Thread: new Capo owner, couple of questions.

apriliaforum Junkie

new Capo owner, couple of questions.

Hey guys, I recently traded my old 2013 Tuono in for a 2015 Caponord TP, I love this bike, the comfort and way it rises! I have a question though.

On the display “code” keeps flashing at the bottom of the display, what is that? Also, is there an ambient temp display, or time? Maybe I’m overlooking something!

apriliaforum Member
    Heh. These were two of the first issues I needed to deal with too. To get rid of the “code” flashing light you need to enter the 4 digit security code; once you do that it goes away. The manual instructions aren’t perfect; do a search on it here you’ll find better directions on how to do that. If you don’t know the code, you can guess...i think the default is 0000; mine was 1111. Obviously, unless you’re really theft paranoid, keep it set to something easy to guess, or you may regret it later.

I don’t know of an ambient temp indicator. But to see the time you’re have to set it first. This is also rather complicated; i think it took me a couple of tries and manual re-reads. But now time pops up easily as I click through all those trip computer settings I don’t use.

sam

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Is the bike brand new? I believe code is referring to Page 46 in the Owners manual

"Entering a new code
    During the motorcycle's first ignition, the message CODE will appear on the digital
    display, blinking slowly. This message warns the rider that the key safety code must
    be entered.
    To access the function, hold button "A" pressed for a few seconds
    Enter code "222", briefly pressing button "B"

Enter the new 5-digit personal code, briefly pressing button "B"
    After entering the code it remains displayed until the instrument panel is switched off."

"Modify code
    It is possible to reset the existing code.
    To access the function, hold button "A" pressed for a few seconds
    Enter code "384", briefly pressing button "B"
    Enter the old code

At this point it is possible to insert the new code."

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by Motoespresso View Post
    Heh. These were two of the first issues I needed to deal with too. To get rid of the “code” flashing light you need to enter the 4 digit security code; once you do that it goes away. The manual instructions aren’t perfect; do a search on it here you’ll find better directions on how to do that. If you don’t know the code, you can guess...i think the default is 0000; mine was 1111. Obviously, unless you’re really theft paranoid, keep it set to something easy to guess, or you may regret it later.

I don’t know of an ambient temp indicator. But to see the time you’re have to set it first. This is also rather complicated; i think it took me a couple of tries and manual re-reads. But now time pops up easily as I click through all those trip computer settings I don’t use.

sam
    I got an update (maybe) manual from Aprilia USA when I sent them an email telling the printed manual that came with the bike was absolutely atrocious. The translation in the printed manual is terrible at some points there was no translation, like they just gave up.

The instructions I pasted are from that pdf and they worked fine for me.

apriliaforum Member
    Oh yeah; 5 digits, not 4...

Those are the instructions I used too. The look simple enough now. I guess the part that had me a little confused is that you need to a) figure out how to time hitting the “accept” button as the display steps through the numbers, about 1 digit a second. B)there is no acknowledgement that you put the correct code in: you need to go through everything, then turn the display off, then on and to see if you had the right code and the gage stops flashing.

Setting the clock was equally cryptic, but now that it’s set, great.

One thing I’ve been wondering is did the guy who owned my bike previously ride it with that flashing for 12,000 miles? What would make it reset? I’ve had the battery disconnected and that didn’t reset it.

Sam

apriliaforum expert coolonthecoast's Avatar
    Theres no ambient temp gauge sadly. Does your fuel gauge work?
    40 odd powered two wheelers over 40 odd years. Currently in the shed are a 2016 Tuono V1100RR and a '79 Honda CB550F

Incredible. How does Aprilia expect us to know whether itís hot or cold when we open the door of the...waaaait a minute

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

apriliaforum expert coolonthecoast's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SudEst View Post
    Incredible. How does Aprilia expect us to know whether it’s hot or cold when we open the door of the...waaaait a minute

Yes, it's true. We are so dependent on gadgets and gizmos these days, however to produce an adventure/touring bike without an ambient temp gauge in the second decade of the 21st century is a glaring omission.

But then we have discussed the lack of information and features on the Capos instrument display many times on here. Talking of poor instrument features, Strack you will also find if you wish to change the speed reading from mph to kph or vice versa you will need to make a trip the dealers.
    40 odd powered two wheelers over 40 odd years. Currently in the shed are a 2016 Tuono V1100RR and a '79 Honda CB550F

apriliaforum Junkie

new Capo owner, couple of questions.

Thanks guys, I absolutely love this bike!! I’m coming off of a 2013 Tuono, I honestly think this bike is more enjoyable!! I did a 171 mile shakedown ride yesterday through our “mountains” here in West Virginia, absolutely perfect bike! Other than the fuel gauge not working..... I’ll call my dealer on Tuesday and see if they’ll drop ship a sending unit lol

Any headlight upgrades? I’ll probably get some LED replacements and go with those!

apriliaforum Member
    Check with your dealer about them replacing the sending unit. My dealer reopened my warranty with aprilia and it cost me nothing and warranty had been out close to 2 years. So far no problems with new sender after roughly 8000 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by SudEst View Post
    Incredible. How does Aprilia expect us to know whether itís hot or cold when we open the door of the...waaaait a minute

I want it to let me know when it is raining, so I can put on my rainsuit.

"7. I will never stop thanking Ducati for their refusal to sign me in 2009" --- Max Biaggi

'02 Falco
    Renegade high-mount, OZ wheels, JCG custom paint, PC III, 48 psi RSV chip, painted Mille swinger, Works Performance shock, Evo airbox/K&N, oversize intake, Jet Hot coated pipes, Heli-bars, MPL clutch slave, braided lines, alarm, Pazzo's, Puig screen, carbon stuff...many more...

'03 Futura
    Ash Black, BEF Exhaust, H-Pipe, Heli-bars, heated grips, tinted screen, alarm, 3 power outlets (2 Powerlet & Gerbing), charging LED, John's regulator, carbon hugger, Vista Cruise, MPL clutch slave, Falco forks, 320mm rotors, Pazzo's, Stebel TM80 horn, Tutoro chain oiler, K&N filter