Thread: When Aprilia was vying for the win, a classic!!!

When Aprilia was vying for the win, a classic!!!

I can imagine how some of us die hard Aprilia fans have been feeling these last few years... What's it going to take to get Aprilia on the podium and even a win!?
    I can remember when the two strokes was the technology for power in all the classes and the Aprilia's dominated for years...
    Well, I thought it would be a good way to encourage those that need encouraging with one of the best races involving a truly special Aprilia motorcycle and it's rider!
    Sit back and enjoy! And let's keep our faith that soon enough the Aprilia's will be on top once again!
    https://youtu.be/IWiM2EAux0o

i keep the faith, as i am i die hard, but it has been rough........
    hubris-that's the game with the blocks, right?

/ˌʌɪəˈtɒlə/

I am gunna put it out there and say that mm will win two more titles with Honda to equal the hated ones record. Then jump ship to another bike. I’m gunna say Suzuki or Ducati. Yuall heard it here first.

ape66

Aja - When all my dime dancin' is through
    Quote Originally Posted by Brazimoto View Post
    I can imagine how some of us die hard Aprilia fans have been feeling these last few years... What's it going to take to get Aprilia on the podium and even a win!?
    I can remember when the two strokes was the technology for power in all the classes and the Aprilia's dominated for years...
    Well, I thought it would be a good way to encourage those that need encouraging with one of the best races involving a truly special Aprilia motorcycle and it's rider!
    Sit back and enjoy! And let's keep our faith that soon enough the Aprilia's will be on top once again!
    https://youtu.be/IWiM2EAux0o
    Didn’t win, let alone dominate, in 500s.

Rotax and Suzuki power, wasn’t it?
    “The sad thing is you will never be freer or more yourself than when it’s five in the morning, the sun’s about to rise and you’re out of your mind” Nick

“Trump? He’s as stupid as a man who bought his stupid at a two for one sale.” Nancy.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    They were doing well in WSBK until that whole MotoGP thing came along.

apriliaforum expert
    The first 250´s were Rotax tandem twins, but don´t know about the later V2´s, think they were Aprilia´s own engines.
    I remember a Finnish guy running the tandem twin in the local championships, it had a distinctive sound as it fired simultaneously on both cyl´s (big bang?)
    The 500 was basically a big-bore version of the 250, sweet handling but doesn´t help if your 20-30kph down on speed on straights to the V4 500´s

McWilliams has a close relationship with Aprilia and in particular with Technical Director Jan Witteveen after several seasons together in the 250cc and 500cc classes. During the 2000 season he took a memorable podium finish at Donington Park when he challenged Valentino Rossi for victory riding the V-twin 500, before clinching his first ever victory on a 250 in the Dutch TT at Assen a year later. The veteran racer also runs an Aprilia dealership in his home town of Belfast.
    http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2003/1...aprilia/135634

In 1999 I moved to Aprilia. We had a couple of Italian mechanics and that really got things going; we started getting results, again on a kit engine. That led to a factory ride in 2000 with Aprilia on the V twin 500. So the 250 kind of saw the progression of my career. If I’d stayed with 500s, I’d been out of GPs around about ’97 or ’98, but I had a couple of factory bikes with Aprilia for 2000 and also with Kenny Roberts on the KR3, and 2004 back with Aprilia again.
    https://amcn.com.au/editorial/now-je...er-movie-star/
    Last edited by bloodnutt; 06-19-2019 at 08:13 AM.
    Do not go gentle into that good night,

Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

apriliaforum expert cggunnersmate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rags2Rooster View Post
    They were doing well in WSBK until that whole MotoGP thing came along.
    Aprilia was in GP's long before and more consistently than WSBK. Dominated the 125 and 250cc classes and raced in the 500's. The RS Cube was ahead of it's time, first GP bike with pneumatic valves and ride by wire throttle but it came from Cosworth, basically lopped 3 cylinders off one of their F1 engines and never got the thing to work right as a power plant let alone in concert with Aprilia's chassis.

They briefly ran the RSV1000 Mille in SBK racing with race homologated specials with engines fettled by Cosworth. Never really competitive and this was all around the same time, Beggio was spending WAAY too much money (also bought Moto Guzzi and Laverda) and pretty much bankrupted the company leading to the Piaggio buyout. THEN we got the brief SBK success with the RSV4.
    Last edited by cggunnersmate; 06-26-2019 at 08:14 AM.
    Brent
    Chief Gunnersmate
    U.S. Coast Guard (retired)
    Orlando Area
    '12 Tuono V4
    '03 Tuono (For Sale)
    '01 Speed Triple (RIP) 8/26/11
    '98 GSXR 600 (traded for the Tuoldo)
    '86 VFR Interceptor (died in Puerto Rico 20 years ago)

apriliaforum expert
    London, (England) 213miles NNW Paris (France)
    They briefly ran the RSV1000 Mille in SBK racing with race homologated specials with engines fettled by Cosworth. Never really competitive
    Really ? I remember Troy Corser winning a few races

apriliaforum expert cggunnersmate's Avatar
    I'll concede that Corser started well,especially 2000 and 2001 he won the first two races but after that he and Haga after him just managed the odd podium. By 2002 Haga was 300 points down in 4th at season end. Aprilia I guess couldn't keep pace with Honda and Ducati and Aprilia was effectively out of SBK in 2003.
    Brent
    Chief Gunnersmate
    U.S. Coast Guard (retired)
    Orlando Area
    '12 Tuono V4
    '03 Tuono (For Sale)
    '01 Speed Triple (RIP) 8/26/11
    '98 GSXR 600 (traded for the Tuoldo)
    '86 VFR Interceptor (died in Puerto Rico 20 years ago)