Thread: Newbie to forum 2005 Scarabeo 500 May 2019

apriliaforum newb

Newbie to forum 2005 Scarabeo 500 May 2019

Hello All,

Say I am the happy new owner of 2005 Scarabeo 500 in Seattle. I have also an amazing Honda 80 Elite so this a big upgrade for sure. I did quite a bit of research before buying this Maxi Scooter. I looked at an Atlantic and Tmax pretty closely. I really like the practicality and looks of this scooter. I am doing most of the maintenance and have a basic question about it. There appears to be a weep hole next to the water pump. So is it common for it to leak a little trail down to oil filter ? I did review the newbie thread post and did not see anything about this in particular. I have down loaded the owners manual and the shop manual as found on AF1. I have taken off the front cover after buying a long handle T allen wrench set. I am keeping a close eye on the radiator fluid level bottle and it does not appear to be loosing fluid. I also have checked often the oil level as well also good. I have a tune up kit with air filter, spark plug and oil filter from Af1 already to go. Bike has only 12,500 miles on her and has all the side hard boxes and factory top box. My first couple of tanks of fuel I have carefully checked the mileage and with all city driving I am getting about 51 - 53 mpg which is much better than my Honda Pilot !

I will be posting some more threads I am sure soon. Any comments appreciated. Sorry picture rotated on download.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6897.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	380558  

apriliaforum expert
    just replace the coolant with a quality G12 coolant, also flush the system with destilled water.
    The old coolant often looses his anticorosive and lubricating aditives and starts eating up the waterpump seals, and corodes the system.
    The regular changing interval on G12 is 5 years.

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by jog View Post
    just replace the coolant with a quality G12 coolant, also flush the system with destilled water.
    The old coolant often looses his anticorosive and lubricating aditives and starts eating up the waterpump seals, and corodes the system.
    The regular changing interval on G12 is 5 years.
    Thanks JOG ! Coolant was just replaced two years ago. I was simply wondering if that was normal to come out of the weep hole.

apriliaforum expert
    Actually on the mixed metal cooling system in your Aprilia the factory maintenance schedule requires the coolant to be flushed out and replaced every 2 years regardless of how many miles it has been ridden.

Your cooling system per Aprilia is due for flushing and new coolant since its been 2 years since it was last changed.

Unfortunately if the previous owner skipped any coolant flushes/changes the shaft seal on the water pump could already be compromised so you would want to keep an eye on it. On these bikes the water pump is driven by the crankshaft so if the inner shaft seal fails you may get coolant in your engine oil and the dreaded milk shake. If you see any signs of the engine oil getting grey or foamy you will need to stop running the bike and get that repaired before any internal hard parts start to rust and corrode.

Vespa Motor Sports works on a great many bikes and put out this video to show what can happen when you follow a 5 year coolant change compared to the Vespa/Piaggio/Aprilia 2 year coolant change schedule:

apriliaforum newb

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Rockynv View Post
    Actually on the mixed metal cooling system in your Aprilia the factory maintenance schedule requires the coolant to be flushed out and replaced every 2 years regardless of how many miles it has been ridden.

Your cooling system per Aprilia is due for flushing and new coolant since its been 2 years since it was last changed.

Unfortunately if the previous owner skipped any coolant flushes/changes the shaft seal on the water pump could already be compromised so you would want to keep an eye on it. On these bikes the water pump is driven by the crankshaft so if the inner shaft seal fails you may get coolant in your engine oil and the dreaded milk shake. If you see any signs of the engine oil getting grey or foamy you will need to stop running the bike and get that repaired before any internal hard parts start to rust and corrode.

Vespa Motor Sports works on a great many bikes and put out this video to show what can happen when you follow a 5 year coolant change compared to the Vespa/Piaggio/Aprilia 2 year coolant change schedule:
    Thanks Rockynv! good video! Oil looks good for now. On a new bike I check it about every ride for the first months just for this sort of reason. Also other fluids as well. But will plan to change soon.

apriliaforum expert
    Correct, aprilia / piaggio suggests changing all fluids every 2 years. I just state that the G12 is designed to have a life of 5 years without change.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by jog View Post
    Correct, aprilia / piaggio suggests changing all fluids every 2 years. I just state that the G12 is designed to have a life of 5 years without change.
    Which is great for new systems designed to take advantage of it however on an old bike that potentially has not been maintained properly over its life and has corrosion issues in the head, radiator, etc regardless of what you use the 2 year schedule should be followed. Even switching to something such as Evans Cool will not truly be as long lasting as they advertise it unless you replace all the corroded components in the system such as the head along with the water pump, clamps and hoses.