Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2nd opinion needed on starter circuit testing

apriliaforum Junkie
    In researching high amp circuit breakers I've spoken to a few tech support folks at places like Little fuse (Buss and Bussman) , Blue Sea and a major distributor of breakers and solenoids and found that continuous duty rated components are not as robust in many cases as their intermittent counterparts. The intermittent parts must accommodate high in-rush currents often at or near maximum ratings while the continuous duty items are designed to operate at lower but sustained currents. The big difference (relaying info here) is that the continuous duty items don't experience the wear from the on-off operations with high current whereas the intermittent items are designed with that in the spec.

When I asked about high amp switches and breakers all the sources recommended intermittent ratings as opposed to continuous ratings.

I know this goes against intuitive thinking but it makes sense. A start/stop component experiences greater wear than one running continuously. Take starter motors, they are designed for high amp draw and operation over a short time. A continuous rated motor couldn't withstand the abuse.

It was also explained to me that continuous rated components are wired using thinner wire when compared to intermittent rated components. That is one reason why starter motors have heavy wires.

When it comes to solenoids the same thing could apply as some solenoids are designed to run closed (passing current) while the intermittent ones are always open unless closed. So using a continuous duty rated solenoid puts it into service contrary to it's design specs.

Don't forget, failures sell parts. When I spoke to the Yamaha people and related the problem it came up that problems with solenoids on the brands they sold are not rare.
    Last edited by CapoEVT; 06-10-2019 at 09:30 PM.
    What do you mean -why do I have 2 ETV Caponords? I also have 2 arms, 2 ears, 2 legs, 2 eyes and 2 butt cheeks, I don't see the problem.

I can totally agree with the recommendation for not using continuous duty relays. In theory at least. I have sen these relays in the fork truck speed control setting switching on and off constantly to regulate speed. Stinger says you can use their relay as a high current relay/solenoid for motor use. https://stingerelectronics.com/index...ttachment=1693
    I would still give it a try. They make a 500 amp/ 900 peak version.

The coil current with intermittent vs continuous is very different. Continuous coils draw about 1 amp and intermittent coils about 4 amps. The latter provides a stronger faster switching with less arcing.
    Last edited by bkmo; 06-10-2019 at 09:54 PM.
    2002 Capo Wilbers rear shock, Wilbers front progressive springs, Metal fuel connectors, polaris sh775 series regulator direct wired, silicone vacuum lines, catfish map, CNC clutch slave, autoelectrics coils (2)sides, Triumph Denso 3990's centers, k&n air filter, all LED lighting, SS brake and clutch lines, Givi tall screen, Triumph tiger 955i mirrors, dual horns. Pure copper 4 gauge battery cables. Rox risers.

For the record, Rick's Motosports solenoids as sold by AF1 Racing are made in Taiwan. Taiwan has a good reputation for their electrical products. I have run across the Chinese versions and the contacts and binding posts are substantially undersize.

KB

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kennibear View Post
    For the record, Rick's Motosports solenoids as sold by AF1 Racing are made in Taiwan. Taiwan has a good reputation for their electrical products. I have run across the Chinese versions and the contacts and binding posts are substantially undersize.

KB

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk
    Good to know, when I worked for Rick in the 80's and 90's he was having someone in China source/copy the electrical parts for him.
    2002 Capo Wilbers rear shock, Wilbers front progressive springs, Metal fuel connectors, polaris sh775 series regulator direct wired, silicone vacuum lines, catfish map, CNC clutch slave, autoelectrics coils (2)sides, Triumph Denso 3990's centers, k&n air filter, all LED lighting, SS brake and clutch lines, Givi tall screen, Triumph tiger 955i mirrors, dual horns. Pure copper 4 gauge battery cables. Rox risers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12