Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bike wonít start

apriliaforum expert dadsafrantic's Avatar
    Iíll be finding the relay when I get home. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dadsafrantic

2015 Red Caponord #64
    2008 Mana Grey #81, hyperpro springs and shock, gpr furuore, rigid lights, bark busters, kaoko throttle lock, puig touring screen

What mileage has the bike done? I ask as I know fuel pumps on GS BMWs seem to fail at about 60000 miles and there seems to be a lot of crossover of components between BMW and Aprilia. Both sourced from European suppliers, I guess. There isn't a lot of complaints on the forum about fuel pumps so they must be pretty reliable as Pete says. It might also be worth checking it isn't a blocked fuel line if you can't find an electrical fault.
    2009 Mana GT ABS; Andreani fork cartridges with uprated springs; Dorsoduro hand guards and heated grips; 30mm handlebar risers; Digital tachograph: Modified woodcraft folding brake pedal; R&G frame sliders

Quote Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
    What mileage has the bike done? I ask as I know fuel pumps on GS BMWs seem to fail at about 60000 miles and there seems to be a lot of crossover of components between BMW and Aprilia. Both sourced from European suppliers, I guess. There isn't a lot of complaints on the forum about fuel pumps so they must be pretty reliable as Pete says. It might also be worth checking it isn't a blocked fuel line if you can't find an electrical fault.
    i don't get any pump action when i key the ignition. silence. i'm hoping the relay is bad or a wire is unplugged. the odd thing is it was fine on the ride home the evening before. the caponord makes plenty of sound as the pump gets fuel to the engine at key on. the bike only has around 46k miles. how do i determine if the relay is shot? also where the heck is it?
    Dadsafrantic

2015 Red Caponord #64
    2008 Mana Grey #81, hyperpro springs and shock, gpr furuore, rigid lights, bark busters, kaoko throttle lock, puig touring screen

Simplest way to check what is going on is to test for power at the fuel pump (you will have to take the saddle off and the tank cover). If you have power, the pump must be dead and no power means potentially a relay is dead or a broken wire or unplugged connector, etc. If you have some diagnostics the OBD code for a faulty relay is P0230.

I had a look at the wiring diagram and there seems to be several relays that control the entire fuel and ignition system all linked together. So the fact that you have a spark would point to it being a pump problem rather than a relay. However, I'm struggling to work out the sequence things are connected in, from the wiring diagram. It looks like No3 Start up relay, No28 Main injection relay, and then No29 Secondary relay are all linked in sequence. The fuel pump, injectors and coils are all on the same feed so if one of the relays was dead, I would expect the whole system to be dead. I hope this helps.
    2009 Mana GT ABS; Andreani fork cartridges with uprated springs; Dorsoduro hand guards and heated grips; 30mm handlebar risers; Digital tachograph: Modified woodcraft folding brake pedal; R&G frame sliders

Itís odd to me too. Working fine one day and not the next. Literally 11 hours later.

Dadsafrantic

2015 Red Caponord #64

Quote Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
    Simplest way to check what is going on is to test for power at the fuel pump (you will have to take the saddle off and the tank cover). If you have power, the pump must be dead and no power means potentially a relay is dead or a broken wire or unplugged connector, etc. If you have some diagnostics the OBD code for a faulty relay is P0230.

I had a look at the wiring diagram and there seems to be several relays that control the entire fuel and ignition system all linked together. So the fact that you have a spark would point to it being a pump problem rather than a relay. However, I'm struggling to work out the sequence things are connected in, from the wiring diagram. It looks like No3 Start up relay, No28 Main injection relay, and then No29 Secondary relay are all linked in sequence. The fuel pump, injectors and coils are all on the same feed so if one of the relays was dead, I would expect the whole system to be dead. I hope this helps.
    so i'm just not getting it.

first of all, as i un-install the fuel tank cover under the seat how do i remove the cable from the flapper gadget that unlocks the helmet compartment?

second how do i do an obd code thing? is it a device that you plug in?

can i test for power at the fuel pump? i have an ohm meter thing. will that work?

honestly this stuff confounds me. i can cook for any number and do magazine worthy weddings but vehicles are tough. i get started on something and have to finish another time and that's another problem in itself.
    Dadsafrantic

2015 Red Caponord #64

You can check for fault codes using the dash. The Mana Service Code is 12321.
    Professional Goat Burster.

There are 0 active codes. I have memos on dsb 07 and 08.
    i do see relays galore though. i've pulled the side covers from the fake tank area and the tank cover from the real tank. i didn't even swear. i guess now i figure out what to test electrically?

Last edited by dadsafrantic; 07-07-2019 at 05:51 PM.
    Dadsafrantic

2015 Red Caponord #64

My guess is starter solenoid simply because I've seen it a couple of times before. It's on the right hand side of the storage compartment between it and the outer cover. If you shunt across the delivery side terminals and it fires up, there's yer problem.

Quote Originally Posted by pete roper View Post
    My guess is starter solenoid simply because I've seen it a couple of times before. It's on the right hand side of the storage compartment between it and the outer cover. If you shunt across the delivery side terminals and it fires up, there's yer problem.
    So it already is spinning the starter. Just no ignition. Iíll try it when I get home. Thanks.

Dadsafrantic

2015 Red Caponord #64

ok pete's a genius for sure. it fired right up and did so several more times using the starter button. now the question is, should i replace the solenoid? i won't get a chance to put the plastics back for a couple of days anyway. also i don't see a starter solenoid in the parts catalog. i lied!! i see it. i'll see if one is available at the sf shop if not i'll order one from af1.

i owe you a scotch. andy too i think.
    Dadsafrantic

2015 Red Caponord #64

AF1 stock a generic aftermarket one that costs a fraction of the Aprilia supplied POS. If it was spinning but no spark it's more likely to be the phase sensor.

AF1 stock a generic aftermarket one that costs a fraction of the Aprilia supplied POS. If it was spinning but no spark it's more likely to be the phase sensor.
    i picked up one from the sf store. made in japan. i'm hoping to get it installed tomorrow and put the bike back together too. my 50 minute filter home is 2+ hours in the cage. the drive in is the same though. thanks again.
    Dadsafrantic

2015 Red Caponord #64

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12