Thread: Speedometer needle varies with no rmp or speed change

apriliaforum expert thesprocket26's Avatar

Speedometer needle varies with no rmp or speed change

I noticed yesterday on a ride my speedometer needle would float about 5 to 10mph at the 40mph-60mph mark on the gauge. I'm not sure if this is happening at any other point and time, this is where I noticed it most. This wasn't caused by normal riding, very subtle throttle inputs would cause the needle to vary faster and slower even though I wasn't actually traveling these speeds. Does this seem like a pickup sensor issue or a needle gauge motor issue? Has anyone had the same issues? I'll check the dash and sensor when I return home today.
    If your idea of sport-touring is multi-position seats, cruise control and electrically-adjustable windshields, youíre probably not Italian and you donít deserve a Futura. - Kevin Duke

2001 RST1000 Futura - GSXR coil mod, Magnecore HT leads, Honda reg/rec mod, custom built twin tail mufflers, LED high beams, LED front turn lamps, LED rear brake and turn lamps, Oxford heated grips, Oberon clutch slave, fancy blue hardware bits, air horn mod, pannier stainless cable retention mod, large Odyssey battery mod, 05 fuel map

You just have to glue ( contact glue : cyanoacrylate in french) the needle on his axle, very common symtom on the futura , sometime speed needle, sometime rpm needle.
    Due to UV exposure under glass, the plastic become breakable & take play on axle + vibrations , be carefull with the needles.
    Zag

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Hmmm, if you glue it, when how to remove needles in future?
    English is not my native language, so please be kind to my mistakes.

Remember, this is an Italian bike with an Austrian motor, it isn't like the GSXR you use to own...

I also noticed when I accelerate, the speedo needle moves downward(slower) in speed. At a cruise speed, it settles at normal(actual) speed. hmmmm
    If your idea of sport-touring is multi-position seats, cruise control and electrically-adjustable windshields, youíre probably not Italian and you donít deserve a Futura. - Kevin Duke

2001 RST1000 Futura - GSXR coil mod, Magnecore HT leads, Honda reg/rec mod, custom built twin tail mufflers, LED high beams, LED front turn lamps, LED rear brake and turn lamps, Oxford heated grips, Oberon clutch slave, fancy blue hardware bits, air horn mod, pannier stainless cable retention mod, large Odyssey battery mod, 05 fuel map

I get no pb to take off needle after gluing them , I use a watchmaker tool like this :
    Attached Images Attached Images  

a small puller like that would make life easy - but you'd really need to be able to push on the pivot pin while lifting on the pointer for it to work. Maybe if you could drill down thru the pointer and insert a pin to reach the pivot pin. Otherwise, may as well just twist them off.

If the needle was slipping, think I'd use something a tad less tenacious than cyanoacrylate, aka, super glue. Maybe some RTV silicone or maybe the red anaerobic stuff we've been using on the fuel pump o-ring

This tool don't push on the pivot, the rod of the puller have a spring and just avoid needle to jump. Look at 1' of this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PdyN2doV7A
    I just "coat" the pivot pin, only it, with superglue (not a drop) and I was able to pull it again. I did that twice.
    Zag

Ahh, had to watch (no pun intended) that vid a couple times (it happens quick) to realize the plastic pieces on the outside of that tool push down on the face while the hooks lift up.

Yeah, that would definitely help. Thanks for the vid.

Superglue will actually dissolve some plastics. When that happens, it's more of a weld than just an adhesive and the bond becomes very strong.

according to fellow riders, gauge is reading low. at 80mph indicated, im actually moving around 93mph. I just stopped looking at the gauge. Had a nice long ride yesterday, will try and inspect the pickup sensor today.

Quote Originally Posted by thesprocket26 View Post
    according to fellow riders, gauge is reading low. at 80mph indicated, im actually moving around 93mph. I just stopped looking at the gauge. Had a nice long ride yesterday, will try and inspect the pickup sensor today.
    Maybe the pickup is just covered with some goo inside the eccentric and a quick cleaning with have it back. think i'd pull every connector between it and wherever for a spritz of contact cleaner as well.

solid advice. I'll head that direction.

pulled the sensor, there was quite a bit of grease on the tip. cleaned it off but ran out of time for a test ride. Had to take the truck to work today, hopefully tonight I'll give it a test run. I'll have a phone based speedometer app showing speed as well to verify.

I don't think its "doing the dip" motion anymore. I'm not certain of reliable readings. I'll compare this weekend again with phone gps app. Sorry, I've been super busy, bike has been pushed to the back of the garage at the moment. :-(