Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Capo #2's Electrics ate itself

apriliaforum Junkie

Capo #2's Electrics ate itself

So goes. Everything was ok until a fuel stop. Slow turn over and then voltage goes to 11.9, 11.8...

Made it home, key off and starter was running. Probably ran since the fuel stop.

Checking. Stay tuned.
    What do you mean -why do I have 2 ETV Caponords? I also have 2 arms, 2 ears, 2 legs, 2 eyes and 2 butt cheeks, I don't see the problem.

apriliaforum Junkie
    VR is toast. Looks like solenoid went with it, battery is now crap too. VR was seriously hot to touch.

Time for rewire, need to clean it up anyway. I was hoping it would go through the season so I didn't touch it since it came home to me.

So Capo#1 goes on duty and I'll strip down Capo#2 when time allows. No use leaving any old wiring in place. Out goes the AGM and battery bug in favor of a lithium ala Capo#1. While I'm at it out go the multiple connections to the battery.

Here is hoping the starter and stator are ok.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190524_152318.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	381368
    Last edited by CapoEVT; 05-24-2019 at 05:28 PM.
    What do you mean -why do I have 2 ETV Caponords? I also have 2 arms, 2 ears, 2 legs, 2 eyes and 2 butt cheeks, I don't see the problem.

just curious - why would you throw out the Battery Bug?

apriliaforum Junkie
    Battery bug doesn't work with lithiums according to all info I've been able to find. I think it has to do with how the battery bug reads load and calcs available potential capacity of the battery. I could be wrong.

Instead I'll go with a regular voltmeter. I have them mounted on my other bikes and so far they do well. They have built in shunts so they read draw from the battery too. Nice to be able to push a button and see current draw if voltage doesn't seem right.

As far as I can tell the Battery Bug is using cranking voltage to set the percentage of the battery life. If it is over 9 volts then it displays 100%. Should work on all battery chemistries. Unless lithiums present a lower cranking voltage. But that wouldn't be good as a lower cranking voltage would increase cranking amps.
    2002 Capo Wilbers rear shock, Wilbers front progressive springs, Metal fuel connectors, polaris sh775 series regulator direct wired, silicone vacuum lines, catfish map, CNC clutch slave, autoelectrics coils (2)sides, Triumph Denso 3990's centers, k&n air filter, all LED lighting, SS brake and clutch lines, Givi tall screen, Triumph tiger 955i mirrors, dual horns. Pure copper 4 gauge battery cables. Rox risers.

My 12-24 Antigravity LiPOFe cranks at 11.7 volts. Most LiPOFe batteries crank at a higher voltage.

KB

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

apriliaforum Junkie
    Another project for me. For all I know, the battery went belly up and cascaded the failures. So goes.

Why I have two Capos and other bikes. Nothing like having next winters project lined up in May.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Like a dummy I didn't immediately install a battery disconnect ala Capo#1.

So here is another rule for me: if you see the voltage not returning immediately after the start, shut down and hit the battery disconnect. If the solenoid is stuck the instant you shut down you'll know what is going on. I remembered KB talking about a battery disconnect and put one on Capo#1. Why not on #2? Lazy.

Do it. Over 40 different bikes now and none ever had this kind of problem. Of course most of them are gone but the Capos are here so there's that.

The underseat area of the Capo's are different than the Futura's and Tuono's. I tried to put a Ford solenoid in (from Federal Mogul for good quality) put could not fit it in without cutting off the steel ears welded to the subframe that hold the OEM solenoid.
    That would be the real solution.

KB

apriliaforum Junkie
    Did you do the surgery or just go with something that fit? Poor quality solenoids seem to plague the motorcycle industry. The location of the Capo solenoid makes it difficult to get at even just to upgrade the wiring. From the location of the battery where it Cooks above the rear header to how they mounted the VR and coils the electrics arrangement is haphazard. One day I will strip one of them down and make a new harness front to back. I like the Capos too much and can't see giving them up (at least not both). I'm past wanting the latest electronic laden bikes.

Used AF1's solenoid which they source from Rick's Electric. I will be getting another bike, maybe another Capo, soon and will look into another solenoid then. I only have the Capo to commute so it can't be down for long. There is a spare solenoid in the drawer as we speak. And I kept the Federal Mogul to upgrade later.

KB

apriliaforum Junkie
    Capos tend to come up for sale around here so if you get springy and need an eyes on before a trip let me know. I'm always willing to take a look, take pics etc. You can always count on a garage to do a go-through before a ride home as well.

Greatly appreciate your assistance.

KB

apriliaforum Junkie
    Starter is toast too. Oh well. I thought the low voltage reading was a bad VR so I turned around and rode home. It was only about 5 miles but that was all it took.

What I should have done was shut down and I'd have heard the starter spinning. The choice was the bike not starting again because the battery voltage was so low and letting it run and try to get home. The idea that it was the starter drawing all the current and that was the reason for the low voltage reading didn't enter my mind.

That will teach me to take a vacation and let the brain get soft.

The damage is VR, starter, solenoid, battery...hopefully that is it.

Frozen solenoids (3X) took out three batteries and the starter. The last time it stuck was on my way home from work and it almost died as 42 miles of commute ran it down so far that the voltage drop about shut off the ECU. The headlight was flickering and the idle was erratic.
    All not good but it has been fixed and the cables upgraded to 4ga. Knowing this I would tear apart any Rotax Aprilia and do the upgrades.

KB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast