Thread: Headlight bulb replacement and question Big Beo 2005

apriliaforum newb

Headlight bulb replacement and question Big Beo 2005

Hello All,

So I am starting my customization for my Big Beo. I am looking into the head lights. Does anyone have a specific bulb or bulbs they recommend as a replacement ? I guess LED or HID. I see that there are two bulbs as well one for the low beam and one for the high beam.

Also more importantly I notice when I start the bike low beam bulb is the upper bulb of the two for some reason? That does not seem right. Shouldn't on the big beo the lower bulb be the one for the main headlight bulb ?

Thanks for your responses.
    "Don't be afraid to try it's how you learn"

Tmanh2o

1996 Honda Elite 80 with 3,000 miles owned since 2-1-2019
    2004 Aprilia Scarabeo 500 GT not running 3,100 original miles Purchase date 5-12-2019
    2005 Aprila Scarabeo 500 13,000 original miles Purchase date 4-10-2019
    Schwinn 1000 watt Stealth scooter 36v (2)
    Schwinn 750 watt Scooter 24v (3)

apriliaforum prov-nov
    On our 07 and 09 the low beams are on top.

Quote Originally Posted by Tmanh2o View Post
    Hello All,

So I am starting my customization for my Big Beo. I am looking into the head lights. Does anyone have a specific bulb or bulbs they recommend as a replacement ? I guess LED or HID. I see that there are two bulbs as well one for the low beam and one for the high beam.

Also more importantly I notice when I start the bike low beam bulb is the upper bulb of the two for some reason? That does not seem right. Shouldn't on the big beo the lower bulb be the one for the main headlight bulb ?

Thanks for your responses.
    The low and high beam are not very good on the 2003-2006 models. I changed my low beam to a silverstar, which helped, but then took the old low beam and clipped the tab so that it fits in the high beam slot. Now, it's at least usable, where previously, it was worthless. There are a few discussions in this forum on this subject.

I have thought about converting to an LED headlight, since there is plenty of room in there for it, but would have no idea which manufacturer/model to use... If anyone has tried any, I would be interested to hear how well it has worked.

Moving to the tail light, I found that the stock bulbs worked better than anything else, but I did put in a brake light modulator for the top case light. I posted photos of that installation previously as well. Basically, my top case led lights flash fast, then slow, then stay on, as a safety feature, all using a super cheap modulator I got from ebay or amazon (can't remember which).

apriliaforum prov-nov
    We have also found the headlights less than great. We use the brights as much as possible, have even considered aiming them down to use the brights always.

apriliaforum expert
    The Silverstars and any of the other hotter bulbs can cause the lamp housings to deteriorate more quickly as the heat causes the Mylar reflective coating to turn to dust leaving just a brown or yellow translucent plastic behind. I'd be more tempted to go LED after seeing how some have melted the lamp housing with some of the HID bulbs.

I put the Silverstars in my Sport City and it only took a few years (about 25,000 miles of riding) for the plastic reflector to start showing signs of heat damage.

On the Big Beo the reflector is only sold as part of the AP8127066 Headlight Assembly and costs around $332 so you don't want to be going through many of those.

https://www.af1racing.com/store/Scri...+%2D+AP8127066

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockynv View Post
    The Silverstars and any of the other hotter bulbs can cause the lamp housings to deteriorate more quickly as the heat causes the Mylar reflective coating to turn to dust leaving just a brown or yellow translucent plastic behind. I'd be more tempted to go LED after seeing how some have melted the lamp housing with some of the HID bulbs.

I put the Silverstars in my Sport City and it only took a few years (about 25,000 miles of riding) for the plastic reflector to start showing signs of heat damage.

On the Big Beo the reflector is only sold as part of the AP8127066 Headlight Assembly and costs around $332 so you don't want to be going through many of those.

https://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?
    tidproduct=23003&sku=AP8127066&description=Headlig ht+%2D+AP8127066
    Thanks to all who responded.

I will do a complete search around and see if there is a direct LED bulb replacement that is plug in simple. If I find it I will post. I like the LED because they are cool to the touch so not much heat in the bulb area. Also LED 12 volt consumption is next to nothing...and they look cool.
    "Don't be afraid to try it's how you learn"

Tmanh2o

1996 Honda Elite 80 with 3,000 miles owned since 2-1-2019
    2004 Aprilia Scarabeo 500 GT not running 3,100 original miles Purchase date 5-12-2019
    2005 Aprila Scarabeo 500 13,000 original miles Purchase date 4-10-2019
    Schwinn 1000 watt Stealth scooter 36v (2)
    Schwinn 750 watt Scooter 24v (3)

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Tmanh2o, leds do develop a good bit of heat, it's not inside the reflector, but behind it. You'll need a good heat sink or fan to prevent premature led failure or melted plastic.

I used this on my 2007. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I only need one bulb, though. This one has been utterly reliable and draws so little current, I get the flashing "burned out bulb" warning! I recommend going led instead of hid, because led doesn't need warm up time, so you can have a super bright high beam, as well as your low beam. The link below is to a two pack of bulbs that get a good rating, or you may want to get two of the ones I installed because they should fit (with some modification) in your headlight assembly.
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here's a link to my thread on changing to led on my bike.

https://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/...ight=headlight

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Thanks.