Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Terrible crash in NH

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowandBlack View Post
    The driver refused a sobriety test in Connecticut. Connecticut DMV reported this to Massachusetts, who dropped the ball and did not suspend his license, never mind the CDL, which also should have been toast. Now the trucking company will likely declare bankruptcy and go away. Everything will be liquidated, and when the lawsuits begin, they may squeeze a few hundred thousand out of them. But the fact that the State of Massachusetts will be found negligent really opens the floodgates to a big dollar lawsuit. Should get interesting.
    We would even get notified and read the riot act in Massachusetts if one of our drivers was caught on something as simple as not having the paperwork for the diesel fuel permit with him in Connecticut. That simple infraction would eat up the profits on the next few deliveries too. Our management team was called on that infraction before the driver returned and you should have seen the blood run out of their faces when they were told how much it was going to cost them.

My brother for a simple data entry job in Florida had to smile and face the camera when he filled the cup for the drug test before he was allowed access to their facility so its hard to imagine a trucking company not having mandatory pre-employement testing.

taranaki new zealand beneath mount taranaki
    Quote Originally Posted by 02RSVVT View Post
    I drove past the crash site yesterday on my way back from Maine. Really sad to see Seven tall Crosses on the bank for the lost riders. No curve at all in the road, site is at the crest of a small hill. The riders wouldn't have had a chance at all to avoid getting hit.
    This douchebag should never have been behind the wheel, even a car, but shifty companies will hire anyone.
    Pretty bloody sad, i bet seeing seven crosses on an innocent perfectly good piece of road, makes you angry, as it could have been any bike group, or any family in their car. The mongrel bastard should never been behind the wheel.
    "Be yourself, because everybody else is taken "..............................In the shed...... Multistrada 1200, Termi full system with matching ECU, and ohlins SCU. KTM 1290 GT. Torque monster. Remus link and muffler, KTM 790 fun machine.

apriliaforum prov-nov Mike_in_nh's Avatar
    The kid driving the truck has a history of driving violation. Just recently he rolled a big truck over in Texas. Two months back he had a DWI in Connecticut, the person in charge of the Massachusetts DMV (the state the truck driver lives) resigned over dropping the ball. The 23 year old truck driver should have lost his driver's license over the drunk driving incident in Connecticut...

If it was a van with say a family of seven including the friends of the family's children on the road they too would have probably been killed. The driver was a fatal threat to everyone on the road not just the riders.
    I would hate to see this framed as a reason motorcycles are so dangerous.

KB

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

Thunder in the valley was this weekend in Maggie Valley and the bikes were everywhere. I crossed Soco Saturday afternoon behind a chrysler pacifica that was all over the road, he would veer about three quarters of the way into the oncoming lane in right-handers and then jerk the wheel back to nearly strike the inside guardrail. He ran several cars off the road but somehow avoided taking out any motorcycles. Of course there's no cell service up there so it was basically just hang back and wait for the carnage.
    When the river is low they find old bones, when they plow they always dig up chains

apriliaforum expert
    I give drivers no slack, weaving gets a 911 call and report of distracted/impaired driver. One school of thought says the highway patrols are busy enough, I say getting those people off the road is part of their job and speeders come after weavers. A momentary lapse of concentration shouldn't be cause? A moment is all it takes for you to become a stain on the pavement.
    ETV stands for Extra-Terrestrial Vehicle. The only thing better than having one is having two.

Quote Originally Posted by Raindog View Post
    Thunder in the valley was this weekend in Maggie Valley and the bikes were everywhere. I crossed Soco Saturday afternoon behind a chrysler pacifica that was all over the road, he would veer about three quarters of the way into the oncoming lane in right-handers and then jerk the wheel back to nearly strike the inside guardrail. He ran several cars off the road but somehow avoided taking out any motorcycles. Of course there's no cell service up there so it was basically just hang back and wait for the carnage.
    My wife was following an Asia lady driving, and on nearly every bend the driver would turn late on the wheel after she crossed the centre line by the vehicle width, my wife said she thought of motorcyclists, and decided to lean on the horn everytime this lady crossed the centre lane. She was waiting for an accident any minute, finally she passed, but lent on the horn letting her know. I see it often with Asian drivers, its just part of the obstacle course we ride.
    "Be yourself, because everybody else is taken "..............................In the shed...... Multistrada 1200, Termi full system with matching ECU, and ohlins SCU. KTM 1290 GT. Torque monster. Remus link and muffler, KTM 790 fun machine.

The Anal Intruder William the Third's Avatar
    Just a hunch, but I bet it had Florida plates too.
    #1 Forum Loser

1973 Harley-Davidson Aermacchi Z-90 - Restoration project
    1983 Kawasaki KZ750 Spectre - Fathers old bike
    1998 Kawasaki KE100 - My first bike at 14
    1998 Laverda Ghost Strike 668 - A fun little bike
    1999 Aprilia RS250 - Track bike
    2001 Aprilia RSV Mille - My first Aprilia
    2007 Aprilia SR50R Factory - My babe magnet
    2009 Aprilia SR50R Factory - My "help me I have a problem"

CapoEVT +1
    I could care less about speeding drivers after driving in Idaho where its 80mph and most are doing 90. Drivers doing the duck & bob are the real problem. Cell phone, prescription drugs or drunk doesn't matter, they are the killers. Hammer them with tickets and jail time and the driving fatalities go down across the board.

KB

Quote Originally Posted by William the Third View Post
    Just a hunch, but I bet it had Florida plates too.
    Close, Tennessee.
    When the river is low they find old bones, when they plow they always dig up chains

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennibear View Post
    CapoEVT +1
    I could care less about speeding drivers after driving in Idaho where its 80mph and most are doing 90. Drivers doing the duck & bob are the real problem. Cell phone, prescription drugs or drunk doesn't matter, they are the killers. Hammer them with tickets and jail time and the driving fatalities go down across the board.

KB

Here its the duck and bob speeders in a hurry to go nowhere while on vacation. Most are from the North or Canada bobbing and weaving through a 40 with a bike lane and school bus stops at 60+ mph. Call a rotary a round-a-bout and they become clueless. They don't appear to know the difference between a Yield and Stop sign either. They also have a problem with walking and can't seem to grasp the signs that say cross only in the designated cross walks and pedestrians must obey the signals. Too many suicidal walkers that appear to be chanting "pedestrians have the right of way" somehow believing that it will defy the laws of physics when they jump out from between parked cars into traffic.

You want to bump up past the speed limit by 5% that's one thing but 10/20% or greater that's unacceptable.

The late spring though mid fall here are also know as "Tread Separation Season". You ride tires formulated for Norther States here anywhere close to their MAX rated speed and your courting tread separation even on a new tire. Tires are rated by one of two basic tests with the lesser being running them loaded at the desired target speed for 10 minutes at an ambient temperature of 77 degrees F and if it doesn't fail all tires of that design pass while the more stringent test is to load and run the tire at the target speed for 1 hour at an ambient temperature of 100 degrees F. Yesterday effective ambient temps were at 105 degrees so most tires by either test will have a much lower MAX Straight Line Safe Speed than their 10 minute to 1 hour speed rating indicates. The tire speed rating tests do not take bobbing and weaving into account either.

Speeding in hot weather and its related tread separation can and does put others at risk even if the driver does not loose control especially those riding motorcycles that might get knocked down or be instantly killed by the flying tread belts.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveNZ View Post
    My wife was following an Asia lady driving, and on nearly every bend the driver would turn late on the wheel after she crossed the centre line by the vehicle width, my wife said she thought of motorcyclists, and decided to lean on the horn everytime this lady crossed the centre lane. She was waiting for an accident any minute, finally she passed, but lent on the horn letting her know. I see it often with Asian drivers, its just part of the obstacle course we ride.
    Name:  10461385_703036886399104_4668603471690318127_n.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  26.5 KB

Name:  10461385_703036886399104_4668603471690318127_n.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  26.5 KB
    I know, not fair to stereo type, but quite often when we are out driving, and we see something dodgy by another driver, we have bets on who's behind the wheel, i most often win that bet.

apriliaforum expert 2nd Childhood's Avatar
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    When I was younger I was afraid I'd die riding. Now that I'm old and falling apart, I'm afraid I won't.

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd Childhood View Post
    That's pretty fucked up, seven people dead, ostensibly because of poor procedure.
    seesecurity.com.au

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast