Thread: Installing side mirrors 2009 Sportcity 250

apriliaforum newb

Installing side mirrors 2009 Sportcity 250

I have an issue about installing the side view mirrors on my 2009 Sportcity 250. I know it they can screw on, but I have a windshield and there isn't room to rotate it. Also, at the base, where the screw is, it looks like there is a housing which rotates separately from the stem. This would allow installation without rotating the whole mirror. I put a solvent on the housing to loosen it, but it isn't budging. Has anyone dealt with this? Thanks.

Ian
    2009 Aprilia Sportcity 250

apriliaforum expert
    You have to loosen the clamp nut first and then rotate the mirror stalk to remove it. Note that sometimes the right hand mirror is left hand threaded to allow the mirror stalk to loosen and swing back without breaking the mount if you sideswipe something.

This video should get you in the right direction as the instructions should let you deal with the mirrors on most motorcycles and scooters.

Depending on the windshield you may have to loosen it and swing it out of the way or completely remove it before you can spin the mirror stalks to unscrew them from the mounts.

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockynv View Post
    You have to loosen the clamp nut first and then rotate the mirror stalk to remove it. Note that sometimes the right hand mirror is left hand threaded to allow the mirror stalk to loosen and swing back without breaking the mount if you sideswipe something.

This video should get you in the right direction as the instructions should let you deal with the mirrors on most motorcycles and scooters.

Depending on the windshield you may have to loosen it and swing it out of the way or completely remove it before you can spin the mirror stalks to unscrew them from the mounts.
    Thanks for the reply. So, sounds like the whole stalk (and mirror assembly) has to rotate to install the mirror. That's what I was hoping to avoid because I have a big windscreen and it is right in the way. The housing at the base doesn't rotate separate from the stalk?

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by yves55 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. So, sounds like the whole stalk (and mirror assembly) has to rotate to install the mirror. That's what I was hoping to avoid because I have a big windscreen and it is right in the way. The housing at the base doesn't rotate separate from the stalk?
    The mirror base mounts are either bolted on from underneath inside the handlebar fairing or on a stud welded to the handle bar assembly so if yours is bolted on from the inside you will need to remove the handle bar fairings first along with the windshield to get to the bolt and if its stud mounted loosening the mirror support is going the tighten the mirror causing it to spin with the possible exception of the right side if the mount is not left hand threaded like the mirror stalk. If you have the factory windshield or Givi the easiest way to deal with it is to loosen the two fasteners from below the handlebar fairing and pull it straight up and off the bike for the factory or drop it down and off the bike for the Givi.

apriliaforum Junkie
    why are you putting a windscreen on a sportcity?

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockynv View Post
    The mirror base mounts are either bolted on from underneath inside the handlebar fairing or on a stud welded to the handle bar assembly so if yours is bolted on from the inside you will need to remove the handle bar fairings first along with the windshield to get to the bolt and if its stud mounted loosening the mirror support is going the tighten the mirror causing it to spin with the possible exception of the right side if the mount is not left hand threaded like the mirror stalk. If you have the factory windshield or Givi the easiest way to deal with it is to loosen the two fasteners from below the handlebar fairing and pull it straight up and off the bike for the factory or drop it down and off the bike for the Givi.
    Thanks for the reply and advice. Removing the mirror base mounts from the handlebar assembly sounds like an even bigger hassle than just removing the windscreen. The whole design is annoying. It would be better if you could install the mirrors without having to rotate the whole mirror assembly while screwing it into the base. But that would require a separate assembly at the bottom of the mirror stalk, which you are indicating it doesn't have.

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by turboblew View Post
    why are you putting a windscreen on a sportcity?
    Because I ride really fast and it came with it

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by yves55 View Post
    Thanks for the reply and advice. Removing the mirror base mounts from the handlebar assembly sounds like an even bigger hassle than just removing the windscreen. The whole design is annoying. It would be better if you could install the mirrors without having to rotate the whole mirror assembly while screwing it into the base. But that would require a separate assembly at the bottom of the mirror stalk, which you are indicating it doesn't have.
    Removing the windshield bolted on from the bottom is really not that bad a deal and the mirror stalks are a pretty standard motorcycle design that has stood the test of time. At least they are not cast into the brake cylinders like they are on some other bikes which can get quite costly and annoying when in a minor drop or knock over you not only have a broken mirror but may also need to replace a brake cylinder.

The windshield if its raked back sufficiently can get you an extra 10 or so MPH top speed even with a headwind making jaunts down the Interstate more realistic and pleasant. I went with the Puig OF6025H Sport Fairing myself since its known to be a bit more efficient design however it is mounted on the mirror stalks and takes a bit of adjusting to get the angle set right for best efficiency however once its dialed in its well worth the effort.