Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tyre recommendations - trying my hand at a bit of trail riding

apriliaforum newb

Tyre recommendations - trying my hand at a bit of trail riding

Hi Guys

Apologies if this has been covered before but I'm looking for some advice on tyres.

I fancy trying my hand at a bit of trail riding. I'm not talking trying to cross the Sahara or riding up to the pegs in mud, but there are loads of gravel / semi-made up BOATS around here that are calling to me now I have a bike built for it!

I'm thinking I need 70/30s - most of my riding will still be on the road, but that's as far as I've got. Ask me about street tyres and I'm all over it, but this offroading business is completely new to me.

Cheers!

Well, I would liketo suggest a set Heidenau K60’s.
    Great tyres for on AND offroad
    Even in the wet, they’ve never surprised me or let me down.
    And I do get the footsteps scraping the tarmac :-))

Mitas EO7's are a wonderful 50/50 tyres. More aggressive tyre patten than K60s but will last as long. nice and stable at speed.

Much cheaper than K60s which seem to have gone through the roof recently.

Get them direct from Trellesport for a little over £100 for both. I went 140 on the rear which helps in low traction but slows turning a little on the road.

They've just borought out a new model Eo7+ for the rear which is an improvement to the original.
    “If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.” Douglas Adams

apriliaforum Member
    I'll second Dobbi's recommendation, got 'em front and rear on mine!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

apriliaforum newb
    Cheers for the recommendations guys, the E07+ looks like a nice tyre. I'm a bit wary of going too knobbly - I'm already on tip toes on a set of very worn conti attacks and I'm worried if I go for anything with too much tread depth I'll be scuppered! lol

I found TKC80s to be really poor for road work, but once you got used to them they were OK. a bit like riding with a really lose headstock. Some for EO9's which are magic off road at 80/20 but pretty horrid on. the Eo7's are very good on road, feel well planted, perhaps a tiny bit woolly when compared to an all road tyre, but nothing too serious. Its the best compromise I know of.
    “If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.” Douglas Adams

apriliaforum Member
    Just to confuse you further, I have Karoo 3's on my Trail which for light off-roading (mainly gravel, grass and earth) are great. Seem fine on tarmac too. I do far more on-road than off-road but it's nice to have the option.

apriliaforum newb
    I have an issue with Metzeler after I had a 3 week old road tyre completely delaminate on the front end of my rat (1 - 2mm split appeared pretty much the whole way round where the sidewall met the tread). Never bought one since.

I accept that I'm going to compromise on on-road handling by going to anything more aggressive than a 70/30 so it's all good. I don't tend to ride SOD overly hard anyway - I have a Ducati for riding like an idiot! lol

Quote Originally Posted by dobbi View Post
    I found TKC80s to be really poor for road work, but once you got used to them they were OK. a bit like riding with a really lose headstock. Some for EO9's which are magic off road at 80/20 but pretty horrid on. the Eo7's are very good on road, feel well planted, perhaps a tiny bit woolly when compared to an all road tyre, but nothing too serious. Its the best compromise I know of.
    Yep, Dobbi was better in the mud on his E07s than I was on my Heidi K60s. But I prefer the overall mixture I can do and mileage
    A square Peg in a round hole - http://ytc1.blogspot.co.uk/

They were the EO9's. I recon there would be no difference between EO7's off road. I recon i'm going to get well over 10000 miles out of my rear.

apriliaforum newb
    I recon i'm going to get well over 10000 miles out of my rear.
    Care to rephrase that dobbi?

apriliaforum Member
    I recon i'm going to get well over 10000 miles out of my rear.
    Now that's what I call a hard ass

They were the EO9's. I recon there would be no difference between EO7's off road. I recon i'm going to get well over 10000 miles out of my rear.
    I'll bear them in mind, but I am so stuck in my ways :-)

Sent from my Moto G (5S) using Tapatalk

oops. Poor Boisty has got to share a room with me at the Peg meet up!

You'd like the EO7's they are a newer design than the K60s and a lot cheaper. there is a continuous central line running down the centre of the rears which make them so much more quieter than blocked knoblies.

They've also got super stiff sidewalls like the K60s which make them a joy to lever on!

oops. Poor Boisty has got to share a room with me at the Peg meet up!

You'd like the EO7's they are a newer design than the K60s and a lot cheaper. there is a continuous central line running down the centre of the rears which make them so much more quieter than blocked knoblies.

They've also got super stiff sidewalls like the K60s which make them a joy to lever on!
    Noise not an issue for me

Sent from my Moto G (5S) using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast