Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MO - Carbon fiber wheels and a trip to the moon

Quote Originally Posted by cmutza View Post
    Wheels can and do break (especially lightweight ones), I know there are more than a couple of us on this forum with broken forged Aprilia wheels. I guess the big issue with CF wheels is that they fail in a much more catastrophic way.
    I think you hit the nail on the head there, I have found a couple of cracked aluminium wheels over the years, mostly on race cars, but they were just that, cracked and taken out of play before they failed.

I have also witnessed wheels nearly black and with all the paint burnt off after a wheel bearing failure, but still in one piece and still serviceable, but a carbon wheel subjected to the same treatment??.

I also think of some other carbon failures, the aircraft that crashed into New York in the weeks after 911, An airbus that was subjected to turbulence from the previous planes wake, the pilot re acted wrongly sending the ruder fully one way and then the other.............and off came the carbon tailplane

I think carbon fibre is wonderful stuff by the way, but not in every application, maybe the 'experts' are still learning about its properties ?

apriliaforum prov-nov
    TL2Bass, I knew I recognized your bike somewhere. I distinctly remember it from a long term review vid you uploaded. I think you did a great job modding your bike and I would now pull the trigger on a set of wheels over a full system and tune if I had to pick one. Glad you walked out okay and sad to see your beauty scraped up!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry P View Post
    TL2Bass, I knew I recognized your bike somewhere. I distinctly remember it from a long term review vid you uploaded. I think you did a great job modding your bike and I would now pull the trigger on a set of wheels over a full system and tune if I had to pick one. Glad you walked out okay and sad to see your beauty scraped up!
    Really? After what happened to TL2Bass you would fit a set of carbon wheels ?

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by mikef4uk View Post
    Really? After what happened to TL2Bass you would fit a set of carbon wheels ?
    Sure. I still bought a tuono after the dropped valve threads, the electronics threads, overheating threads, etc. He's had those CF wheels for years. Maybe there were signs it was under too much stress and it could have been caught. This was a bit of worst case scenario. Maybe I'd start with forged wheels and see if I wanted sharper steering. He does emphasize the enormous impact of lessening rotating mass which is far more valuable than a different exhaust tone in my books.

No regrets fitting my BST Red Carbon wheels to my 2018 Tuono.
    love them and the benefits
    CURRENT BIKES

Aprilia V4 Tuono 2018
    MV Agusta F3 800 RC 2016
    Yam RD400F 1980

Inspecting carbon push bike parts with ultra sound.

Do not go gentle into that good night,

Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Ultrasound. It reminds me of inspections we do on aircraft. NDI or Non Destructive Inspection. I’m sure they use it on things besides aircraft but that’s what I’m familiar with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed / AF1 Racing View Post
    The greatest bikes ever made that nobody knows about....

Scares me that, no external sign of any damage at all, he then ultrasounds it and retires it,

Cant say I have an ultrasound machine ready to use in the garage

What would be the trigger for ultrasounding a carbon wheel?

I followed my mate last year, he ran over a small (2 inch) rock when banked over, the bike jumped and his rear wheel sustained a dent (MV F4 RR) he actually put
    a block of shaped wood on the rim and bashed it back in line

Would a carbon wheel survive the rock? or would it look ok but need an ultrasound to check it?

taranaki new zealand beneath mount taranaki
    Quote Originally Posted by yamaholic View Post
    Ultrasound. It reminds me of inspections we do on aircraft. NDI or Non Destructive Inspection. I’m sure they use it on things besides aircraft but that’s what I’m familiar with.
    Thats what my son does for a job in Melbourne, he's called a NDT, Non Destructive Technician. interesting job he has travelling around Australia, and spends a lot of his time on rigs, all sorts really.............My mate has carbon wheels on his 1299S, he's done a lot of track days on them and many road miles on our not so perfect roads.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0819 copy.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	381372
    Last edited by DaveNZ; Yesterday at 06:06 PM.
    "The Earth is our ancestor....A restless Planet is our creator"..............................In the shed...... Multistrada 1200, Termi full system with matching ECU, and ohlins SCU. KTM 1290 GT. Torque monster. Remus link and muffler, KTM 790 fun machine.

Quote Originally Posted by mikef4uk View Post
    Scares me that, no external sign of any damage at all, he then ultrasounds it and retires it,

Cant say I have an ultrasound machine ready to use in the garage
    How will this affect the market for used carbon wheels ?
    Vendors may not know that a wheel is damaged.
    Do not go gentle into that good night,

Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodnutt View Post
    How will this affect the market for used carbon wheels ?
    Vendors may not know that a wheel is damaged.
    I dont know, I would like a 'carbon wheel' expert to come on here and talk some truths about carbon wheels, truth as in no 'this is the first failure' crap that normally comes out.

Or maybe an aircraft engineer to tell what they check for on modern planes with masses of carbon fibre, like I mentioned earlier the plane that crashed in NY 2 months after 911 was I believe a carbon fibre tail failure

The vertical stabilizer is connected to the fuselage with six attaching points. Each point has two sets of attachment lugs, one made of composite material, another of aluminum, all connected by a titanium bolt; damage analysis showed that the bolts and aluminum lugs were intact, but not the composite lugs. This, coupled with two events earlier in the life of the aircraft, namely delamination in part of the vertical stabilizer prior to its delivery from Airbus's Toulouse factory, and an encounter with heavy turbulence in 1994, caused investigators to examine the use of composites.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123