Thread: Internittant starting fault.

apriliaforum prov-nov

Intermittent starting fault.

Rode the Mana to the MCN show the other week.
    Superb ride apart from one hiccup. An hour into my trip I stopped for fuel, after filling up I went through the usual start procedure, all powered up as normal, but on pressing the button, nothing, not even a click. I switched off the ignition waited a few seconds then tried again, this time the engine just turned over a few slow revolutions and managed to start.
    After another hours ride I arrived at my destination, switched off and then with a bit of trepidation restarted, all worked fine, the engine whipped over and burst into life as normal.
    This was a week ago and the problem has never resurfaced, starts on the button every time. I've checked the obvious things, battery is quite new, voltage is fine, terminals tight and clean, as its the earth. I even removed and checked the exposed terminal on the starter itself.
    The only thing I can think off is the starter solenoid by the side of the battery, maybe the internal contacts are corroded. I see there are a suspicious amount of them for sale on ebay, suggesting there is a demand for them .
    Has anyone had this problem, or indeed replaced the starter solenoid?
    Al.
    Last edited by bikeralw; 05-24-2019 at 12:50 PM.

apriliaforum Member
    I noticed a slower than normal turn over when starting at 8000 miles and I replaced the solenoid which cured the problem.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Cheers for that. There seems to be a vast difference in new price for the solenoid on ebay, ranging from less than 10 to 40. I wonder if some are Chinese copies.

Al.

apriliaforum Member
    try and avoid the Chinese ones although some stuff from China is good, but do not buy a cheap one its the old adage you get what you pay for :-)

apriliaforum newb

Starter Ground

Check to see if there is corrosion on the starter ground that is bolted to the bottom of the engine. This was the problem I had with my mana.

That isn't the ground. It's the power feed to the starter motor.
    Professional Goat Burster.

apriliaforum prov-nov Mike_in_nh's Avatar
    My Mana has just started (no pun intended intended) acting up too. I washed the bike, dried it and took it for a ride, everything was fine. The next morning, started the bike and road to work. When I was leaving to ride home, I went through the start up process, but had no crank, or click. Cycled the key, still nada. So I then rocked the start/kill switch back and forth several times quickly, pulled in the front brake lever pressed the start button and the bike crank up normally, then promptly shut off as soon as I let off of the starter button. I proceed to restart four more times the fith time I held the start button depressed and the bike stayed running till I let off the button. So I decided I would just hold the button and ride home. About a mile down the road I came to a red light and thought I'd release the button, and she stayed running! So I took the long way home. Once home turn the bike off, and tried restarting, all worked normally. That was two days ago. It's been rainy till today so after work I went to start it and had the starter button problem again, just this time when the bike started I didn't need to hold the switch.
    Sorry for the long winded explanation. I'm going to have a look at the starter switch on Saturday, I'll post my findings.
    Cheers

First I must apologize for hijacking bikeralw's thread.
    Secondly I have opened up the starter switch, all of the contacts look fine. I'm not sure on how the system operates, is the starter sw a request to the ECU to crank or does the sw connect staight to the starter relay.
    I really need to get a good repair manule...
    Any input would be greatly appreciated.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    No worries about hijacking the thread, all input is more than welcome.
    The only problems I've had with this bike are starter related ones.
    If you try and follow the starter wiring in the diagram it's mind bogglingly complicated, involving many relays and a black box full of diodes and resistors under the left hand panel, before power ever gets to the solenoid!
    With the ignition on I've learned to live with mine starting when I pull the front brake lever, that's so long as the side stand is up, if the side stand is down the sequence is normal, brake pulled and starter button pressed.
    Al.

apriliaforum expert dadsafrantic's Avatar
    i doubt it's anything to do with washing your bike. i've ridden mine in all the atmospheric river stuff this year and beyond. water has never been an issue.
    Dadsafrantic

2015 Red Caponord #64
    2008 Mana Grey #81, hyperpro springs and shock, gpr furuore, rigid lights, bark busters, kaoko throttle lock, puig touring screen

Quote Originally Posted by bikeralw View Post
    No worries about hijacking the thread, all input is more than welcome.
    The only problems I've had with this bike are starter related ones.
    If you try and follow the starter wiring in the diagram it's mind bogglingly complicated, involving many relays and a black box full of diodes and resistors under the left hand panel, before power ever gets to the solenoid!
    With the ignition on I've learned to live with mine starting when I pull the front brake lever, that's so long as the side stand is up, if the side stand is down the sequence is normal, brake pulled and starter button pressed.
    Al.
    Quote Originally Posted by dadsafrantic View Post
    i doubt it's anything to do with washing your bike. i've ridden mine in all the atmospheric river stuff this year and beyond. water has never been an issue.
    Thanks Al, I was hoping it was going to be something simple... silly me, what bothers me is that I might get stranded over a no crank issue. I'll stop by my local ape dealer on my way home from work today and see what they have to say about it.

I too have run in the rain w/o problems, I guess it was just a coincidence...

So I stopped by my local Ape dealer on Tuesday, told him my story. He had only one other guy with this type of condtion, but stated that that guy left his bike outdoors all year and that his start/kill switch was clearly corroded. The dealer thought since mine hadn't acted up after I had it apart my switch was probably ok, but he couldn't explain the problem I had.
    Yesterday morning I pulled the bike out, hit the start button and she didn't crank or click. I rocked the switch to the kill position and then to start and she cranked and ran normally. Also started fine when I left work.
    Last night I ordered up a Guzzi/diag cable (finally) so I can see what's going on, though I'm thing more than likely it is the switch. I'll keep everyone informed of my findings.