Thread: AA500 Reg/Rec Relocation

apriliaforum newb

AA500 Reg/Rec Relocation

Yep another thread about the AA500 r/r!

Has anyone relocated the reg/rec? The factory position is just begging for the r/r to over heat due to minimal airflow.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	reg-rec.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	380807

apriliaforum expert
    yes i did it on a friends bike and located it over the transmission (under the plastic) there is constant airflow going trough and cooling it.

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by jog View Post
    yes i did it on a friends bike and located it over the transmission (under the plastic) there is constant airflow going trough and cooling it.
    Did you change out the connectors or wiring? Wondering what condition I might find them in with 20k miles.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Is it the heat that is killing them or the poor quality? Regulators have been under hoods for 100 yrs without problems. Heat rises so don't get it to close to the engine or you maybe worse off.

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by twocams View Post
    Is it the heat that is killing them or the poor quality? Regulators have been under hoods for 100 yrs without problems. Heat rises so don't get it to close to the engine or you maybe worse off.
    Got the new mosfet r/r installed. The stock ducati brand r/r had the potting on the bottom fused to the metal shelf it was bolted to. There seems to be plenty of airflow in the stock r/r location.

apriliaforum newb
    After owning some 6 or so Italian bikes, I continued to be amazed at how the engineers that designed the electrical system think they can get the perverbial 10lbs of sh*t in a 5lb bucket! In other words the power from the r/r to the battery uses undersized wire for the application. With the new r/r working I was surprised to feel the main fuses getting warm. Turns out it had been very warm in the past and the fuses/wiring/fuse holder had melted sometime previous.

I'll be adding a direct output from the r/r to the battery positive and additonal grounds. Have done this on a couple of Aprilias in the past and it always increased the r/r output at idle and reduces temperatures in the wiring.

apriliaforum newb
    Regulator rectifier working fine 13.2volts at idle per stock gauge, 14.3v with some rpms.

Replaced the main fuses since the fuse holders were melted. Added an extra ground and connected a dedicated 10gauge wire with a fuse direct to the battery. The overheated wiring is no longer a problem with adequately sized wire.