Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Key Fob for 2004 Scarabeo 500 what it does ?

  1. #1
    apriliaforum newb
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    21

    Key Fob for 2004 Scarabeo 500 what it does ?

    Hello Aprilia Forum,

    I am just asking a simple question here I believe. When I bought my Scarabeo 500 the owner gave me two sets of keys. Only one set has this key fob with it. Is there a transmitter in it ? Or is it in the actual key. What happens if I loose the key fob? Will I not be able to start the scooter or ? Sorry for the newbie question but just looking to confirm something about it. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7229.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	381457

  2. #2
    apriliaforum newb
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Victoria, BC Canada
    Posts
    26
    You are very lucky lol. I only got one key and no key fob lol.

  3. #3
    apriliaforum expert
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    croatia
    Posts
    2,430
    The transmitter is inside the key atleast all EU models are like that.
    The other key has to be a brown key that is the master key for programming a new spare.
    Remove the key fob and try to start it without it, if it starts then there is no chip inside.

  4. #4
    apriliaforum expert
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Clearwater, Fl
    Posts
    8,170
    If you do not have the programming key then you want to find alternate means to get spare keys made as it can be quite difficult once you've broken or lost your last working key. If the fob is the master then you will want to keep that in a very safe place. The bikes came with three keys with one being the Master that you never used when riding the bike along with 2 regular chip keys for use when riding.

    Many a Scarabeo and Atlantic 500 has been parted out because the master was lost or destroyed.

  5. #5
    apriliaforum newb
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    21

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Rockynv View Post
    If you do not have the programming key then you want to find alternate means to get spare keys made as it can be quite difficult once you've broken or lost your last working key. If the fob is the master then you will want to keep that in a very safe place. The bikes came with three keys with one being the Master that you never used when riding the bike along with 2 regular chip keys for use when riding.

    Many a Scarabeo and Atlantic 500 has been parted out because the master was lost or destroyed.
    Thanks Rockynv this is what I was figuring. Yep so I will use the other key as my everyday key and then hope that the one with the key fob was-is the "master". The fob itself I believe does nothing. I guess I am lucky to have two sets of keys.

  6. #6
    apriliaforum expert
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Clearwater, Fl
    Posts
    8,170
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmanh2o View Post
    Thanks Rockynv this is what I was figuring. Yep so I will use the other key as my everyday key and then hope that the one with the key fob was-is the "master". The fob itself I believe does nothing. I guess I am lucky to have two sets of keys.
    You want to verify if you have a master or not sooner rather than later because you will not be able to easily get a new chip key synced with the bike without it. Basically you insert the master and perform a sequence that puts the Immobilizer into acceptance mode so it will sync the new chip key when you insert it into the ignition switch immediately after you remove the master.

  7. #7
    apriliaforum newb
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockynv View Post
    You want to verify if you have a master or not sooner rather than later because you will not be able to easily get a new chip key synced with the bike without it. Basically you insert the master and perform a sequence that puts the Immobilizer into acceptance mode so it will sync the new chip key when you insert it into the ignition switch immediately after you remove the master.
    So there is no way to phsyically tell if one of the two are a master?

  8. #8
    apriliaforum expert
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    croatia
    Posts
    2,430
    the user key is usualy black in color, the master key for reprograming is a different color often brown or red or blue

  9. #9
    apriliaforum prov-nov
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    71
    Piaggio has instructions on removing the alarm system, we did that.

  10. #10
    apriliaforum newb
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Zigzagguzzi View Post
    Piaggio has instructions on removing the alarm system, we did that.
    Thanks Zigzagguzzi....nice to know that there is that possible option.

  11. #11
    apriliaforum prov-nov
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    71
    Its not cheap unkess you do it yourself, the piaggio dealer didmy wifes.

  12. #12
    apriliaforum expert
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Clearwater, Fl
    Posts
    8,170
    Just be aware that the system on a newer Scarabeo IE (Light) is a bit different from the 2004 Scarabeo GT (Big Beo) so the fixes for the new Light Systems may not work on the previous ones.

Similar Threads

  1. Uh oh! Need a new RH mirror for 2004 Scarabeo 500
    By MillCreek in forum Aprilia and Piaggio 500cc
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 12-20-2018, 08:57 PM
  2. Windshield for 2004 scarabeo 500
    By scootercycle in forum Aprilia and Piaggio 500cc
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-06-2018, 08:49 PM
  3. What size Dr Pulley Sliders for 2004 S500 or is it 500S?
    By ispud in forum Aprilia and Piaggio 500cc
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-29-2011, 11:46 PM
  4. Luggage rack fit for 2004 Scarabeo 500
    By Alan101 in forum Aprilia and Piaggio 150cc-350cc
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-11-2011, 06:22 PM
  5. WTB: Windshield for 2004 Scarabeo 500
    By EricPaul in forum Aprilia and Piaggio 500cc
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-19-2007, 07:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •