Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 28 of 28

Thread: Bike wonít start

  1. #16
    apriliaforum expert dadsafrantic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Hood, Ca. USA
    Posts
    2,300
    Iíll be finding the relay when I get home. Thanks again.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dadsafrantic

    2015 Red Caponord #64
    2008 Mana Grey #81, hyperpro springs and shock, gpr furuore, rigid lights, bark busters, kaoko throttle lock, puig touring screen

  2. #17
    apriliaforum expert AndyT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Chelmsford, Essex, UK
    Posts
    676
    What mileage has the bike done? I ask as I know fuel pumps on GS BMWs seem to fail at about 60000 miles and there seems to be a lot of crossover of components between BMW and Aprilia. Both sourced from European suppliers, I guess. There isn't a lot of complaints on the forum about fuel pumps so they must be pretty reliable as Pete says. It might also be worth checking it isn't a blocked fuel line if you can't find an electrical fault.
    2009 Mana GT ABS; Andreani fork cartridges with uprated springs; Dorsoduro hand guards and heated grips; 30mm handlebar risers; Digital tachograph: Modified woodcraft folding brake pedal; R&G frame sliders

  3. #18
    apriliaforum expert dadsafrantic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Hood, Ca. USA
    Posts
    2,300
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
    What mileage has the bike done? I ask as I know fuel pumps on GS BMWs seem to fail at about 60000 miles and there seems to be a lot of crossover of components between BMW and Aprilia. Both sourced from European suppliers, I guess. There isn't a lot of complaints on the forum about fuel pumps so they must be pretty reliable as Pete says. It might also be worth checking it isn't a blocked fuel line if you can't find an electrical fault.
    i don't get any pump action when i key the ignition. silence. i'm hoping the relay is bad or a wire is unplugged. the odd thing is it was fine on the ride home the evening before. the caponord makes plenty of sound as the pump gets fuel to the engine at key on. the bike only has around 46k miles. how do i determine if the relay is shot? also where the heck is it?
    Dadsafrantic

    2015 Red Caponord #64
    2008 Mana Grey #81, hyperpro springs and shock, gpr furuore, rigid lights, bark busters, kaoko throttle lock, puig touring screen

  4. #19
    apriliaforum expert AndyT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Chelmsford, Essex, UK
    Posts
    676
    Simplest way to check what is going on is to test for power at the fuel pump (you will have to take the saddle off and the tank cover). If you have power, the pump must be dead and no power means potentially a relay is dead or a broken wire or unplugged connector, etc. If you have some diagnostics the OBD code for a faulty relay is P0230.

    I had a look at the wiring diagram and there seems to be several relays that control the entire fuel and ignition system all linked together. So the fact that you have a spark would point to it being a pump problem rather than a relay. However, I'm struggling to work out the sequence things are connected in, from the wiring diagram. It looks like No3 Start up relay, No28 Main injection relay, and then No29 Secondary relay are all linked in sequence. The fuel pump, injectors and coils are all on the same feed so if one of the relays was dead, I would expect the whole system to be dead. I hope this helps.
    2009 Mana GT ABS; Andreani fork cartridges with uprated springs; Dorsoduro hand guards and heated grips; 30mm handlebar risers; Digital tachograph: Modified woodcraft folding brake pedal; R&G frame sliders

  5. #20
    apriliaforum expert dadsafrantic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Hood, Ca. USA
    Posts
    2,300
    Itís odd to me too. Working fine one day and not the next. Literally 11 hours later.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dadsafrantic

    2015 Red Caponord #64
    2008 Mana Grey #81, hyperpro springs and shock, gpr furuore, rigid lights, bark busters, kaoko throttle lock, puig touring screen

  6. #21
    apriliaforum expert dadsafrantic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Hood, Ca. USA
    Posts
    2,300
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
    Simplest way to check what is going on is to test for power at the fuel pump (you will have to take the saddle off and the tank cover). If you have power, the pump must be dead and no power means potentially a relay is dead or a broken wire or unplugged connector, etc. If you have some diagnostics the OBD code for a faulty relay is P0230.

    I had a look at the wiring diagram and there seems to be several relays that control the entire fuel and ignition system all linked together. So the fact that you have a spark would point to it being a pump problem rather than a relay. However, I'm struggling to work out the sequence things are connected in, from the wiring diagram. It looks like No3 Start up relay, No28 Main injection relay, and then No29 Secondary relay are all linked in sequence. The fuel pump, injectors and coils are all on the same feed so if one of the relays was dead, I would expect the whole system to be dead. I hope this helps.
    so i'm just not getting it.

    first of all, as i un-install the fuel tank cover under the seat how do i remove the cable from the flapper gadget that unlocks the helmet compartment?

    second how do i do an obd code thing? is it a device that you plug in?

    can i test for power at the fuel pump? i have an ohm meter thing. will that work?

    honestly this stuff confounds me. i can cook for any number and do magazine worthy weddings but vehicles are tough. i get started on something and have to finish another time and that's another problem in itself.
    Dadsafrantic

    2015 Red Caponord #64
    2008 Mana Grey #81, hyperpro springs and shock, gpr furuore, rigid lights, bark busters, kaoko throttle lock, puig touring screen

  7. #22
    apriliaforum expert pete roper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,574
    You can check for fault codes using the dash. The Mana Service Code is 12321.
    Professional Goat Burster.

  8. #23
    apriliaforum expert dadsafrantic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Hood, Ca. USA
    Posts
    2,300
    There are 0 active codes. I have memos on dsb 07 and 08.
    i do see relays galore though. i've pulled the side covers from the fake tank area and the tank cover from the real tank. i didn't even swear. i guess now i figure out what to test electrically?

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dadsafrantic; 07-07-2019 at 05:51 PM.
    Dadsafrantic

    2015 Red Caponord #64
    2008 Mana Grey #81, hyperpro springs and shock, gpr furuore, rigid lights, bark busters, kaoko throttle lock, puig touring screen

  9. #24
    apriliaforum expert pete roper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,574
    My guess is starter solenoid simply because I've seen it a couple of times before. It's on the right hand side of the storage compartment between it and the outer cover. If you shunt across the delivery side terminals and it fires up, there's yer problem.
    Professional Goat Burster.

  10. #25
    apriliaforum expert dadsafrantic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Hood, Ca. USA
    Posts
    2,300
    Quote Originally Posted by pete roper View Post
    My guess is starter solenoid simply because I've seen it a couple of times before. It's on the right hand side of the storage compartment between it and the outer cover. If you shunt across the delivery side terminals and it fires up, there's yer problem.
    So it already is spinning the starter. Just no ignition. Iíll try it when I get home. Thanks.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dadsafrantic

    2015 Red Caponord #64
    2008 Mana Grey #81, hyperpro springs and shock, gpr furuore, rigid lights, bark busters, kaoko throttle lock, puig touring screen

  11. #26
    apriliaforum expert dadsafrantic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Hood, Ca. USA
    Posts
    2,300
    Quote Originally Posted by pete roper View Post
    My guess is starter solenoid simply because I've seen it a couple of times before. It's on the right hand side of the storage compartment between it and the outer cover. If you shunt across the delivery side terminals and it fires up, there's yer problem.
    ok pete's a genius for sure. it fired right up and did so several more times using the starter button. now the question is, should i replace the solenoid? i won't get a chance to put the plastics back for a couple of days anyway. also i don't see a starter solenoid in the parts catalog. i lied!! i see it. i'll see if one is available at the sf shop if not i'll order one from af1.

    i owe you a scotch. andy too i think.
    Dadsafrantic

    2015 Red Caponord #64
    2008 Mana Grey #81, hyperpro springs and shock, gpr furuore, rigid lights, bark busters, kaoko throttle lock, puig touring screen

  12. #27
    apriliaforum expert pete roper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,574
    AF1 stock a generic aftermarket one that costs a fraction of the Aprilia supplied POS. If it was spinning but no spark it's more likely to be the phase sensor.
    Professional Goat Burster.

  13. #28
    apriliaforum expert dadsafrantic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Hood, Ca. USA
    Posts
    2,300
    Quote Originally Posted by pete roper View Post
    AF1 stock a generic aftermarket one that costs a fraction of the Aprilia supplied POS. If it was spinning but no spark it's more likely to be the phase sensor.
    i picked up one from the sf store. made in japan. i'm hoping to get it installed tomorrow and put the bike back together too. my 50 minute filter home is 2+ hours in the cage. the drive in is the same though. thanks again.
    Dadsafrantic

    2015 Red Caponord #64
    2008 Mana Grey #81, hyperpro springs and shock, gpr furuore, rigid lights, bark busters, kaoko throttle lock, puig touring screen

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Bike wont start
    By kaplano1 in forum RS125 Euro-archive
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-25-2004, 06:50 AM
  2. Bike Wont Start!
    By Wee Jock in forum RS125 Euro-archive
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-02-2004, 10:52 AM
  3. Bike wont start
    By barnesy1977 in forum RS125 Euro-archive
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-15-2003, 08:41 AM
  4. Bike wont start HELP!!!!!
    By rob mcconnell in forum Pegaso 650 Cube and IE
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-30-2003, 04:12 AM
  5. Bike wont start
    By r1y2k in forum RSV1000 Mille, Mille R, and Mille SP (1998-2003)
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 09-19-2003, 11:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •