Thread: Problems after rebuild

apriliaforum newb

Problems after rebuild

Hi guys! I need your help.
    I was rebuilding my rs engine last year. I also cleaned carbs with full reassembling. Nowadays i can't get the correct work of engine.
    When enabled choke during warm up, it suddenly grows up and does not respond to the throttle handle. This happens with any needle settings.
    All jets are standard for mk2 carbs
    What i have already checked:
    - i checked the float height as in manual (about 7.1mm)
    - i replaced the gaskets in carbs
    - i checked the air solenoids (it's ok)
    - i sealed the intake valves and manifolds
    - i also bought a transparent spark plug to see the colour of flash during idling (it is blue, so it means that the mix is poor)

i'm locating in Russia, and i'm the second owner of my bike here.
    what else i have stupidly done: once i messed up the wires of battery, and the fuse blown. (may be it cause the damade of cdi??? and air jets are not working correctly???)
    What else can be the reason? Thank you!

step 1: check for air leaks

step 2: reassemble vacuum hoses on solenoids according to service manual

step 3: re check and re jet carburetor to correct spec

Get your confidence back with Aprilia.

caution: the use of motorcycles may be habit forming. side effects include purchasing multiple examples of the same bike, in different states of tune, different years, or different models altogether. some motorcycles may be not running when purchased. some parts are no longer available. there are rare instances where aprilias are bought over the internet and upon arrival, they are not as were originally disclosed. there is a small group of people who cannot handle two stroke engines and motorcycle maintenance. if this is the case, you may not be a candidate for Aprilia RS250's.

Aprilia. Ask your doctor if the RS250 is right for you.

apriliaforum Junkie
    As above really it does sound like a carburettor issue.
    Are the throttle cables set correctly like they are not stuck half open or one is alot different to the other.
    Is the choke plunger in good condition is the spring in with the choke plunger.
    Power valves not stuck open

apriliaforum newb
    Thanks! Will try it this weekend. Vacuum hoses as in manual. Jets are also as in original. Throttle cables set as in manual (left one is 0.7 height) and there is no differences between. Choke plungers are also checked. Exhaust valves are clean and move easily. One thing i can't understand: That the fuel level 7.1mm under the point and 8mm float height by manual may contradict each other?

apriliaforum Junkie
    Have you checked the carb filters..?

apriliaforum newb
    of course

have you balanced the engine using the grey wire??
    Your powervalves, carbs and oil pump all have alignment marks that must line up when you do the grey wire test

apriliaforum newb
    if I'm not mistaken, grey wire is only for powervalves. I checked it too. Carbs and oil pump are by marks. I'll read the manual attentively. I also didn't checked intake hoses on manifolds, or may be the gasoline is too old in tank.

crank seals ?

Get your confidence back with Aprilia.

caution: the use of motorcycles may be habit forming. side effects include purchasing multiple examples of the same bike, in different states of tune, different years, or different models altogether. some motorcycles may be not running when purchased. some parts are no longer available. there are rare instances where aprilias are bought over the internet and upon arrival, they are not as were originally disclosed. there is a small group of people who cannot handle two stroke engines and motorcycle maintenance. if this is the case, you may not be a candidate for Aprilia RS250's.

Aprilia. Ask your doctor if the RS250 is right for you.

apriliaforum newb
    So.. I must check my guesses about the float cameras in carbs. Left seal on crankshaft i also replaced by new one. It is sad, if the seals died in 15k kilometers. Next week i'll take 32mm vj22 carbs from working bike to replace mine and try to locate the problem.

apriliaforum newb
    So.... if someone interested. I again checked carbs. Fuel level in it was 7.1 as in manual, but the float height was about 10mm. I fixed it to 8mm, so now the fuel level is much more as in instruction. But it suddenly works! The problem is solved. As i understood, last time, the fuel level was not enough to feed the pilot jet

Nice to get a happy ending

apriliaforum newb
    Q - how exactly do you measure and set the float height correctly on these carbs ? Sorry I've never done it (yet), but am about to.

I have the manual and a micrometer, just what do I measure, from where, in what position exactly ? Picture or video pointers most welcome, Thank you

Thanks

Robert

apriliaforum newb
    Hey, i use calipers for this. All information you can find in manual. Firstly i fix the fuel level as in manual by bending the tongue of float. I also printed a stand with 30 degree angle. But, as you know, it brought problems and the float level was about 10-11mm. So, now my fuel level is more than recommended. In future i would try to find the compromise between this requirements. I would gladly provide the photos, but I really don’t want to disassemble it again) Maybe later Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Новый точечный &#1.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	383797