Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel efficiency for SportCity 250

apriliaforum newb

Fuel efficiency for SportCity 250

What fuel efficiency are you Aprilia Sportcity 250 (2009) owners getting? At one point I got about 3.6 Liters per 100 km (~65 mpg), but then it seemed to drop. Now I would estimate I get around 5.25 liters/100km while at freeway speed. Even worse around town in heavy stop and go traffic. My bike has a big Givi windscreen.

Any reason why my fuel efficiency would drop like that? I have to say, the bike seems to have lost some power in the 6,000 kilometers I've ridden it. I got it with about 8,800 kilometers and now it has about 15,000 kilometers on it.

Thanks.

apriliaforum expert
    There are a lot of reasons such as belt or rollers failing, tires getting hard from being 10 years old if the originals, low tire pressure or potentially the fuel pump technical service not being done. Old belts tend to have cord failure issues and start stretching and tires are only truly safe on a motor bike for 2 to 3 years regardless of mileage. If the CVT air filter or engine air filters are not serviced regularly you can also get a drop in fuel efficiency. Note that the original air filter on the Sport City was prone to damage from ethanol fumes and tended to blow out if you had even the most minor back fire/kick back when starting it. It may also be time to check the valve lash adjustment. Also on a 10 year old bike that has low mileage its not unheard of the have dragging brakes or wheel bearing issues since old grease tends to separate allowing the oil to weep out leaving only the pressure additive in the bearing. Belt dust build up, clutch or variator sheaves not moving freely and binding are also a possibility. If you readjusted the windshield to be more vertical or sit higher that can also reduce fuel efficiency.

Not using the required motorcycle grade full synthetic engine oil and gear lube can also cause a drop in fuel efficiency.

My average is 65 mpg with a high of 79 and a low of 45 when I had a defective belt.

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockynv View Post

Not using the required motorcycle grade full synthetic engine oil and gear lube can also cause a drop in fuel efficiency.

My average is 65 mpg with a high of 79 and a low of 45 when I had a defective belt.
    Thanks for the reply Rocky. I did oil, hub oil, air filter, and variator filter recently. I plan on getting a new belt and rollers. What about Dr. Pulley's weights? I see they have multiple sizes, what is the best size to get? Does that affect fuel consumption?

apriliaforum expert
    Remove the Givi windscreen (more windresistance = bed fuel economy) and you will get a better fuel economy, also a transmission that wasnt serviced is also a big no-go, Like rocky sed if you dont use the recomanded oil internal friction of the engine increases.
    So there you have your answer.

My ex used to have a 250 sportcity and this bike would get on avarage about 65mpg, but the efficiency dropped when you drive it faster then 55-60mph to about 55mpg.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by yves55 View Post
    Thanks for the reply Rocky. I did oil, hub oil, air filter, and variator filter recently. I plan on getting a new belt and rollers. What about Dr. Pulley's weights? I see they have multiple sizes, what is the best size to get? Does that affect fuel consumption?
    Adding the Dr Pulley Sliders can increase or decrease fuel efficiency and has to be approached with caution since there can be issues with the ribbed backing on the belt getting too close to any excess gasket material sticking out from the oil sump/cup/pan gasket just below the variator. Roller size can be hard to determine since Piaggio delivered the long case 250cc engines to Aprilia with two different variators in a random manner so its not easy to tell which size you will need by Engine Serial Number or VIN. Even measuring whats in there may not get you the correct size info since a previous owner/serviceman may have installed the wrong ones.

One variator takes rollers that are approximately 10.7gr each and 20mm x 17mm while the other 14gr each and 21mm x 17mm.

The notes on AF1 include variations of this verbiage: "*Owners of '08-'12 SportCity 250 Cube, please note: Your bike could be fitted with this roller or 849480. There is no external way to tell which roller is required (Not by VIN, not by Engine number). Be sure to physically inspect your roller weights before ordering."

https://www.af1racing.com/store/Scri...ack%2D+4857135

https://www.af1racing.com/store/Scri...dproduct=10994

I went with the stock weights on the Sliders which is what Union Materials recommended. You also need to trim any excess gasket material sticking up under the variator off using a razor knife along with add an additional machined washer (9434885 - 17x32x1) between the center boss/spacer and the outer drive face to help prevent the belt from riding out too far and rubbing against the oil sump when its new. The extra 1mm thickness will allow the belt to run lower in the variator giving you a bit more off the line acceleration and limits how tightly the sheaves can close up while still allowing the bike to flow with Interstate traffic.

One more thing on Fuel Economy is that the 250cc sweet spot for fuel efficiency is around 35 to 45 MPH so if you are riding more Interstate miles lately you may see a drop especially if the majority of those are at speeds over 60 MPH however you appear to be getting the opposite results which might be attributed to still having the original belt from 2009 which I would consider Ancient. You really do not want to deal with shredding a belt that is old and dried out since strands of belt cord can get past the timing cover seal causing the timing chain to jump leading to valve interference so that you may end up pulling the head, replacing the intake valves along with head gasket and the timing cover which requires a special (Expensive) timing cover press tool to deal with. If you are not using a good funnel when adding engine oil and spilling you could also be dripping oil on the belt causing slippage since the oil fill goes through the CVT cover into where the belt is located. If the belt is shedding a lot you can also be experiencing build up of belt material in the clutch reducing its ability to engage tightly at lower rpms. The only real way to tell is to take off the CVT cover and inspect the condition of those components.

The big Givi may also be acting like pushing a Barn Door around with the bike. The initial impression I got after installing the Puig Sport Fairing was that a large hand holding back the bike when accelerating past 20 MPH had been removed.

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockynv View Post
    The big Givi may also be acting like pushing a Barn Door around with the bike. The initial impression I got after installing the Puig Sport Fairing was that a large hand holding back the bike when accelerating past 20 MPH had been removed.
    Overall the engine is running well so I think it is the transmission system that is likely causing the reduction in fuel consumption. There was a new spark plug installed recently as well. I definitely notice slower acceleration when starting, so that makes me think it may be something with the transmission. I'm going to get the belt replaced and everything around that cleaned out pretty soon. Thanks for the heads up about the sliders... that is annoying there's no way to know which ones to put in. I'll have to buy both and bring them to the mechanic to install at his judgment.

I actually like the big Givi windscreen. On the highway, it makes it very comfortable to go 120 kph or more. That may cause some loss in efficiency, but I doubt it is that impactful and not what's causing the main problem. Thanks again Rocky.

apriliaforum expert
    On a small bike the bigger wind screens can have a large impact to both top speed and efficiency. At one point you only get an incremental increase in comfort compared to the loss of efficiency. Riding Gear, Saddle Bags and even Helmet Choice can all have a combined impact.

Get CVT vetted out first and then be sure to Dot the I's and Cross the T's on Tire Pressure, Brakes Dragging, etc, etc.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by yves55 View Post
    I actually like the big Givi windscreen. On the highway, it makes it very comfortable to go 120 kph or more. That may cause some loss in efficiency, but I doubt it is that impactful and not what's causing the main problem. Thanks again Rocky.
    I dont get why people on scooters (not calling you a motorcyclist) put gawdy worthless screens on them?? Do you not like the wind blowing by? If I wanted a windshield...Id be driving a car. And yes... your 13hp @ the tire is going to struggle trying to push 4-6sq ft of extra frontal area. But the good news is you found RockyNV. You both seem like youd be fast friends. Clueless and Windless...lol

apriliaforum expert armadillored's Avatar
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA (now in Murrells Inlet, SC
    yves55, you will be glad to take Rockynv suggestions on maintaining your scoot. He has a wealth of good info. I just changed to tires on my scoot (to Michelin's) and yes the original tires were hard but still had a lot of tread on them.

Mine had sliders that were 14gr each and 21mm x 17mm. I replaced them with Dr. Pulley 12gr and noticed a big improvement in acceleration. I then had to replace the gasket and install the washer that Rockynv mentioned when the belt ate the gasket and I got oil all over the rear wheel. The scoot can hit 90mph on a straight road (measured by gps unit).
    I also changed all the air filters with the Malossi red filters, use Amsoil synthetic oil, and put in a iridium spark plug. I put on a small screen (I forgot what brand it is). My scoot gets 70 mpg most of the time using premium gas. The mileage drops a lot if I put in regular gas, so that may be why you get poor mileage.
    Last edited by armadillored; 06-01-2019 at 08:18 AM.
    '67 BMW R69S-"Toots" in rehab
    '09 Silver SC250
    Previous rides:
    '04 Chinese 125
    '06 X9-500
    '08 MP3-400
    '06 BV500

'09 Mana

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by armadillored View Post
    I also changed all the air filters with the Malossi red filters, use Amsoil synthetic oil, and put in a iridium spark plug. I put on a small screen (I forgot what brand it is). My scoot gets 70 mpg most of the time using premium gas. The mileage drops a lot if I put in regular gas, so that may be why you get poor mileage.
    um did you not read what the octane requirement is for the Sportcity?? Putting 93 octane isnt going to net you anything and its going to be more of a detriment than anything. The best performing fuel is ~90 octane.. the mid grade or ethanol free stuff. Also the 70mpg claims... would mean you could go a range of 160 miles on a full tank (all the way to the neck). I would be willing to bet a substansial sum of money that would be impossible unless you were doing 40mph on level ground at sea level the whole time (a Ford motor co trick).

I do use premium gas which is 91 octane at the station I use. The mid grade is 89 octane. So I believe I am using the correct gas for the scoot. I never let the tank go below 1/2 full so I can't tell how many miles I get on a absolutely full tank. But, I check the mileage every other time I fill up and it's very close to 70 every time. Maybe you got a gas guzzler, or you weigh 300 lbs, so that the scoot has to try harder to get up to speed.
    '09 Silver SC250
    Previous rides:
    '04 Chinese 125
    '06 X9-500
    '08 MP3-400
    '06 BV500

'09 Mana

apriliaforum Junkie
    that sounds fine...obviously octane is a regional thing. But typically if you went on the lower side (89 vs 91) unless it was pinging or detonating) the lower octane will ignite easier. Where I am... the ethanol free 90 octane is dramatically different than pump 93 that doesnt have a "mix" valve that multi octane pumps may have. On pump 93 with normal riding... I cant even crack 100 miles on a 2.4 gal tank. Put eth free 90 in.... I can easily get 135 miles of range. Same in my truck. Pump 93 gets ~230 miles out of 20 gallons. Same truck will go 320 on eth free. Also the eth free smells alot different since there is no alcohol in it

I have seen only one station near here that has a sign "ethanol free gas", however they charge $4.25 per gal. compared to the other stations that say "up to 10% ethanol" that charge $2.95 per gal. for premium. So for me it is not worth the added price for that gas. I suppose that if you have a race car that ethanol free gas might be worth it in a race. 100 mi. on 2.4 gal = 41.66 mpg. That doesn't sound right, unless you drive a Harley.
    '09 Silver SC250
    Previous rides:
    '04 Chinese 125
    '06 X9-500
    '08 MP3-400
    '06 BV500

'09 Mana

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by armadillored View Post
    I have seen only one station near here that has a sign "ethanol free gas", however they charge $4.25 per gal. compared to the other stations that say "up to 10% ethanol" that charge $2.95 per gal. for premium. So for me it is not worth the added price for that gas. I suppose that if you have a race car that ethanol free gas might be worth it in a race. 100 mi. on 2.4 gal = 41.66 mpg. That doesn't sound right, unless you drive a Harley.
    So $1.30 per gallon or $2.60 a tank for PURE gas. Being dollar foolish here. And I dont drive anything with 2 wheels. I ride em. I dont get how you can tabulate fuel mileage without using nearly 90% of the tanks contents???
    Ill happily lend you my sportcity and you can test the range on it. Why would I make up a data point like that? And yes the fuel was all bought from the same local retailer... Gate Petroleum.
    In some States its illegal to put ethanol free in road going vehicles... so they rename it "boat gas". It stores way better than 10% ethanol laced. I can put you in touch with my neighbor...hes a boat mechanic by trade. He loves boaters that try to save a dime buying ethanol laced pump fuels. And the marina he works at sells eth free unleaded 90 octane for $3.25/gal. Current price of eth laced pump equivalent is $2.46.

It's very easy to calculate gas mileage on a partial fill up. 1- record mileage when filling up. 2- record mileage at next fill up along with amount of gas. 3- subtract the miles recorded at #1 from miles at #2. Divide the result into the amount of gas put in and wallah you have the gas mileage for that trip. I'm sure there are stations near ocean that sell the eth free gas but they don't allow cars or bikes to buy it. It would cost me $1.30 more pre gallon for eth free gas and you pay .79 cents more it. Is it worth it?? Personally I don't think it is. I've been driving / riding scoots and motorcycles since back in the late 60s and never had any problem with the 10% ethanol gas. What benefit is there to using something that costs more??
    '09 Silver SC250
    Previous rides:
    '04 Chinese 125
    '06 X9-500
    '08 MP3-400
    '06 BV500

'09 Mana

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast