Thread: 2002 Mille starter battery issue

apriliaforum newb

2002 Mille starter battery issue

hey guys, new to the group and need some help. Bought a pampered Mille last summer and then had foot surgery so just getting around to riding it and having some issues. Battery was giving me issues as I hadn't ridden it and finally replaced it recently. Kept it on a tender and rode to work today no problems. Riding home from work the starter would just start engaging as the bike was running. It stopped and I got home. Pullled up to the garage and shut it down and the starter tried to turn the bike over again, and then it all went blank. No more power, no more nothing. The negative terminal on the battery was warmer than I would expect but aside from that I now have zero power, zero anything. Hooked my tender back up to the bike and it won't seem to charge. HELP!!!

apriliaforum prov-nov OnlyLookItalian's Avatar
    Simplest place to start I think would be the starter relay. If that is good then move to the starter and do a bench test.

The starter relay was obviously sticking in the closed position. It's junk of course. The battery may be drained from continuously powering the starter. Remove the battery and see if it will charge. If it is really drained dead it is almost certainly damaged from being drained so low. Charge and test. Replace the relay before reinstalling battery.
    This is America. Use your turn signals or WE WILL KILL YOU - remember Sandra Bland

apriliaforum newb
    thanks guys...removed the battery and it won't charge...gonna order up a relay and hopefully get out from under this with just that and a new battery.

I'm guessing the starter solenoid you have fitted maybe Chinese; most people that have this problem, and there have been a few, have used Chinese poor quality replacements.
    Buy a 150A solenoid, Yamaha do one that fits. The original is rated at 50A and isn't man enough for the job.
    Actually neither is the starter motor wiring; there are replacements kits which with a decent battery will stop you having to worry about a knackered sprag clutch ever again.

My 01 Mille still has the original starter relay and starter circuit wiring. The problem is weak batteries.
    This is America. Use your turn signals or WE WILL KILL YOU - remember Sandra Bland

Quote Originally Posted by kzmille View Post
    My 01 Mille still has the original starter relay and starter circuit wiring. The problem is weak batteries.
    I also saw where the battery is grounded at the frame. But, the frame is painted therefore inhibiting the ground a bit. But that might only be on Tuonos with gold frame.
    2003 Tuono: Leo Vince slip-on, Factory Pro Chip, custom mapped Power Commander III, HiFlo AFE air filter, '00 snorkle, Forged Alum-Marchesini Wheels, Ohlins Shock, GP Suspension internal Showas, EVO Fuel Pres Modifyer, 525-16/43 final drive (after I wore out the 520), TCM low rear sets, Scorpion Lithium Battery, Pirelli Angel GT's.

I bought a Chinese Relay 4/5 winters ago ( took a Month but not electric junk), to arrive and it still works fine, my starting problems turned out to be a badly seated TPO sensor, something to be aware of when changing the relay over, thats the last box on the right side, also the new battery I bought last year, had to keep charging but truth being I have done no more than ride it to and from the MOT as I have other bikes.
    Thanks to this site and after scraped knuckles getting the four plugs out, etc she starts on the button again.
    Just cant seem to get it up for sale as despite all I love the ol gal.

apriliaforum newb
    Funny, late update to my original post. Was able to get a replacement battery from Advance Auto for free as it was only like 3 weeks old. Put in the new starter relay from AF1 Racing, no the OEM one, the other one. Keep the bike on a tender and don't ride it much so went to start it like a week late and it would turn over and not start. Fucking kidding me right???I let it sit and went out to the garage another nite to check the Tip over switch and look for other culprits, side stand, ect ect. Then I felt like a dumb ass who forgot to turn the gas on ( on bikes you used to have to do that for), and found the ground for the power commander just dangling there, shockingly I reattached it and it fired right up. Imagine that. Devil's in the details.

Glad you got it sorted out. Easy to overlook some things while trying to fix problems.

apriliaforum newb
    Thanks for all the troubleshooting...relay was bad, replaced battery & good to go!