Thread: Akra short can

apriliaforum prov-nov

Exclamation Akra short can

hey guys,

i had a small crash where in my 350 mm evo1 system akra got damaged, but temporarily my mechanic has shortened the end canister and made it to this,

now after riding for few days i feel the bike lagging in low and mid range. i am also running an race ecu.

i am only concerned about the performance on the track, i am not bothered about the sound or looks,

should i keep using this canister or buy a new one.....

if i use this canister will it affect my top end power in any ways and affect my engine performance or the valves....

please do help.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Exhaust.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	383227

apriliaforum Member Toastynacho's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by meherzad7 View Post
    hey guys,

i had a small crash where in my 350 mm evo1 system akra got damaged, but temporarily my mechanic has shortened the end canister and made it to this,

now after riding for few days i feel the bike lagging in low and mid range. i am also running an race ecu.

i am only concerned about the performance on the track, i am not bothered about the sound or looks,

should i keep using this canister or buy a new one.....

if i use this canister will it affect my top end power in any ways and affect my engine performance or the valves....

please do help.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Exhaust.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	383227

Odd, i know there is a power difference between different length cans, but if its THAT drastic i would be concerned there is another issue.

Granted im not a doctor.

I could be mistaken but I always thought back-pressure from exhaust systems was helpful in preventing valve float which happens at very high RPMs so I'm confused why 5 inches of very minimal baffle to begin with would make any different in low to mid-range power. But yeah, I'm not a doctor either.
    2013 Aprilia Tuono
    2005 Suzuki GSX-R 750 (sold)
    2004 BMW K1200S (sold back to BMW)
    2003 BMW K1200RS (traded)
    1984 Honda VF700F Interceptor (sold)
    1978 Yamaha XS750 special (sold)
    1978 Honda CM400A Hondamatic (traded for a CD player)

apriliaforum Member
    '16 Tuono 1100 Factory

apriliaforum prov-nov
    @meherzad7 I would dyno test the motorcycle & switch exhaust for comparison. I've heard many stories about short vs long cans...silencer designs, etc. In the end, not all engine are assembled/blueprinted same, valve timings variable at assembly, & break-in variable. They might look the same, but some engines will make more & some less. Exhaust length you will need to test what your motorcycle likes.

I've had an 2017 RSV4RF with shorty SC Project CRT make more top end than the mid length SC Project CRT same day on dyno. But, it was at near 130dB noise.
    Last edited by RENNprd; 06-25-2019 at 10:54 AM.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by RENNprd View Post
    @meherzad7 I would dyno test the motorcycle & switch exhaust for comparison. I've heard many stories about short vs long cans...silencer designs, etc. In the end, not all engine are assembled/blueprinted same, valve timings variable at assembly, & break-in variable. They might look the same, but some engines will make more & some less. Exhaust length you will need to test what your motorcycle likes.

I've had an 2017 RSV4RF with shorty SC Project CRT make more top end than the mid length SC Project CRT same day on dyno. But, it was at near 130dB noise.
    We dont have any dyno in india, �� no worries will ride it on the track once to know the difference.....will keep a tab.......thank you so much guys for helping out....

so a cut down helps at high rpm but misses the low to mid range, cutting a good pipe makes no sense to me unless your after looks [or damage as in your case], as in mx the best pipes are the stock ones, for overall performance,
    had a mate that raced speedway bikes, they used to pour baby powder on the muffler, started the bike up at a certain throttle rev range and where the vibration was the least that was were they cut the muffler for the best overall power, i'de reckon it could work on both 4 or 2 stroke maybe gab could test it out,

apriliaforum expert Turbinepilot2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rengfx View Post
    Thatís great but itís not a good accurate comparison. Youíre using the Austin racing with race map but then for the other exhaust you are using your custom tuned map. To get an accurate comparison you need to use the same map for both and the same day otherwise itís apples to oranges. But there is probably some truth to dyno results but probably not that huge.

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbinepilot2 View Post
    That’s great but it’s not a good accurate comparison. You’re using the Austin racing with race map but then for the other exhaust you are using your custom tuned map. To get an accurate comparison you need to use the same map for both and the same day otherwise it’s apples to oranges. But there is probably some truth to dyno results but probably not that huge.
    I'm not doing anything

A respected tuner on the board stated from personal experience how terrible the short cans are for power compared to long, thus verifying this users experience with having theirs cut and noticing a drop in performance

And yes it is a difference if someone can perceive the change. Bottom line the Aprilia RACE MAP is made for a long Akro style pipe. The exact numbers don't matter you're correct there. Yes that graph is a Tuono (did you notice?) again who cares, the map is optimized for that style of pipe, anything less and yes you're gonna lose performance

Just verifying OP's hypothesis
    Last edited by rengfx; 06-26-2019 at 03:38 PM.
    '16 Tuono 1100 Factory

apriliaforum expert Proctologist's Avatar
    Can you maybe swap out exhaust systems with a fellow RSV4 friend for comparison? ..

Today:
    Ducati 1199 Panigale Rosso | Aprilia RSV4-R APRC ABS | Aprilia RSV 1000R (under construction)

Yesterday:
    Ducati 1098 | Suzuki GSX-R1000 | Suzuki GSX-R1100 | Kawasaki Ninja ZX600R | Suzuki TS185