Thread: Aprilia Atlantic 500 cc hard cold start

apriliaforum newb

Aprilia Atlantic 500 cc hard cold start

Dear Colleagues,

I would like to ask for known solution for my problem. I am riding maxi scooter Aprilia Atalntic 500 cc 2004y.
    The problem I face is with the cold start of the scooter, I have to start it 3-4 time with throttle on. Driving few minutes and when is still cold when I release the throttle engine it switches off. After engine gets warm RPM are not stable between 2000 and 2200, which i believe is too high for warm engine.

If anyone has faced and solved such a problem i would appreciate to hear solutions.

Thank you in advance.

apriliaforum newb
    Sounds like you may have a vacuum leak. Start by checking the connection/vacuum tubing on the intake.

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
    Sounds like you may have a vacuum leak. Start by checking the connection/vacuum tubing on the intake.
    Thank you for the advise.
    Already done, no problem found there. I have the problem with RPMs as well as the bike is warn enough after 20-30 min riding. RPMs are unstable staying high over 2000 and changing between 1800 and 2200.

apriliaforum expert
    chec the operation of the oxigen sensor and clean the TPS. Often on the 500s the TPS gets so dirty that the engine starts heav and has idle problems when hot.
    Remove the TPS get a good quality TPS cleaner spray ( i prefer liqui moly) and soke it, then use a fine toothbrush to remove the deposits around the throttle flap and the air vent tunel that is responsible for the engine idle.
    After you done this put it back up and le the engine run so the computer can relearn the idle process.
    Also sometimes you get a air leak on the 2 gaskets on the exhaust (engine mount and exhaust slipon connection) a airleak near the oxigen sensor.
    A airleak due to the intake manifold being cracked or the injector oring being faulty.