Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: MotoGP: 2019 Round 05 - SHARK Helmets Grand Prix de France (SPOILERS)

Quote Originally Posted by CRMNL View Post
    and rossi has been at the pointy end for a LONG time. think your favorite rider will be finishing 5th against the best at 40??? just a question for the haters.
    At this level you don't get a pass because of your age and finishing 5th on a Factory Yamaha isn't cutting it either. Especially when their main rivals are winning and consistently on the podium. And most importantly competing for the title. None of which Rossi, or MV are doing. If my fav rider was 40 and finishing 5th on a top factory bike, I'd hope he'd be smart enough to move aside and let a younger faster rider have a go.

MV is still young and fast enough to turn things around. Rossi on the other hand is past his expiration date.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerful Pierre View Post
    Maverick is the faster rider of the two, I don't think there's any doubt about that, but its his inconsistency that's letting him down.....lacking pace in the opening laps is a recurring problem, and getting qualifying wrong doesn't help either, but that's as much down to bad/unfortunate judgement by his team not just the rider.

Rossi has the capacity to grind out steady results but of the current Yamaha riders for outright speed I'd rate him third at best.
    I'm wondering if Mav might be a headcase or something.
    Windmill cancer survivor.
    I don't care about my apathy.

apriliaforum expert
    While Rossi is the oldest guy on a Yamaha, he still manages to be the fastest guy on a Yamaha, so if anyone on the factory Yamaha team needs to worry about his ride it likely isn't Rossi. MV needs to get his shit together. Sure, he may have more pace than Rossi in his pocket, but unless he can consistently put that pace onto the racetrack and start beating Rossi he may need to find a new ride. But I reckon he has some time.
    The reality is, though, that the factory Yamaha team is seriously screwed up. I am not sure they are even the fastest Yamaha team, and that should never happen. Imagine if the factory Honda team was slower than one of the satellite Honda teams. Heads would roll. Perhaps Yamaha need to turn to their support team for some support.......

Quote Originally Posted by Powerful Pierre View Post
    Maverick is the faster rider of the two, I don't think there's any doubt about that, but its his inconsistency that's letting him down.....lacking pace in the opening laps is a recurring problem, and getting qualifying wrong doesn't help either, but that's as much down to bad/unfortunate judgement by his team not just the rider.

Rossi has the capacity to grind out steady results but of the current Yamaha riders for outright speed I'd rate him third at best.
    Mav has beaten VR once this season, and only beat him for the season in 2017, so in theory he's faster but his results aren't showing it yet. Consistency is for sure his issue, and he has to solve it before anyone can say he is faster.
    WMRRA #98
    2013 KTM 990 SMT (street)
    2009 Yamaha R6 (race)

taranaki new zealand beneath mount taranaki
    Quote Originally Posted by WadeS02 View Post
    I'm wondering if Mav might be a headcase or something.
    Id say MV is in the same mould as Lorenzo. The stars have to be alined for to get the best from them selves. As for MM, he alines his stars, his utter determination, and win at all costs drives him. I still think Rossi is an asset to the Moto GP grid, he's consistently pushing the top 3, he's a living legend, and it wouldn't matter to me even if he didn't make the top 10, he's earned his place on the grid, and he's earned the right to choose when its time to call it quits.
    "Be yourself, because everybody else is taken "..............................In the shed...... Multistrada 1200, Termi full system with matching ECU, and ohlins SCU. KTM 1290 GT. Torque monster. Remus link and muffler, KTM 790 fun machine.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveNZ View Post
    Id say MV is in the same mould as Lorenzo. The stars have to be alined for to get the best from them selves. As for MM, he alines his stars, his utter determination, and win at all costs drives him. I still think Rossi is an asset to the Moto GP grid, he's consistently pushing the top 3, he's a living legend, and it wouldn't matter to me even if he didn't make the top 10, he's earned his place on the grid, and he's earned the right to choose when its time to call it quits.
    JL aligns his own stars as well, it just takes him a while sometimes.

Didn't he seem to gel with the Honda well at his very first, pre-scaphoid injury, test? Strange he's not quite gelling now.
    Beware the festive dog; drive soothingly over the grease-mud, for therein lies the skid demon.

I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather, not screaming in terror, like his passengers -- Jack Handey

taranaki new zealand beneath mount taranaki
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
    JL aligns his own stars as well, it just takes him a while sometimes.

Didn't he seem to gel with the Honda well at his very first, pre-scaphoid injury, test? Strange he's not quite gelling now.
    He's probably fighting the mental game. Pedro struggled with the Honda in his last years, i think MM makes the Honda look good.
    "Be yourself, because everybody else is taken "..............................In the shed...... Multistrada 1200, Termi full system with matching ECU, and ohlins SCU. KTM 1290 GT. Torque monster. Remus link and muffler, KTM 790 fun machine.

Now Dave, stop telling it like it is, you will only upset the haters & the usual diatribe will reappear.
    Just wait for it.........

Personally I think the current MotoGP line up is the strongest in a long time & they all deserve to be there.
    Well maybe not KA.? IDK?
    2015(16) RSV4 RR Ascari Black 201HP

Quote Originally Posted by plocky View Post
    Now Dave, stop telling it like it is, you will only upset the haters & the usual diatribe will reappear.
    Just wait for it.........

Personally I think the current MotoGP line up is the strongest in a long time & they all deserve to be there.
    Well maybe not KA.? IDK?
    Rossi deserves to be there more than KA does.
    But in a field of 24 someone has to come last.
    Do not go gentle into that good night,

Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

apriliaforum expert
    Rossi deserves to be there and is a huge asset to Moto GP.
    He’s loved and adored by millions and i’m sure a lot of people follow GP due to him.
    Last edited by murphc13; 05-22-2019 at 11:40 AM.

He's probably fighting the mental game. Pedro struggled with the Honda in his last years, i think MM makes the Honda look good.
    This, Dani's last year was, other than the first 125 one, that he didn't win a race and his worst year end standing as well. He also passed on a test position.
    In France the next best Honda was Cal in 9th and all of the Ducatis and Yamahas that finished were ahead of him. The only rider that can make that bike work on all tracks is MM, period.

I also thick the factory Yamaha team is a mess and needs some shuffling from the top down. By the time of the Aragon GP I expect Fabio to be dialed and possibly beating the Factory boys regularly. Some more wet time and 8-10 GP's and he'll be more consistent. Sure Roscoe deserves to be there, but the satellite would be a better place for him. Hell, he could fund a good portion of it and plaster his name on the bike, fans would love it.

Still not so impressed with Miller. Laughed when he took the gap and hit the front knowing he would fade[or crash] due to tire wear. The interview with Guidotti was interesting along with how much Dovi likes Petrucci as a teammate. But if Dovi finishes runner up again perhaps a change will be made.

Current bottom line is that no one is consistently good enough to beat Marc if Marc doesn't screw up himself.

Roscoes take on the weekend. https://www.marca.com
    Last edited by 02RSVVT; 05-22-2019 at 07:54 AM.

Rossi will retire rather than go to a satellite bike.
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    Colin Edwards RSV R Mille #066 (Sold now. Sigh...)
    2007.5 Tuono

For custom paint work, check out https://www.facebook.com/Trading-Paint-162751633826626/

apriliaforum expert cggunnersmate's Avatar
    I used to think the main reason Rossi has stuck around this long was to beat Ago's all time win record, I think he's still about 7 wins shy but as race wins seem nearly impossible anymore the real reason he's likely still in is pressure from DORNA and Yamaha because of the money he brings through fans and sponsors. If you think DORNA isn't wringing their hands over how many fans and how much money they'll lose when Rossi does retire you're delusional. Don't get me wrong, Rossi retiring doesn't equal the end of GP racing but they will take a big hit in the pocket book.

As great a rider as MM is he doesn't have near the "stage presence" as Rossi.
    Brent
    Chief Gunnersmate
    U.S. Coast Guard (retired)
    Orlando Area
    '12 Tuono V4
    '03 Tuono (For Sale)
    '01 Speed Triple (RIP) 8/26/11
    '98 GSXR 600 (traded for the Tuoldo)
    '86 VFR Interceptor (died in Puerto Rico 20 years ago)

^
    The reason Rossi is still there is that he is fast enough to earn a seat and still has fire in his belly, i.e. is motivated to race and train as well as eat accordingly
    Mille Aarrr -02 (1060 BB, Gen2 heads, 2-2 Akra, timed cams, bespoke Gabro chip + TSS slipper) & KTM 625 SXC -05
    My riding lines are like Hendrix's solos. Unexpected and always different.

I also think VR is racing still because he loves it and is still close enough to the front to remain happy. A satellite bike for him would be a shame, and I don't think will ever happen. He's fast enough to be on a factory bike, even if he most likely will not win another championship, and his history with Yamaha and his career in general has earned it (regardless of whether you like the guy or not).

No one has the stage presence of VR, and I'd be surprised if anyone ever does really. He's the rare combination of extreme talent and charisma. Simo maybe had the potential, but he wasn't on the same talent level.
    WMRRA #98
    2013 KTM 990 SMT (street)
    2009 Yamaha R6 (race)

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast