Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: KOSO dash + working fuel gauge + m lok key rfid..INSTALL

The manual says it would drain the battery, but i didn't know it would be that quick. I always connect the bike to a trickle charger when i get home. Thanks for the heads up.

fitting a kill switch would be a good idea.. I wonder if pulling a fuse would do the same thing... Would anyone know which fuse cuts the main 12volt battery line through the loom?

There are two separate powered sources that normally feed through the key switch, so it would depend upon which circuit you power the unit from. It will be either the first or second fuse in the box.

that's right i connected the M lock, to the constant 12v R/M cable... that is fuse position 2, 7.5 AMPS... removing it should do the trick when i do not use the bike.. Awesome

Thankyou

Quote Originally Posted by riot View Post
    I have one fitted to my bike, I put it under the left side panel, so with the key in my right pocket, I just walk up and bump it with my hip and it comes on

The down side of the M-lock I discovered is that it has a high parasitic power draw, so you either need to keep your bike on the charger or fit a switch to cut it out if you are not going to use the bike for a few days. Otherwise, you’ll have a dead battery in 3-5 days of non use.

I was thinking about what you said all night and i decided to read the M lock key instructions again. they say
    "The m-lock stand by current is 2mA. This means a battery of a capacity of 10Ah is empty after 7 months. We recommend to disconnect the battery from vehicles power system and m-Lock in periods of not using the motorcycle longer than 5 months (winter)."

So i was allitle confused as why your battery would go flat in 3-4 days.. So i decide to look at the aprilia wiring diagram again, and find out exactly what the ignition switch turns on when you turn the key.. what i found was interesting.
    The ignition key when switched on connects 3 seperate circuits.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	800.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	381935
    1st circuit, is a 12v cable(R/GR) from position one fuse (7.5amps) , when ignition is on it completes the circuit to cable (G/Ro) lights relay, speed sensor, and ecu supply voltage.

2nd circuit, is a 12v cable(R/M) from position two fuse (7.5amps) , when ignition is on it completes the circuit to cable (V/Ar) taillights, flasher, key positive dash, parking lights, LH dip switch, resistor, fuel dash, fuel level sensor.

3rd circuit, is a cable from the RH Dip switch (Az/Gr) , when ignition is on it completes the circuit to cable (B) Ground.

Now really i should have 3 relays that are switched on by the M lock key each relay switch its own circuit, or a relay that has 3 separate inputs and output( not sure if they exist, i have to google later)...

This method should therefore have little to no parasitic draw on the system... Im guessing the reason for such a high parasitic draw is that whoever installed your m lock key , used one relay to switch lets say the second circuit or possible joined both 1st and 2nd and just hardwired the other circuit ( RH hand dip switch to ground)...

Can you tell me how your ran your circuit, as i believe that could be the cause of the parasitic draw..
    i will be ordering another 2 relays, or try to find one that switches 3 inputs and outputs...

Hmm, I will have to double check what I did! I was thinking of fitting a switch to mine instead of pulling fuses, so it will be a good time to do that anyway. I think I installed the m-lock detector directly to the battery positive - through the included inline fuse - and that fuse is a pain to remove!

That said, I know that several other m-lock owners have had similar results, even on different bikes. So there is a chance that that the claimed draw is inaccurate.

Further, note that in order to see a significant drop in battery voltage, you do not discharge a battery all the way. After discharging only 25% of the battery’s rated capacity, you might end up in the low voltage zone where starting would be difficult. This is especially true for lead acid batteries. A 10ah battery has much less usable capacity (2.5 ah) than its rating. Battery capacity ratings are also notoriously optimistic.

In my defense, I never let the battery get “dead”, but found that I would need to charge the battery within 5days. It would probably take 10 or more days to actually end up stuck. I am quite careful to ensure I have good battery voltage before starting to protect my starting motor.

Awesome thanks for that. If you could also tell me what circuit (cable colour) you are switching on and off with the m lock relay. that would be great.
    It wouldn't surprise me if M lock exaggerates with there figures..... i would personally trust real world figures from actual customers.
    Im still thinking it might help if i switch all circuits separately ... Im sure there are a few different ways to skin a cat...
    Ill let you know how i go once its all installed, i have ordered three micro relays. ill try it my way for now see what happens. I think ill just keep the trickle charger on all the time. Its a brand new antigravity battery and i don't want to stuff it up.

Its a great little unit.

You do not need to have a relay on the switched ground circuit. A single two pole relay to open the two powered circuits will be adequate.

Do not keep a charger on your new battery if you don’t want to damage it. A maintenance / float charger will promote cell imbalance with continuous use.

ok no problem, So i just need to connect the RH dip switch circuit straight to ground by passing any switch.?

For the other 2 circuits, don't they need to be switched separately as they have different fuses ? (ie they supply voltage to different items in each circuit)..

I did not know that, about the lipo batteries.. There website and instruction booklet says that i can keep a lipo trickle charger on all the time... Am i going to destroy my new battery?
    Last edited by SaltyBill; 06-02-2019 at 10:22 AM.

Yes; just tie the two wires on the ground circuit together.

Yes; the two remaining circuits need to be isolated from one another and interrupted by relay contacts, but you don’t need two relays. You should be able to find a single relay with two isolated contacts.

Ok i will do . thanks again. appreciate your help.

I cannot find make and break relays wit h2 separate input and outputs... I have to use 2 different relays.

Name:	desktop.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	102.3 KB 
ID:	381944

thats ok i have already ordered the relays. it will take me an extra 5 minutes for the install. i dont mind.
    Last edited by SaltyBill; 06-02-2019 at 11:02 AM.

Finished the dash and Mlock install.
    Total parasitic drag of the whole system is between 2 and 5 mA. I have a few other things that could be draining the system, but im happy with the numbers.
    I ended up breaking all three circuits with micro relays. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190614_174203(0).jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	382743Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190614_174147.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	382744

Name:	20190614_095747.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	382747
    im uploading a video of it working now.. my internet is slow , so it takes ages.
    Last edited by SaltyBill; 06-14-2019 at 01:28 PM.

i still need to adjust the yellow button, ill play with it tomorrow.

UPDATE: I have not ridden the bike for 2 weeks. I Had a full battery before i parked the bike. Checked the battery today , still completely full. Exactly same voltage as when i parked her. Im happy, looks like my parasitic draw is minimal. I am very happy with the mlock key system. I highly recommend it.

apriliaforum Junkie undergrounder's Avatar
    Did you try it with the nfc function on your phone yet?
    Just curious if it works
    My bike is my gym, my wheelchair and my church all in one. I'd like to ride my bike all day long but I've got this thing called a job that keeps getting in the way.

I did try it, i used a few different apps. None can read the chips.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12