Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: -09 Aprilia RSV4 Motor blown

apriliaforum newb

-09 Aprilia RSV4 Motor blown

Hi,

My -09 Aprilia RSV4 motor has blown, sounds like a crank bearing or something ?

My question is which motor will fit my -09 mod RSV4 Factory ? Can I replace it with an -10, -11, or -12 motor ?
    What about the ECU an the rest of the electronicks on the bike ?

Maybe I can get a -10 model R motor, will this one do the job ? or must I replace all the electronic too ?

Any tips about were I can buy a motor ?

apriliaforum expert
    I'm fairly certain you can stuff motors all the way to 2018 if you wanted but would have to switch up the wiring harness & ecu on the newer (17+) motors. If you want to stick to what you have without changing to much find a 2010 - 2015. Those are fairly plug and play with your platform.

apriliaforum newb
    thx for info , the motor is the same in Factory and R models ?

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Knut Hovet View Post
    thx for info , the motor is the same in Factory and R models ?
    The Factory has variable length intake trumpets.The R has fixed.
    Other than that the engine on 09-10 r and Fac are the same I think.

apriliaforum newb
    thx for info. can I mount the injectors on the fixed trumpets ? or can I mount thr variable trumpets on the R motor ?

just another Aprilia fanatic amauri's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Knut Hovet View Post
    My question is which motor will fit my -09 mod RSV4 Factory ? Can I replace it with an -10, -11, or -12 motor ?
    What about the ECU an the rest of the electronicks on the bike ?
    Without upgrading to APRC, you can use any engine up to 2014 with your existing ECU, wiring and dash.
    Injectors are all the same up to 2014, you can install the variable velocity stacks from your old engine onto the replacement engine.
    There is no difference between an R engine and an F engine, other than the covers.
    Never accept mediocrity, always demand competence.

Certified Aprilia Moto Service in Southern California
    Call me at 714 892-4056 for appointment

apriliaforum newb
    thx for info Amauri, thats the info I was searching for ! I am an old Ducati man, this is my first rsv4, trackbike, drive it only one day on track, then motor go to hell. You are the Aprilia expert in here I understand ? Maybe I have to ask more stupid questions. It is difficult to get used engines for this bike, any tips ?

There are no tips on how to find a good used engine, it is like rolling the dice or a game of luck.

Be careful of engines that have altered serial numbers.
    Don't believe what some sellers on ebay claim, I saw on on there a couple weeks ago where the seller says "engine running perfectly, compression test on all cylinders equals 250-psi"

That one is full of BS, I've never seen any RSV4 engine with more than 195-psi compression. I've tested a lot of them.

Also, don't use a Tuono V4 engine because of lower Rev limit for the heavy valves.
    Last edited by amauri; 06-06-2019 at 09:19 AM.

apriliaforum Member
    Yea and force them to confirm some kind of guarantee and check ASAP, best buy only from authorized aprilia dealers.
    I did that and still when checking the engine right off the bat starter motor fell apart, and oil pan had leaks, had to buy new one.
    I did email them, but they didn't answer at all. It was quite the hassle coz the engine was from the US.
    Their handle on ebay : imperialsportbikes2 (28894)

My customers have bought several engines from Imperial Sportbikes and brought them to me for the install, we've not had any issues with them.

But you never know, like I said before... buying a uses engine is always a gamble.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Hi!
    I have an Rsv4 RF 18 with 3100 kms running ok. Iím thinking about to swap the engine to Rsv4 1100. If you can be interested contact me here or by eBay.
    Thanks

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by amauri View Post
    My customers have bought several engines from Imperial Sportbikes and brought them to me for the install, we've not had any issues with them.

But you never know, like I said before... buying a uses engine is always a gamble.
    Is it possible to put an 1100 RSV4 motor in an earlier chassis?One member here is thinking of it and thought you’d be the man to ask(I’m not in the least interested for myself).

The engines are all the same externally, any year engine will fit in any year chassis, TV4 & RSV4, 1000 or 1100

I just finished a track bike rebuild for a customer using a 2010 F chassis with a 2016 engine and 2017 electronics.

apriliaforum expert
    Amauri,

Just curious how you resolved the different fueling between the 16/17 engine? Obviously the 17 fueling loaded on the HW320 is different than the 16 fueling on the HW310?

Quote Originally Posted by amauri View Post
    I just finished a track bike rebuild for a customer using a 2010 F chassis with a 2016 engine and 2017 electronics.
    Suddenly there came a tapping, as of a tensioner gently rapping, rapping on my crankcase door. You heard me rapping right?

A few months ago I installed a 2017 engine onto a 2016 RF chassis using the HW310 ECU and Race map.
    I used the 16 airbox top, upper injectors and variable stacks.
    This customer uses the bike for track duties only and the feedback he gave me is that the combination works perfectly.

The 2010 track bike I mentioned in the previous post above, was just rebuilt with a 2016 engine and upgraded with the complete 2017 electronics package. I changed the airbox top, upper injectors and stacks to 2017 specs. The ECU is a Noale Race ECU for 2017 bikes.

Here are a couple of links of this bike @ Calif Speedway a couple weeks ago:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vn2...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lVI...ew?usp=sharing

The second video is the last session of the day and you can see the rear tire is worn out because the speedo all of a sudden jumps up 10-MPH as the tire looses traction at the end of the straight.

The Aprilia auto blib downshift is flawless, was the first thing the rider said when he got back to the pits.
    By the end of the day and after experimenting with the settings, he settled on ATC = 3, AWC = off and power mode set to R. This resulted in the best lap times and feedback from the bike.

There are several possibilities when mixing and matching parts from different year bikes, but not necessarily easy.
    To install the new 1100 engine on an older HW310 or HW100 ECU bike, you will probably have to work with Gabro to create a special map.
    Last edited by amauri; 06-11-2019 at 02:11 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast