Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dorsoduro 750 then?

apriliaforum prov-nov fabiostar's Avatar

Dorsoduro 750 then?

so you folks may be the right people to get advice from. long story short, one of my bikes,a Honda firestorm with flat bars im thinking of changing , i dont need any more bhp for my needs but im thinking a 750 DD would be kinda the same performance but in a much lighter better handling chassis??

what are they like to live with?

have they known problems? anything i should be on the lookout for when i go looking to buy one?

cheers folks
    the older i get,the faster i was

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiostar View Post
    so you folks may be the right people to get advice from. long story short, one of my bikes,a Honda firestorm with flat bars im thinking of changing , i dont need any more bhp for my needs but im thinking a 750 DD would be kinda the same performance but in a much lighter better handling chassis??

what are they like to live with?

have they known problems? anything i should be on the lookout for when i go looking to buy one?

cheers folks
    Well first off the DD is no lighter than the Firestorm. The engine will be much less punchy and also has less power, it is after all only 750 cc.

It will certainly feel very different to ride, though. It has a solid chassis coupled with long travel suspension and a tall and upright seating position.

Things do go wrong. Clutch springs, water pumps, MAP sensors (and other electrical gremlins like any bike) are among the more common items on early bikes, but they're generally pretty sturdy and well engineered.
    2009 Shiver (White) | UK

Quote Originally Posted by IndelibleInk View Post
    Well first off the DD is no lighter than the Firestorm. The engine will be much less punchy and also has less power, it is after all only 750 cc.

It will certainly feel very different to ride, though. It has a solid chassis coupled with long travel suspension and a tall and upright seating position.

Things do go wrong. Clutch springs, water pumps, MAP sensors (and other electrical gremlins like any bike) are among the more common items on early bikes, but they're generally pretty sturdy and well engineered.
    cheers for that. its good to hear at least major engine problems arnt top of the list.... its a kinda more modern version then of what iv got?.. which could be just down my street.. parts etc i take it are handy to get? im in Northern Ireland and Aprilia dealers here so far over the years have proven to be......well shit actually lol...

apriliaforum expert
    I'm hoping others can chime in on problems in case my memory is selective!

Parts are generally easy to source, but they might have to come from Italy if not in stock locally, which can take a while - especially if they're on holiday (i.e. all of August) or on strike! Some suppliers have learned to bypass Aprilia UK and order direct from the factory to speed things up.

But it's an old bike by now and some of the older spec parts might be discontinued and hard to find stock of at a reasonable price.
    The engine went through a few stealth revisions, including a redesign or two of the water pump drive, with the latest being around 2013 - the oil drain is underneath, rather than on the side.

You will have best results if you can do the spannering yourself given the meagre dealership coverage - the service / workshop manual is usable at least and this forum has great coverage of the main service items. Diagnostics can largely be done with free software, too.

Luckily the new 900s have a high degree of parts commonality with the 750s, but not much in the way of quick upgrades. The 900 has a fair bit more grunt, incidentally, but the electronics are less self-serviceable for the moment.
    2009 Shiver (White) | UK

spannering i dont mind , iv had a few years of building and crashing bikes under my belt lol.... engine wise as long as its in the ballpark of a firestorm thats good enough for me.... it was just the electrics that kinda worried me a bit as iv seen friends with Aprilias, lets say have problems.. i must do a bit more reading up on these bikes and if poss get a look at one in the flesh,, they arnt something you see to often,

the age thing doesnt worry me really as both my bikes atm are 20 year old barges ..

as for the 900 i think id rather have the 750 , id rather ride the bike than get trailed round roads scaring myself. and as iv came from a supermoto race background i fancy the situp riding postion. plus iv old bones lol

oooh yeah, and the shiver version? same bike kinda dressed different i take it?

Quote Originally Posted by fabiostar View Post
    oooh yeah, and the shiver version? same bike kinda dressed different i take it?
    Bingo! My '08 Shiver has been excellent so far! Granted, I only have about 26,000km on it but it's been fantastic. What I did was found a mechanic I really like and trust and got him to do all the work I didn't trust myself doing. He was also great about finding the parts I needed and always gave me a great deal cause I referred friends to him. I think you'll enjoy the attention you get from everyone in the motorcycle world. People appreciate seeing beautiful rare bikes like Aprilias.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

apriliaforum expert
    I have a 2016 750DD and it's been bullet proof! Parts are easy to find here or even EBay. Great commuter bike (that's what I use it for) would like a little more low end grunt (like doing small wheelies) but otherwise great bike!

so thankfully so far no horror stories which is great news

apriliaforum expert
    some people have had blown engines and somewhat major problems. I've only seen that a couple times. I've been on this forum for a few years.
    Don't be a jerk... jerk

2016 KTM 250 xc
    2013 KTM 350 xcf ---------------SOLD
    2011 Husqvarna 630 ------------SOLD
    2007 KTM Superduke 990-------SOLD
    2009 Dorsoduro 750
    2003 KLX 400R
    2009 YZ450 -----------------------SOLD
    2007 ZZR600 ----------------------SOLD
    2006 CBR600RR ------------------SOLD
    2009 Ninja 250 -------------------SOLD

apriliaforum Member
    I have a shiver same engine as dorso and I abuse it pretty hard, I hit redline everytime I ride it. I change oil every 3-5000km and the megneto plug is always nice and clean.

Hello fabiostar,
    You come from a 2V cylinder bike, so the engine would be nothing new for you if you choose the dorsoduro; the HP is almost the same as for the firestorm.
    I come from a long story of sport and naked bikes (fireblade, monster, etc.) and the dorsoduro, which I do own now, is the first "supermotard" for me.
    I can tell that this new kind of riding position is.... something that I do really like. The DD has a first class frame-suspension system and gives, since the very beginning, a great riding confidence.
    I've bought the DD used with abt. 17K miles on it's back, I've run it abt. 3K miles with no one issue.
    I don't know there in Ulster, but here in italy the Aprilia dealers give the possibility of a half an hour test ride if you ask them to try a specific model. Maybe you should make a try with the Befast dealer ? I know that half an hour is nothing, but just to understand if this new riding position is ok for you.
    The shiver could be an alternative, but.... for my personal point of view, esthetically speaking, there's no choice than the DD ;-)

cheers everybody for the answers..

well i kinda went to have a nosey at one, it also appears iv bought it ..how did that happen lol.

anyhow really pleased with it, il get better pictures when i collect it on saturday.

it has a few mods.
    10k miles
    crash bungs all round
    tail tidy
    a nice set of Akra pipes, sound bloody lovely.
    comes with a service history and the owner seems to know what he is talking about so im now a DD owner..

iv already been on ebay so i have a small screen and belly pan on there way.

apriliaforum expert
    Looks tidy! Get some fresh rubber on there and you'll be giggling
    2009 Shiver (White) | UK

Don't know what tires you like or have tried but I've had great luck with the Michelin Pilot Road 3s. I will be upgrading to the Road 4s in the next month or so. I've heard good things, really long life, great grip both in the wet and the dry and, mile for mile, great value for money! I'm sure the other guys will have some input on that front as well. Glad to have ya in the club! Enjoy your new bike!

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast