Thread: Cut out at 2000rpm repeater

apriliaforum Member

Cut out at 2000rpm repeater

Bike cut out today on short run....Anybody here have any idea why my peg cuts out and screen goes blank when I try and rev over 2000rpm, then I can restart and it repeats when I get up to 2000rpm again, had to ride back home today at 1800 rpm. Shows crank angle sensor and system power codes on diagnosis page
    Last edited by Barkas; 05-19-2019 at 03:09 PM.

For a problem I had with my bike, slightly similar which I never found the fault for but I cured by replacing the 20A fuse with a 25A fuse ( I was that far down the road of diagnositics), give this a go.

Have a look at your 20A fuse, is it getting hot and melting the plastic?
    “If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.” Douglas Adams

apriliaforum Member
    Assume you've checked all the basics like loose battery terminals, clean and secure connections on the ignition, injector and coil/plug circuits? If they are ok and Dobbi's magic cure didn't work, it's time to break out the multimeter and check the sensors are sending correct data to ecu. But you probably know all this already Good luck!

apriliaforum newb
    Also check it's not over-charging. Set your display to show battery voltage and see what it's reading when it cuts out (it should be just over 12v when the engine is stopped and no more than ~14.2v running). If the screen is cutting out you might need to measure directly across the battery terminals with a multi-meter. If it's going much over that your regulator / rectifier is shot.

apriliaforum Member
    thanks for the help folks, I have the tank off and am checking out all connections especially the three relays, they each had a gungy connection, cleaned em up with the wifes nail file. All ECU connections like new. Gonna enter the tank while its off and see if alls ok in there.

Good bit of contact cleaner and a squeeze of corroded connections is always recommended. that 3 quid contact assembly remover is absolute magic when you want to clean connections.
    “If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.” Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Barkas View Post
    Bike cut out today on short run....Anybody here have any idea why my peg cuts out and screen goes blank when I try and rev over 2000rpm, then I can restart and it repeats when I get up to 2000rpm again, had to ride back home today at 1800 rpm. Shows crank angle sensor and system power codes on diagnosis page
    Don't rule out the ignition wires.
    I have intermittent run/start issues that were down to that. Get up to speed/revs and the shake loose. Slow down and they reconnect.
    A square Peg in a round hole - http://ytc1.blogspot.co.uk/

apriliaforum Member
    I have removed tank and unplugged all connectors and cleaned , some relay connections were covered in blue gunge so cleaned up, the coil low tension supply connection was poor so renewed terminal....removed ECU plug and checked, ECU connections like new, checked pump and filter wiring inside tank all ok....rebuilt and dash lights up and pointer sweeps to max as it should but pump is not priming, engine cranks but wont start, getting dash red triangle warning and a ..."ECU unplugged" notification, I have removed the tank again and re-checked all plugs but same fault "ECU unplugged.....Anyone any ideas would be most welcome.
    Last edited by Barkas; 05-24-2019 at 03:07 PM.

the fuel pump is outside of the ECU parameters. it doesnt care about it one bit,as the coil! Id be concerned that you dont have a bent ecu connection wire for some reason. Have a good look at the reg/rect conneciton in the underbelly. this often goes very nasty.I'd check the 5v sensor curicuit too. However, I;d be most concered aobut the relay coneections. I found that the real weakness in my poor wiring loom was where the connectors met the loom just below the relays. it was here that the breakages were found.

apriliaforum Member
    Everything Dobbi says plus check earth connections. I'd suspect a corroded or broken earth lead on ecu or elsewhere. Broken leads due to internal corrosion are a real pain as sometimes they connect and sometimes not. Visually, the wires look fine. Try bypassing suspect leads with new test wire to see if it fixes the problem.

apriliaforum Member
    After extensive electrical investigation, I found the problem was an air lock in the head at the temp sender, ( I had just changed the radiator the day before the problem started)...this affected the water temp reading to the ECU causing a conflict so the ECU seems to have put the bike into an idle speed limp mode to protect the engine, If I tried to rev the engine up the ECU switched it off. I removed the temp sender and the air behind it bled out n bikes been fine since, done 200 miles now no probs

good to hear you found the cause. Will have to add that one into the book of peg misdemenours!