Thread: Difficulty selecting gears on downchange

apriliaforum Member

Difficulty selecting gears on downchange

So I have a new issue which has only come up tonight.
    Lubed my chain earlier today and went out tonight - I was really enjoying a nice zoom around with my nicely tuned engine running strongly, when I noticed slowing down and changing through 3rd 2nd 1st , id shift gear and release the gear lever and then I could hear a click a second later.

Later on at a standstill I was pressing the lever to shift down and it wasn’t shifting until I rolled the bike forward a bit.

Im worried this is a selection lever problem in the box.

My chain is very slack just now, going to order a new one tonight. Could this be anything to do with it? I might have stretched it more actually when I lubed it because I pushed quite firmly on it with a brush and turned the back wheel to clean it.

Not shifting when sitting still is normal. Having to roll a bit in order to make a gear change is normal.

If your chain is loose and you cannot take up the slack with the adjusters then you need to remove a link. I don't think the chain needs to be replaced. Just cleaning and lubricating it would not cause it to "stretch". Remember to be careful and not over tighten the chain. You need to have enough slack to be able to move the chain at least 28-30 mm. If you don't do this you will damage the bearings and cause untold grief.
    1999 RS 50
    unknown brand 80 cc BBK cast iron
    LeoVince V6 pipe
    Dellorto Phbg 21 mm cs carb
    Oil pump deleted ... Premix 32:1 Motul 800 racing oil
    12:44 gearing
    Sava MC18 tires

apriliaforum Member
    The bike wasn’t shifting into first when at a stop so that’s new , it’s always been fine. The clicking sound is a worry too. I can change down 6-5-4 as normal but 3-2-1 is not working as it should.

I’ll need to check the oil level is ok. The bike smokes a lot on startup for a couple of mins, Like enough to be clouds floating across my garden. Blue smoke. Could this be gearbox oil? Bike doesn’t idle without throttle during this burning off period, once smoke clears it idles properly.

I recently put a new clutch on it and with that and the new oil it made finding neutral much easier. Clutch is working smoothly and I don’t think there’s a problem there.

1 - Is it bad practice to hold clutch in when rolling to a stop and click down through gears? As in bad for the box ?

2 - Do I need a tool to join the new chain I’ve ordered? Got new sprockets with it, I wanted to gear my bike down a bit anyway.
    Last edited by Rory5; 06-09-2019 at 05:26 PM.
    2010 TZR50 70cc airsal
    21mm CP
    Technigas ebox

apriliaforum Member
    2. I changed my chain set today,you dont need special tools if you ordered correct lenght(numbers of links).

i would pull it apart and see...

Get your confidence back with Aprilia.

caution: the use of motorcycles may be habit forming. side effects include purchasing multiple examples of the same bike, in different states of tune, different years, or different models altogether. some motorcycles may be not running when purchased. some parts are no longer available. there are rare instances where aprilias are bought over the internet and upon arrival, they are not as were originally disclosed. there is a small group of people who cannot handle two stroke engines and motorcycle maintenance. if this is the case, you may not be a candidate for Aprilia RS250's.

Aprilia. Ask your doctor if the RS250 is right for you.

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattology View Post
    i would pull it apart and see...
    That job would be a first for me. Big job eek.
    2010 TZR50 70cc airsal
    21mm CP
    Technigas ebox

it's not that bad, i promise. you will need a couple of things that you may or may not have handy:

1: case splitter
    2: an oven you're allowed to put your cases in
    3: a freezer you're allowed to put your crankshaft in

Get your confidence back with Aprilia.

caution: the use of motorcycles may be habit forming. side effects include purchasing multiple examples of the same bike, in different states of tune, different years, or different models altogether. some motorcycles may be not running when purchased. some parts are no longer available. there are rare instances where aprilias are bought over the internet and upon arrival, they are not as were originally disclosed. there is a small group of people who cannot handle two stroke engines and motorcycle maintenance. if this is the case, you may not be a candidate for Aprilia RS250's.

Aprilia. Ask your doctor if the RS250 is right for you.