grab from the owners manual that details the fuses. (Note; the last one has a typo and should have I not E)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mana Fuse Box.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	383239
    2009 Mana GT ABS; Andreani fork cartridges with uprated springs; Dorsoduro hand guards and heated grips; 30mm handlebar risers; Digital tachograph: Modified woodcraft folding brake pedal; R&G frame sliders

Bike wonít start

Quote Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
    Here's a grab from the owners manual that details the fuses. (Note; the last one has a typo and should have I not E)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mana Fuse Box.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	383239
    Cool thanks. I hope itís the problem. My normal 45 minute commute into San Francisco took 2 hours. It was kind of relaxing but as a one off. Weíll see how going home is.

I was just thinking. My power outlet doesnít shut off with the ignition. Is it normal behavior?

Dadsafrantic

2015 Red Caponord #64

I was just thinking. My power outlet doesn’t shut off with the ignition. Is it normal behavior?
    Yeah, that's normal. I use mine to keep my phone charged with a USB adapter and realised it remained live as the tell tale light on the adapter stayed on after the ignition was switched off. I have to remember to unplug the adapter when the bike isn't being used. Interestingly the interior light is switched off with the ignition.

That didnít seem to work. Everything did reset though I think. Some noises down in front when I put the main fuses back in place. Is there a particular order to do? Iím putting the battery on a charger for a full charge in hopes that it would make a difference.

Dadsafrantic

2015 Red Caponord #64

Btw going home was over 2 hours.

Dadsafrantic

2015 Red Caponord #64

Is the motor spinning over on the starter? If so pull a plug cap, stick a plug in it and earth it against the head then spin it over and check the spark. Is it fat and blue? If so it's likely good. That leaves fuel.

Take the fuel filler off and see if you can see if there is fuel swirling around in the tank when the pump primes when the ignition is on. If it is I'd suspect that either the filter has blown off the hose or, if it's a two part plastic/aluminium filter it may of split at the seam between the two halves.
    Professional Goat Burster.

Quote Originally Posted by pete roper View Post
    Is the motor spinning over on the starter? If so pull a plug cap, stick a plug in it and earth it against the head then spin it over and check the spark. Is it fat and blue? If so it's likely good. That leaves fuel.

Take the fuel filler off and see if you can see if there is fuel swirling around in the tank when the pump primes when the ignition is on. If it is I'd suspect that either the filter has blown off the hose or, if it's a two part plastic/aluminium filter it may of split at the seam between the two halves.
    Thanks. Iíll check this out when I get home.

Dadsafrantic

2015 Red Caponord #64

hey pete,

i'm not sure if i see the filter in the schematics for the parts. there isn't a filter listed. i see a valve listed between the tank and the carbon cannister. (860138 Valve)
    i'm just trying to get prepared for when (if) i get home today. huge state inspection at work today. (health care)
    Dadsafrantic

2015 Red Caponord #64

It’s probably not listed as a separate part in the schematic . I’ll look when I get home, I’m at the pub at the moment finding out the details of a manslaughter prosecution of a bloke in Bungendore and his mum! People killing other people doesn’t happen here!

Sorry to hear about that. Crazy world

Dadsafrantic

2015 Red Caponord #64

Itís probably not listed as a separate part in the schematic . Iíll look when I get home, Iím at the pub at the moment finding out the details of a manslaughter prosecution of a bloke in Bungendore and his mum! People killing other people doesnít happen here!
    Okay I finally got a chance to look at both things you suggested. The spark is there. The fuel tank has no swirl when I key the ignition. All the fuses are intact as well. Iím wondering if itís the fuel pump. I donít hear anything like I hear on the caponord.

Dadsafrantic

2015 Red Caponord #64

When you turn on the key you should be able to hear the pump prime. It runs for about four seconds and then stops. Get your lug 'ole down close to the tank and then turn the ignition on. Pumps are fairly reliable. It would be more likely to be the relay I'd guess but it could be the pump itself.

Pete

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast