Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '01 Capo with intermittend EFI 33 (and introduction)

apriliaforum newb

'01 Capo with intermittend EFI 33 (and introduction)

Hello all,

First some introductions:
    Martijn, 29, from The Netherlands, and just became owner of a '01 blue Caponord. Aside from this I also have a Moto Guzzi V11 sport.
    The idea is to go and use the Capo for commuting.

The bike starts & runs fine, but does sometimes lack a little bit of power in the midrange and during driving sometimes shows the red EFI light, sometimes it doesn't.
    When driving with the diagnostics cable connected, the EFI 33 error comes and goes.

So my first thought is possibly a poor connection on the low voltage side of the coil. Some questions:
    - Where is the front cilinder front spark plug coil located?
    - Is there anything else I should consider?

Thanks!

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinus89 View Post
    Hello all,

First some introductions:
    Martijn, 29, from The Netherlands, and just became owner of a '01 blue Caponord. Aside from this I also have a Moto Guzzi V11 sport.
    The idea is to go and use the Capo for commuting.

The bike starts & runs fine, but does sometimes lack a little bit of power in the midrange and during driving sometimes shows the red EFI light, sometimes it doesn't.
    When driving with the diagnostics cable connected, the EFI 33 error comes and goes.

So my first thought is possibly a poor connection on the low voltage side of the coil. Some questions:
    - Where is the front cilinder front spark plug coil located?
    - Is there anything else I should consider?

Thanks!
    The front cylinder coil is under the tank in front of the air box if I'm not mistaken. (Right side if you're sitting on it)
    I also believe there is a post containing the EFI codes floating around here somewhere.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Sagem coils show intermittent failures until they finally fail for good. If you are getting a 33 trouble code then that coil is gone. An '01 Capo definitely has the Sagems.
    IMHO you replace all of them because they will all fail. Lots of threads here on how to do it.

KB

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

apriliaforum newb
    Indeed, they are Sagems. I've ordered replacement (NGK's). Also ordered the readout cable. Will keep you posted, thanks for the response!

apriliaforum newb
    So, I've sorted out the EFI issues! New spark plugs as well.
    However, upon reinstallation of the tank, the most rearwards nipple broke off. This is the left one, the water drain/overflow of the tank. Any ideas on how to fix this?):

Try drilling it out and putting in another one. Or use a small extractor to try to get the piece left in the tank.
    2002 Capo Wilbers rear shock, Wilbers front progressive springs, Metal fuel connectors, polaris sh775 series regulator direct wired, silicone vacuum lines, catfish map, CNC clutch slave, autoelectrics coils (2)sides, Triumph Denso 3990's centers, k&n air filter, all LED lighting, SS brake and clutch lines, Givi tall screen, Triumph tiger 955i mirrors, dual horns. Pure copper 4 gauge battery cables. Rox risers.

Can you post the specifics and source of your coils please?
    Always good to have another source of parts.

KB

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by bkmo View Post
    Try drilling it out and putting in another one. Or use a small extractor to try to get the piece left in the tank.
    I don't really dare to drill it out as the tank is plastic. I'm more considering glueing a piece of plastic underneath, and puting another nipple in that one. So it "collects" the fluids and sends them down out of harms way.

Quote Originally Posted by Kennibear View Post
    Can you post the specifics and source of your coils please?
    Always good to have another source of parts.

KB

Yes! I've used NGK's U5008. Bought them on a Dutch online store, but freely available on the net. I only took off the angled section, not the rounded plastic surrounding as a lot of people do. With some effort I could get the coils to seat in the right place.

Our local Ace Hardware has a very good selection of stuff including nylon hose bibs that are threaded on one end with a National Pipe Thread (NPT). You could carefully drill the broken part and tap it with a small (1/8" NPT) tap and replace the nipple with a nylon one. Or use a brass or stainless steel metal one instead.
    Thanks for the coil info.

KB

apriliaforum newb
    I'm considering sourcing a tap in the right size, but are you sure it is 1/8"NPT (tapered) and not 1/8"NP (straight)?

I'm sure I would buy the fitting first and then the tap to use. Straight fittings require Teflon tape to seal. Not a problem though.
    There are metric equivalents but sourcing them in the PNW is problematical.

KB

Quote Originally Posted by Tinus89 View Post
    I'm considering sourcing a tap in the right size, but are you sure it is 1/8"NPT (tapered) and not 1/8"NP (straight)?
    Still available, but part # is now 2B001203
    Sealed using an Italian spec O ring. (4.47 mm x 1.78 mm). Part #AP8120965. Both pieces still available from Aprilia.
    I had both out years ago when coating the tank, and I believe they were either machine threads or BSP. No sealer used on the threads, and they unscrewed fairly easily. Remove your other one and have a look.

Name:  hose nipple.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  12.2 KB

Name:  schematic.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  4.6 KB
    Last edited by Stu_O; 06-20-2019 at 11:58 AM.

Great news Stu! Looks like a judicious use of an EasyOut broken bolt extractor will do it. As the fitting is already drilled just insert the right size and back it out. 10 minute fix.
    This is the correct set up.

KB

Quote Originally Posted by Kennibear View Post
    Great news Stu! Looks like a judicious use of an EasyOut broken bolt extractor will do it. As the fitting is already drilled just insert the right size and back it out. 10 minute fix.
    Right - judicious. Don't know the OP's background, but in inexperienced hands, those extractors can cause more problems than they solve when they snap off inside the broken part. Easy does it.

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by Stu_O View Post
    Right - judicious. Don't know the OP's background, but in inexperienced hands, those extractors can cause more problems than they solve when they snap off inside the broken part. Easy does it.
    Mechanical engineer by trade, and know when to be careful. I'll keep you posted! Currently away from the bike for a few days, but have ordered an easy out toolbox.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast