Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Always knew DOT was trash

Always knew DOT was trash

Snell or bust. Literally...

Quote Originally Posted by Ed / AF1 Racing View Post
    The greatest bikes ever made that nobody knows about....

Agreed. Snell is my preferred certification team, those people do good work!

DOT only performs well when compared to sunglasses and a bandana. There is no requirement even for a chin bar.

I would be interested to see how Snell compares to ECE, but it would probably take a whole research foundation to really definitively figure it out.

apriliaforum expert
    Then others will contend that by passing the Snell Cert that the Snell helmets while more shock resistant are less shock absorbent so can end up increasing the chances of a brain injury instead of preventing one.

Snell fans will continue to knock DOT and visa vie. Regardless of what you choose an ill fitting helmet won't protect you as well and one that fits properly. And a helmet that's too uncomfortable to wear for the entire ride will tempt you to ride without leaving you with no protection at all.

I say let people ride without helmets... When they die, there will be less dumb people in the world.

apriliaforum expert craigo298er's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yamaholic View Post
    I say let people ride without helmets... When they die, there will be less dumb people in the world.
    I was actually reading about this the other day after a guy posted on our local facebook group that he was pissed someone called the cops on him for letting his 9yr old daughter ride a go kart without a helmet.
    According tot he NHTSA: Helmets saved an estimated 1,859 lives in 2016, if all motorcyclists would have worn helmets in 2016, 802 more could have been saved, each year, the United States could save more than $1billion in economic costs if all motorcyclists wore helmets, helmets reduce the risk of death by 37%, helmets reduce the risk of head injury by 69%.

Besides saving lives, helmet laws save money...lots of money.
    7H3 M345UR3 0F 1N73LL163NC3 15 7H3 481L17Y 70 CH4N63
    4L83R7 31N5731N

Unless it’s mandated in every state, there will always be ignorant fucks that want to “look cool” or something. I have no idea why else you want to ride without a helmet.

Until manufacturers are no longer allowed to self-certify, any improvements to DOT guidelines would be meaningless anyway.

Agreed. I think that is a massive flaw. It’s like a restaurant self-certifying their sanitation grade. It’s meaningless.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Im curious how the big manufactures compare. Yes the DOT is minimal, even if flawed, but how does my RF-1200 compare to a Qwest or even comparable models from other manufactures. Theres alot of "scientific" youtube test but it would be cool to see actual numbers from labs.

The study that I would like to see is the longevity theory on helmets.

Many mfgs and helmet salesmen want you to replace your helmet at increasing frequency. Now I understand that material degradation is real, but it would likely depend on usage and treatment. I would really be curious to see an ANOVA covering age vs mistreatment vs safety.

taranaki new zealand beneath mount taranaki
    Somebody is going to have to care for survivors with brain damage, not much fun i can assure you.
    Last edited by DaveNZ; 05-27-2019 at 04:46 AM.
    "Be yourself, because everybody else is taken "..............................In the shed...... Multistrada 1200, Termi full system with matching ECU, and ohlins SCU. KTM 1290 GT. Torque monster. Remus link and muffler, KTM 790 fun machine.

The UK DFT has an outstanding website for reference when purchasing a helmet. It is always the first place I go when buying a helmet.

https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/

The testing standard is actually very good and better than anything i've seen anywhere.

https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/sharp-testing/
    2003 Aprilia RSV Mille R

1999 Aprilia RS50

1997 Honda CBR 900RR (Deutschland Bike)

2001 Honda RC51 SP1

2012 Triumph Daytona 675R

2005 Yamaha R6 (Sold)

2010 BMW S1000RR (Sold)

apriliaforum prov-nov
    +1 for the Sharp website. It gives a lot of good, easy to understand info to allow you to make on informed choice. As for riding without a helmet, that is strictly from the garage to the front of the house...

apriliaforum expert
    Unless it’s mandated in every state, there will always be ignorant fucks that want to “look cool” or something. I have no idea why else you want to ride without a helmet.
    Many States that those riders believe allow them to ride without helmets prove that they don't bother to read the fine print. In Florida for example you can ride without a helmet "IF" you have $10,000 of insurance coverage that will pay for injuries incurred while riding without a helmet and you are at least 21 years old. The GotCha is that many health insurance policies exclude coverage from extreme activities and specifically exclude Motor Cycle Accidents altogether and those that do cover Motor Cycle Accidents may exclude coverage while riding without a helmet.

Interesting read on the topic by Abate who seems to equate riding without a helmet as an Expression of Freedom and part of the Fight Against Totalitarianism of course bringing support for American Troops into it too:

"Florida Helmet Law FAQ

What do I need to do to be able to legally ride a motorcycle without a helmet in the state of Florida?
    You need to be at least 21 years of age and have at least $10,000.00 worth of medical coverage insurance to be able to operate or ride upon a motorcycle without a helmet.

Where can I buy PIP insurance for my motorcycle?
    You can't. There is no PIP insurance for motorcycles.

Does my PIP insurance on my car meet the insurance requirements for my motorcycle?
    NO, you must have $10,000.00 medical payment insurance or some type of healthcare coverage that does not exclude motorcycles with at least $10,000.00 in coverage... "

This usually excludes most riders from legally riding without a helmet here.
    Last edited by Rockynv; 05-27-2019 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockynv View Post
    Interesting read on the topic by Abate who seems to equate riding without a helmet as an Expression of Freedom and part of the Fight Against Totalitarianism of course bringing support for American Troops into it too
    where is this foolishness?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast