Thread: Piston to valve clearance ?

apriliaforum Member

Piston to valve clearance ?

Hey Gang - My most recent project is a 2008 Scabby 200. Tried to get it running but I think head gasket is blown (Pulled plug out to check for spark and radiator fluid came out of head). I am on the hunt to find a new gasket for it and AF1, said I need to check valve to piston clearance before they can tell me which gasket I need. Can anyone tell me how to measure this?
    2016 Piaggio BV 350
    2008 Yamaha WR 250

apriliaforum expert
    I would ask AF1 how they want you to take that measurement so it will be guaranteed to be done in the manner that they require however on the Chinese 200 I thought it was the base gasket that came in three different thicknesses to adjust squish and not the head gasket.

There is only one part specified for the head gasket (854795) and three different base gaskets (CM222801, CM222802 and CM222803). AFAIK if your not replacing the base gasket then you should not need to measure anything except whether its a 125cc or a 200cc engine which you already know.

Perhaps they were confused and thought you were buying parts for the older 2003 to 2006 200cc engine which does have 3 different head gaskets of different thicknesses listed for it so another reason to call them back and confirm that they understand you do not have the older Atlantic 200 and do have the new style engine in the 2008 Scarabeo 200.

While your at it be sure to replace the valve cover gasket (873651) four valve cover bolt seals (AP3CAA000399) and gasket 874617.

apriliaforum Member
    As always Thank you Rocky. It was quite confusing to me as I have down quite a few head gaskets and never came across this question. In essence its my fault I gave them the wrong part #. I was looking at the base of the head and not the upper part, which is what i would be placing.
    2016 Piaggio BV 350
    2008 Yamaha WR 250

apriliaforum expert
    FastC - It happens so you need to question things when it does and start verifying.

I just did a repair on a dishwasher and the supplier called me to advise that I had ordered the wrong parts since he did not recognize them so he had me verifying everything. Turns out in this case I was right and he was wrong but shows how even the experts get turned around so your in good company.

Just glad you got it sorted before you ordered the parts.

You may want to consider putting some cheap oil in that as a flush after you get it all together so after you warm up the engine you can drain it out along with any coolant residue it picks up before putting the real engine oil in it along with a new oil filter.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by FastCletus View Post
    Hey Gang - My most recent project is a 2008 Scabby 200. Tried to get it running but I think head gasket is blown (Pulled plug out to check for spark and radiator fluid came out of head). I am on the hunt to find a new gasket for it and AF1, said I need to check valve to piston clearance before they can tell me which gasket I need. Can anyone tell me how to measure this?
    how much is a head gasket?? There is plenty of clearance on stock engine. Even if you put the thickest one on... it wont hurt performance.

apriliaforum Member
    Yes that is the plan to run some oil through it then drain it.

I bought a gasket set from scooterparts. AF1 was OOS. I think it was $55. Should be here next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2016 Piaggio BV 350
    2008 Yamaha WR 250

apriliaforum expert
    Great! Get it cleaned out and flushed of any coolant foam in the crankcase. Have you drained the oil out and at least put some PBlaster or WD40 in the cylinder to prevent the piston rings, cylinder liner, etc from rusting and seizing? If not then you may need that new base gasket since you'll likely need to remove the cylinder to remove the piston and inspect the rings and cylinder bore. You can lightly hone the cylinder but if the rings rusted they will likely need to be replaced. Don't wait too much longer if this is a recent event or you may have rusty cams, chains, crank, etc to also deal with.

If you bought the bike not running and the coolant has been in the cylinder/crankcase for some time then you may have a bit more remediation to do. You'll have a better idea when you pull off the valve cover and check the condition of the old oil in the crankcase.

Was the coolant fairly clean when it came out of the spark plug hole or tinged black or rusty?

apriliaforum Member
    Havenít popped the top yet but if there was any question of a blown head gasket, hereís my proof

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2016 Piaggio BV 350
    2008 Yamaha WR 250

apriliaforum Member
    Got the valve cover off today and got a camera inside the head to look at piston. All looks OK internally. No rust. Drained the oil , and excluding the picture above the oil didn't look to bad albeit old and tired. I started questioning my judgement of blown head gasket but then when I took off oil filter i could clearly see the coolant and oil mix.
    I bought this scooter for $250, and so far I am doing pretty good with it. bought a lot of parts to make it pretty but still into it all and all maybe $600. I can probably sell it for about $1350- $1450. Problem is parts from Italy takes forever. These parts are the major hold up - JC41970X92000 Silent-block, connecting rod.
    2016 Piaggio BV 350
    2008 Yamaha WR 250

apriliaforum expert
    Is there a freeze plug in the head under the cam. On some Piaggio engines this has been a Pain Point when coolant flushes have not been kept up with since the steel plug tends to rot out allowing coolant into the oil return from the head. You may want to pour at least a bit if ATF or Mystery oil down the spark plug hole to protect the rings and bore while your waiting to pursue it more fully.