Thread: Chain vs belt

apriliaforum Member

Chain vs belt

Today I was at my local dealership getting a service done and while wandering around looking at bikes I noticed the Ducati Diaval was chain driven while the Xdiaval utilizes a belt. So I'm curious why Ducati went with the belt on one bike and a chain on the other since they are essentially the same motorcycle.

apriliaforum expert craigo298er's Avatar
    Chains don't rob as much power as belts do, and belts require relatively large pulleys that don't always fit the bike or the intended design. Sprockets can be easily swapped to change gear ratios.
    Belts do last a lot longer, though, and don't need as much maintenance (no cleaning or lube, they don't rust). They're also lighter than chain, so less unsprung mass.
    Shaft drives last nearly forever and don't require much maintenance either. They are heavy, though, and rob more power than belts do. Good luck changing gear ratios.
    7H3 M345UR3 0F 1N73LL163NC3 15 7H3 481L17Y 70 CH4N63
    4L83R7 31N5731N

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by craigo298er View Post
    Chains don't rob as much power as belts do, and belts require relatively large pulleys that don't always fit the bike or the intended design. Sprockets can be easily swapped to change gear ratios.
    Belts do last a lot longer, though, and don't need as much maintenance (no cleaning or lube, they don't rust). They're also lighter than chain, so less unsprung mass.
    Shaft drives last nearly forever and don't require much maintenance either. They are heavy, though, and rob more power than belts do. Good luck changing gear ratios.
    Great information and thanks.

apriliaforum expert norcolmille's Avatar
    Marketing - the Xdiavel is marketed to the cruiser community - hence a belt they are familiar with

And I am shocked at the cost of a old tech bulky Harley ( paying for tradition ) compared to the value and performance of a Diavel
    present
    now a 2017 Aprilia Tuono RR let the mods begin
    sold the fun little 675 daytona
    previous - two Gen2 "Factories"
    5 past Apes and other rides too numerous to mention

apriliaforum expert Bill in OKC's Avatar
    Another difference, since the belt cannot be broken and put back together like a chain, some bikes - like Harleys - need the entire swingarm removed to replace the belt. Belts do last a long time but can be a real pita to replace depending on the swingarm design.
    '02 RSVR '07 S4Rs '13 FXSB '75 GT550 '74 H1 500 '71 CB750 '72 Combat Commando Roadster - restoration in progress-will be yellow

apriliaforum expert coolonthecoast's Avatar
    I've owned a couple of Buell firebolts in the past with the belt drive. I'm a big fan, no chain lube all over the back of your bike and therefore easy to clean the back wheel etc. I'd like to see more bike manufacturers adopt belts.
    40 odd powered two wheelers over 40 odd years. Currently in the shed are a 2016 Tuono V1100RR and a '79 Honda CB550F

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by coolonthecoast View Post
    I've owned a couple of Buell firebolts in the past with the belt drive. I'm a big fan, no chain lube all over the back of your bike and therefore easy to clean the back wheel etc. I'd like to see more bike manufacturers adopt belts.

They do...its called Scooters. The rest of your complaint is non sequitur especially when there are shaft drives that are better than both. Of course there is the weight penalty and the rear suspension. Ever launched or ridden a Vmax at full song?? Chassis is going 5 different ways under hard acceleration.