Thread: After years of great times, a problem, have a video of start up sounds? Pump prime?

apriliaforum expert

After years of great times, a problem, have a video of start up sounds? Pump prime?

Hi guys,

Its been a while! Haven't posted in years. I am having a bummer to start the season. Bike wont start!

I am after someone to make a quick video of the bike when you turn the key. I want to hear what I should be hearing. E.g. is my fuel pump priming? I turn the key. I hear a loud click. I don't here a pump prime (should I).

Battery is charged. Just installed new plugs. Going to try some fresh gas. Bike turns over and everything sounds good but does not fire up.

What fuse is for the fuel pump?

I have been reading other threads on this issue from way back. People mention compression test (I don't know how to do that yet.) and decomp levers etc. My bike went away just fine and operated great last two seasons. Went away this past winter and now doesn't want to fire up. What would happen over the winter to make an issue like this.

My Vespa is getting more miles than the SXV and it makes me sad. Can someone make a quick video? DM me for a phone number if you want to text it. I would really appreciate it! Will venmo a beers worth of money to anyone who can help.

Also, I hope you all have an awesome riding season!

Don’t have a video, but if you don’t hear the pump when turning power on the bike absolutely will not start. Don’t worry about things like compression at this point. No pump, no start; just that simple. The pump is powered by fuse 7 (5 amp) and will fail if the pump has seized due to fuel varnishing. Sometimes a pump can be revived by applying power directly to the pump leads in each polarity.

apriliaforum expert
    Thanks SXVINWA!

I did find a video on the next page of posts and mine does not sound like this:

I am going to check the fuel pump and fuse to start!

It wouldn't be the SXV experience without a little work!

apriliaforum expert
    Holy Moly the pump is 400+ dollars????

Anyone know a replacement part that is not this much? https://www.af1racing.com/store/Scri...+%2D%239100416

Is there a similar part for another make that fits the bill E.G. how the Honda CRF parts fit this bike sometimes???
    Last edited by ceosurfer; 06-08-2019 at 01:04 PM.

I know somebody that replaced a pump with this one and it worked just fine.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T5N7LKU..._zge3AbDWHA0MC

Also, when replacing the pump you MUST ensure the hose connection is tight at the pump discharge or it will leak and cause low discharge pressure making you think there are other problems. It is not as easy as you would think to make a clamp seal on a small diameter hose...

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by SXVINWA View Post
    Donít have a video, but if you donít hear the pump when turning power on the bike absolutely will not start. Donít worry about things like compression at this point. No pump, no start; just that simple. The pump is powered by fuse 7 (5 amp) and will fail if the pump has seized due to fuel varnishing. Sometimes a pump can be revived by applying power directly to the pump leads in each polarity.

I think I am going to need to charge up a spare battery and buy some wires to try this out.

I’ve used 18V cordless tool batteries to try breaking free a stuck pump. Read and black leads on the connector are the pump leads. I recommend removing the pump assembly from the tank before getting after it. I don’t think there is any chance of a fire or explosion in the tank, but why risk it???

apriliaforum expert
    So how’s this sound? She spins! What’s next? Put everything back and see if it primes when I turn the key? Can I test this without putting the assembly back in the tank?

Seems to spin with plenty of torque, so I’d put it back in the tank and give it a go.

apriliaforum expert
    So I found this today while putting everything back together:

I’ve never taken the subframe off this bike before. This must have happened in the last season. Why/how would the frame strip out like that? What to do?

apriliaforum expert
    We have success. Waited for Father’s Day to give us a little project. Pop and I got her fired up

Thanks for the help!