Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do MotoGP greats need to prove themselves on different bikes?

Aja - When all my dime dancin' is through
    Quote Originally Posted by V4Victory View Post
    "Neither Duke, Ago, Lawson nor Stoner changed brands primarily to cement their credibility."

I think Oxley is referencing the fact that Rossi jumped ship because he felt Honda were disrespecting his talent. Duke, Aggo, and co jumped ship because they felt that the bike they were riding wasn't competitive.

Here is the Honda press release, clearly Rossi wasn't going to stay. He had a 50% win ratio in those days, it was nowhere near as competitive as Motogp is now. He probably would have won the title if he'd gone to Ducati but we will never know.
    Stoner went to a better job. LCR was never going to have a winning bike, for all Ceccinello's management skills.
    “The sad thing is you will never be freer or more yourself than when it’s five in the morning, the sun’s about to rise and you’re out of your mind” Nick

“Trump? He’s as stupid as a man who bought his stupid at a two for one sale.” Nancy.

Quote Originally Posted by riot View Post
    I do not think there is a solid answer to this debate. I do like to remind the viewers though, that you reaelly really wnat to be on a Honda or a Yamaha if you want to win a championship.

In the last 35 years (since 1983, basically when Honda returned to GP with a competitive 2T) 32 of the 35 or about 91% of championships have been won on one of these two bikes. Honda has a slight nod over Yamaha with 19 to Yamaha's 17.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...orld_Champions

For any given year, a championship is a combination of the team/bike, and luck. But a consistent set of titles over the years, with multiple riders onboard, for a given team/factory can only be the result of superior knowledge and commitment.

Do I think Rossi is right, that Honda did not respect is talent and had something to prove when he moved to Yamaha - yep. At the time, people (Max Biaggi) said the Yam was crap.

Do I think Marquez could win on a Yamaha? Pretty much no doubt. As much as I like Rossi's records, I think t would be quite dramatic to see what Marquez could do on another machine - especially before he gets to willing to rest on his laurels. If he switched and won Suzuki or even a Ducati, I think I would be willing to grant him the new GOAT title.

Is Stoner's Ducati title a remarkable one? Stoner is still a top talent if ever there was one. That bike was a pile for sure, but the Bridgestone Tires, and Stoner's sheer will took it.

The Ducati factory has come a long way since Audi, and I would love to see Dovi take a title. I think he will need to be willing to really push is luck to ever do it though, as long as the Honda Marquez package stays in tact (without any major rules changes) I don't see the Duc team getting there.
    Or a Suzuki or Ducati.

Not a BMW or KTM or Kawasaki, though.
    “The sad thing is you will never be freer or more yourself than when it’s five in the morning, the sun’s about to rise and you’re out of your mind” Nick

“Trump? He’s as stupid as a man who bought his stupid at a two for one sale.” Nancy.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveNZ View Post
    Simon Crafer won only one Moto GP race, he's a legend.............................And a great commentator/interviewer...............i'll get my goat, ah coat.
    One of only a very, very few in history to even win a GP.

Only around 350 men in the 70 years GP racing has been run, in all classes.

apriliaforum expert
    London, (England) 213miles NNW Paris (France)
    Quote Originally Posted by LEDAero View Post
    Stoner went to a better job. LCR was never going to have a winning bike, for all Ceccinello's management skills.
    I think you have the wrong end of the stick there, Stoner is in this conversation for switching to Honda from Ducati, not for leaving a privateer team .

Quote Originally Posted by V4Victory View Post
    I think you have the wrong end of the stick there, Stoner is in this conversation for switching to Honda from Ducati, not for leaving a privateer team .
    He did the same when he went to HRC. He knew the Ducati had seen it's best days a couple of seasons back and he was going to a better job. There was no future with a team that didn't listen or deliver to its best asset.

apriliaforum expert
    There's no science behind this question and therefore it is all subjective.
    To me, yes you need to prove it on different manufacturers, but it doesn't mean someone who's only won on 1 bike isn't a great, just a different kind of.

If Marc ends up winning 12 titles and stays with Honda the whole time there will be some who will claim he isn't the goat. If he does it on 3 different bikes, some will say he isn't the goat. Won't bother me if he stays with Honda or changes.

apriliaforum expert
    London, (England) 213miles NNW Paris (France)
    Quote Originally Posted by 02RSVVT View Post
    If Marc ends up winning 12 titles and stays with Honda the whole time there will be some who will claim he isn't the goat. If he does it on 3 different bikes, some will say he isn't the goat. Won't bother me if he stays with Honda or changes.
    One thing that stands out with Marc is that he came to MotoGP in 2013 and not only won the title at his first attempt, but did it with Pedrosa ,who was runner up in 2012, as his team mate . I don't know if any of the other "greats" had such competition in the team to contend with , whilst finding their feet in MotoGP ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12