Thread: Shiver 900 wonít start, black display

Shiver 900 wonít start, black display

I had a strange experience with my Shiver 900 (2017) this weekend. After riding for half an hour I stopped for about 20 minutes. Then when I tried to start it up again the display was black, except for a red constant light. I think it was the same as the red light that blinks on the display when the ignition is in locked position. Nothing happened when pressing the start button, start motor dead. The fuel pump was sounding as usual. After turning the ignition key back and forth a few times trying to start, the start motor suddenly turned and the engine started for a few seconds. It sounded muffled and not normal and then it died. Tried to start the bike by pushing it but that did not work out either. The display was black all the time.

Then when I finally pulled the positive battery cable and screwed it back on the bike was back to normal.

Can also mention that the battery is in perfect condition.

I have only driven 1400km with the bike and the 1000km service has been done by an authorized Aprilia workshop. Going to the workshop in a few days to get a reading for error codes.

But I am curious if anyone has a clue of what is going on here?!

apriliaforum newb
    Best thing I can suggest is to check the fuses for the dash. I had the exact same issue after 93 miles on my old 900.

5 amp fuse went walkabouts, and the issue I had was EXACTLY the same sounding as yours. It suggests to me that you've got a dodgy connection, or a dodgy fuse.
    2019 KTM 790 Duke
    2018 Aprilia Dorsoduro 900 - Sold (Thank christ)
    2013 Kawasaki Z1000SX - Sold
    2016 BMW F700GS Rallye - Sold
    2011 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750 Factory - Sold
    2015 KTM Duke 125 - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by widdilyweenus View Post
    Best thing I can suggest is to check the fuses for the dash. I had the exact same issue after 93 miles on my old 900.

5 amp fuse went walkabouts, and the issue I had was EXACTLY the same sounding as yours. It suggests to me that you've got a dodgy connection, or a dodgy fuse.
    Ok, I will check the fuses. Perhaps spray contact spray into the sockets..

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Mine did that once in 6k miles don't know why. I pulled the main fuse under the seat and plugged it back in. All worked since.
    2018 DD
    2015 Multistrada
    2016 Yamaha WR250R

Unfortunately there were no error codes stored. Nothing strange with the fuses either. Guess this is the downside with all new fancy electronics+software in vehicles.

I hope this was I one-time thing like for you guys!

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by flipflop View Post
    Unfortunately there were no error codes stored. Nothing strange with the fuses either. Guess this is the downside with all new fancy electronics+software in vehicles.

exactly. We're much less likely to have problems but when they do come up, they are hard to diagnose. And I don't like the whole reflash the ECU fix.

My son frequently reinstalls the operating system on the computer he built. For him, it's natural. Doing that to a motorcycle like was done a few weeks ago to my Dorsoduro, seems like dropping a bomb to kill a rat.

apriliaforum newb

While the dash going black and not starting was a one time thing for me, the problems I had when I had my 900 weren't!

Had so many electrical issues that when the dealer looked, they couldn't find a single logged error code.

I hope you don't suffer any more issues. I loved the bike when it ran, just couldn't take wondering if it was going to keep running any more!
    2019 KTM 790 Duke
    2015 KTM Duke 125 - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by widdilyweenus View Post
    While the dash going black and not starting was a one time thing for me, the problems I had when I had my 900 weren't!

Had so many electrical issues that when the dealer looked, they couldn't find a single logged error code.

I hope you don't suffer any more issues. I loved the bike when it ran, just couldn't take wondering if it was going to keep running any more!
    Oh.. that was not what I wanted to hear :/
    But as I see it all brands have there problems so I am hoping the bike you had was a lemon!

apriliaforum expert
    I read that Aprilia uses a "boutique" electronics firm to make their dashes, so they can get a more bespoke product. Is it possible there's a fault in the dash itself?

This is the kind of thing you just need to keep on at your dealer for, and they need to keep on at Aprilia for it, too.

I might even go so far as to insist they try a different (known working) dash; no excuses about immobilisers, they have the tools / means.
    2009 Shiver (White) | UK

apriliaforum newb
    Oh.. that was not what I wanted to hear :/
    But as I see it all brands have there problems so I am hoping the bike you had was a lemon!
    Yeah, that's the way I would look at it too. From what my dealer told me, they've never heard of anyone having the problems I had. Neither did the warranty guy from Piaggio UK either.

So it probably was just a lemon!

I hope you enjoy the 900, it is a very good engine!
    2019 KTM 790 Duke
    2015 KTM Duke 125 - Sold

Just a short update... I have been riding about 4000 km this summer without any problems at all. So I consider this as a non issue from now!