Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Oh, you Italian wires

  1. #1
    apriliaforum expert Leanit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    1,286

    Oh, you Italian wires

    My right headlight has gone all winky in recent weeks. I can reach under the dash and push it around a little and it will come on for a while but it doesn't last. I figured it had a weak connection, so I set about pulling the connector off to clean things up. Yeah, good luck with that. The connector has lost its mind and partially melted. Finally twisted it off. I'll connect up a new one tonight.

    I can't think of any real problem on these bikes except the occasional under-built electrical connections. Short of the bike going up in flames as a consequence, it's almost comical that nothing worse happens than a few minutes having to fix some dopey wire.

  2. #2
    apriliaforum expert calgaryjeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Gilbert AZ
    Posts
    1,712
    The power lead for the low beam headlamps fried at the connector inside the fairing about 6 years ago. Then the ground wire for all headlamps burned up at the same connector this spring. At first I thought there was a short in my left hand switch cluster as when the ground interrupted for the headlamps, the green signal light indicator on the dash would light up. A couple hours of ham fisted soldering and all is good. Function, not pretty solder job to say the least.

    2003 CapoNord
    1985 Honda VF1000R (gone to a new home)
    IBA #23204

  3. #3
    apriliaforum prov-nov
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    67
    I've ran into a problem where my starter motor isn't getting power. Something is grounded out somewhere and I've no idea where to even start

  4. #4
    apriliaforum expert
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    California
    Posts
    512
    Quote Originally Posted by SchadDad View Post
    I've ran into a problem where my starter motor isn't getting power. Something is grounded out somewhere and I've no idea where to even start
    Go about it methodically instead of tearing into it.

    Start with a list. What if anything else doesn't work? If everything else works the wiring to the starter is pretty straightforward. It grounds to the frame and get power by a wire (about 6awg) headed back along the same side as the positive connection on the starter.

    Where abouts in general in the USA are you?

    The thing with Capos is that not all of them were gone through by the PO and had the wiring addressed. It's somewhat tedious to deal with but worth every effort. Replace the vacuum lines and then you'll have a great ride as reliable as any. You only have to read forums for other bikes to see that there are none that don't have issues.

    With a multimeter you can test continuity for the starter wiring PDQ and either confirm or eliminate that is the problem.

    Others will likely chime in on this. Run a search as the answers are on this forum, read them all, there are riders here with PhDs in Capo.
    What do you mean -why do I have 2 ETV Caponords? I also have 2 arms, 2 ears, 2 legs, 2 eyes and 2 butt cheeks, I don't see the problem.

  5. #5
    apriliaforum prov-nov
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by CapoEVT View Post
    Go about it methodically instead of tearing into it.

    Start with a list. What if anything else doesn't work? If everything else works the wiring to the starter is pretty straightforward. It grounds to the frame and get power by a wire (about 6awg) headed back along the same side as the positive connection on the starter.

    Where abouts in general in the USA are you?

    The thing with Capos is that not all of them were gone through by the PO and had the wiring addressed. It's somewhat tedious to deal with but worth every effort. Replace the vacuum lines and then you'll have a great ride as reliable as any. You only have to read forums for other bikes to see that there are none that don't have issues.

    With a multimeter you can test continuity for the starter wiring PDQ and either confirm or eliminate that is the problem.

    Others will likely chime in on this. Run a search as the answers are on this forum, read them all, there are riders here with PhDs in Capo.
    I'm in the PNW. It acts like I've got 2 wires touching that shouldn't be. It will get stuck and heat the battery and solenoid wires then disengage again. I can try a new solenoid again to see if that changes anything. I'm not sure where the starter motor is either tbh. I've only had the bike for a few months

  6. #6
    apriliaforum expert
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    California
    Posts
    512
    The starter is just behind the radiator. If the battery has gotten hot it's toast. IMO disconnect the battery before doing anything else. Fires are a real bummer.

    Just me but I wouldn't just start swapping things out to see what works but rather test to find the problem and deal with that.

    Was the bike running ok and then went to this condition or did it come to you this way? Maybe start a new thread to focus replies.
    What do you mean -why do I have 2 ETV Caponords? I also have 2 arms, 2 ears, 2 legs, 2 eyes and 2 butt cheeks, I don't see the problem.

  7. #7
    apriliaforum prov-nov
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    67
    The solenoid is under warranty so it's a free replacement. The battery is also new. It's one of the first things I replaced. I did start a new thread though.

  8. #8
    apriliaforum Junkie Kennibear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Washington State USA
    Posts
    495
    I'm in South Hill (Tacoma area) in Washington state.

    KB

  9. #9
    apriliaforum prov-nov
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennibear View Post
    I'm in South Hill (Tacoma area) in Washington state.

    KB
    I'm in Kitsap myself

Similar Threads

  1. Bloody Italian Wiring
    By westee in forum ETV1000 CapoNord (2001-2007)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-21-2014, 04:26 PM
  2. Wire Mod If You Have Not Done It
    By crashtest22 in forum RSV1000 Mille, Mille R, and Mille SP (1998-2003)
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-01-2007, 10:20 AM
  3. Wiring mod - can you go straight to battery +ve?
    By craig david in forum RST1000 Futura (all years)
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-18-2006, 12:19 PM
  4. Do you speak Italian????
    By rob100961 in forum Pegaso 650 Cube and IE
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-21-2004, 09:11 AM
  5. do you clip the wire with a aftermarket eprom?
    By Vampyre in forum SL1000 Falco Forum (all years)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-26-2003, 02:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •