Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: Its gone to a new home

  1. #1
    apriliaforum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Hertford, UK
    Posts
    174

    Its gone to a new home

    well 5 years on and with no issues the Caponord 1200 TP has gone to a new home in south shields.
    Hope it stays as reliable for the new owner. He seems please with it so far.
    Still got my Tuono.

  2. #2
    apriliaforum expert coolonthecoast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Yorkshire Coast
    Posts
    1,104
    I wish I could've afforded to keep mine.
    40 odd powered two wheelers over 40 odd years. Currently in the shed are a 2016 Tuono V1100RR and a '79 Honda CB550F

  3. #3
    apriliaforum expert rdbandkab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    WV... Northern Panhandle
    Posts
    4,051
    Mine just went to a new home (dealership) also. I wish I had more money and garage space... 35,000 miles of no-issue riding.. Best trip was from Pittsburgh to Maine.
    And like brother chrisu, we still have an aprilia. An 02 Futura.
    02 aprilia Futura
    15 aprilia Caponord 1200

  4. #4
    apriliaforum prov-nov
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Northumberland, UK
    Posts
    37
    I'll have to keep an eye out for it, I'm only 20 miles North of there, bound to see it up at Rothbury.

  5. #5
    apriliaforum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Sandpoint ID
    Posts
    99
    After much consideration I traded my caponord TP for a new Africa Twin. Ever since my local dealer lost their Aprilia franchise I have been considering this. It was a tough choice since I really liked my capo. Other than a fuel sensor issue I had no problems in its 12 k plus miles. Sad to see it go but I wanted to go more mainstream where I could get diagnostic service without traveling 300 miles to the closest dealer. So far I’m happy.

  6. #6
    apriliaforum expert coolonthecoast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Yorkshire Coast
    Posts
    1,104
    Quote Originally Posted by Chasdog View Post
    After much consideration I traded my caponord TP for a new Africa Twin. Ever since my local dealer lost their Aprilia franchise I have been considering this. It was a tough choice since I really liked my capo. Other than a fuel sensor issue I had no problems in its 12 k plus miles. Sad to see it go but I wanted to go more mainstream where I could get diagnostic service without traveling 300 miles to the closest dealer. So far I’m happy.
    It would be interesting to hear your views on the Africa vs Caponord when you've had chance to get a few miles under your belt on the Honda.
    40 odd powered two wheelers over 40 odd years. Currently in the shed are a 2016 Tuono V1100RR and a '79 Honda CB550F

  7. #7
    apriliaforum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by coolonthecoast View Post
    It would be interesting to hear your views on the Africa vs Caponord when you've had chance to get a few miles under your belt on the Honda.
    me too!

  8. #8
    apriliaforum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Sandpoint ID
    Posts
    99
    Well here is my opinion of my Africa Twin Adventure Sports bike. I’m giving up 30hp a centerstand and lose my cruise control. I have a little over 300 miles on it and finally did a full throttle takeoff. Has more power than I thought. The windscreen is better for me than the capo. Riding position is more comfy, the seat has more flat room to move. The engine is not as quirky and has a nice note. Corners well. Turns a way tighter circle than capo. Motor is better for slow speed maneuvers. It idles along at 6-7 mph vs 11-12 for capo. Haven’t really take it in the dirt much but I know it’s way more suited to it.

  9. #9
    apriliaforum prov-nov
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Seattle, Washington USA
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Chasdog View Post
    Well here is my opinion of my Africa Twin Adventure Sports bike. I’m giving up 30hp a centerstand and lose my cruise control. I have a little over 300 miles on it and finally did a full throttle takeoff. Has more power than I thought. The windscreen is better for me than the capo. Riding position is more comfy, the seat has more flat room to move. The engine is not as quirky and has a nice note. Corners well. Turns a way tighter circle than capo. Motor is better for slow speed maneuvers. It idles along at 6-7 mph vs 11-12 for capo. Haven’t really take it in the dirt much but I know it’s way more suited to it.
    I traded my Caponord TP for an Africa Twin Adventure Sports too. H dealer is 10 minutes away, so there was a convenience factor. I loved my Capo but the closest dealer dropped the brand and the second closest went out of business. Agree with your review.

    I installed the accessory center stand from Honda. Good design, no concern with bolt backing out like happened to me on the Capo 200 miles from home. Another time it lost the rubber bump pad.

    At 5,000 miles the aprilia engine was starting to feel broke in. Running smooth and strong after valve adjust, air filter and new plugs.

    The Honda AT AS is a tall bike!
    Last edited by winind; 06-17-2019 at 07:55 PM.

  10. #10
    apriliaforum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Sandpoint ID
    Posts
    99
    Well my Africa twin has 3900 miles now. The report is that I had major trouble with it cutting out and missing achieving a maximum speed of 40 mph up hills when it was doing it. Was very intermittent and at first I put it down to bad gas. When it occurred again after 3 or 4 tanks of gas I knew it was more serious. Went to 2 Honda dealers and plugged into computer and no fault code. I’m home now and called my dealer and he said you have to duplicate the problem. Seems to do it when fuel is low and it’s hot. So it made my trip less than ideal wondering when it might strand me. So my reasoning on getting a more mainstream bike has backfired on me. I’m sure it will get fixed and all will be well. For now it’s just another pain to deal with.

  11. #11
    apriliaforum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Sandpoint ID
    Posts
    99
    Hey winind. Interesting you traded your capo also. I was over to Seattle last year for a fuel sensor fix at a small shop that sold moto guzzis as well. Are they still anAprilia dealer?
    The AT AS is very tall. More so than the capo. I will be glad I traded once my problems get fixed. I like the bike itís a little more adaptable than the capo plus at least there are dealers around

  12. #12
    apriliaforum expert rdbandkab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    WV... Northern Panhandle
    Posts
    4,051
    We went to a Kawasaki Versys 1000 LT SE+.
    02 aprilia Futura
    15 aprilia Caponord 1200

  13. #13
    apriliaforum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Sandpoint ID
    Posts
    99

    Versys

    Quote Originally Posted by rdbandkab View Post
    We went to a Kawasaki Versys 1000 LT SE+.
    I looked at the Versys Nice looking bike. It was 18 k a bit more than the Honda.

  14. #14
    apriliaforum expert rdbandkab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    WV... Northern Panhandle
    Posts
    4,051
    Kawi must have had a promotion going on... We got ours somewhere in the $16's. And they gave us good money for the trade.
    02 aprilia Futura
    15 aprilia Caponord 1200

  15. #15
    apriliaforum newb
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Newcastle upon tyne
    Posts
    3
    I work for a Honda dealership and ride the A/twin a lot nice bike but not for me i find it a bit ordinary. I love the Capo and have always went for something a bit different ( own Benelli's ) But everone to their own.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Mana 850 is going to have to find new home
    By bode61 in forum Aprilia Motorcycles and Scooters for Sale / Wanted
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-16-2015, 10:43 AM
  2. Shiver gone to new home
    By shekel in forum 2008-2016 Shiver 750 / Dorsoduro 750
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-04-2014, 01:26 AM
  3. My Tuono has gone to a new home.
    By Pieman_tm in forum Tuono 1000 R and Tuono Factory (2006-2010)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-28-2013, 10:55 AM
  4. Pegs gone to a new home
    By bikeral64 in forum Pegaso 650 Cube and IE
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-15-2011, 09:25 PM
  5. Is it possible to get new graphics.
    By KANE in forum RSV1000 Mille, Mille R, and Mille SP (1998-2003)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-03-2008, 12:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •