Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: is 2015 RSV4 Factory too much of a monster for my second bike ever?

Twist of the wrist will never become obsolete. It’s a classic
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed / AF1 Racing View Post
    The greatest bikes ever made that nobody knows about....

Interesting that the OP posted this Question in 2 places & hasn't been back with a comment. Hmm.

https://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/...82#post4566782
    2015(16) RSV4 RR Ascari Black 201HP

That rubber thing in your right hand ain't your dick. Twist it accordingly.
    Bikes:
    2007.5 Tuono-Black, with 1102cc's of micah's badness!
    2012 Griso-Silver and black, Agostini pipe, some carbon bits.
    2006 Vespa GT200-bitubo suspension all around, Malossi big-bore, head and cam, Akrapovic pipe, all put together by Micah.

gone 2002 Caponord-Oyster gray (as faithful as a hound dog)
    gone Futura-Red (on the AF1 showroom floor. Get some.)

The more I learn about people, the more I appreciate rocks.

taranaki new zealand beneath mount taranaki
    Hasn't ridden for 20 years then is asking experienced Aprilia riders if its wise for him to buy a RSV4. Id say a big NO. there are so many pit falls to riding a bike on the roads, let alone the HP these bikes make, the rate they gather speed, they are deceptively fast, and to a novice its not a wise step up to motorcycle of this calibre, 45 is not old, its a great age to be riding at, but you need experience, and get that on something forgiving, not too intimidating, and rack up miles, nothing beats experience on the road. I think a lot of guys on here have forgotten what its like to be a green rider, a rider starting out after a 20 year break, theres so much to learn, especially with reaction time, and making those right decisions in a split second, milage on the road prepares you for a step up to something like an RSV.
    "Be yourself, because everybody else is taken "..............................In the shed...... Multistrada 1200, Termi full system with matching ECU, and ohlins SCU. KTM 1290 GT. Torque monster. Remus link and muffler, KTM 790 fun machine.

apriliaforum expert
    The husband of a friend of mine though an experienced Cruiser Rider with many years of continual experience with no gaps who rode year round made the jump to Sport Bikes and on his second ride (first time on a highway) which was to pick up his new Arai Helmet and new Sport Bike Gear learned to the full level of devotion why he should have gone with a more forgiving Sport Bike as his first or at least taken the MSF Advanced Riders Course before jumping on it. It was a closed casket funeral since there was no body per-say but just a bin with what remnants of him they were able to scrape off the road with a coal shovel. They did find his wedding ring in what they scraped up and enough of his teeth to identify him. His wife was pregnant with her first child at the time and would get ill whenever she saw a Sport Bike for quite a few years after that so we did not ride or talk about riding when we she was present. It was a case of fixation on the traffic that he was merging out in front of so he just misjudged the throttle and over-sped into the lane clipping a semi-trailer to get bounced/ground up between it and the concrete barriers on the side of the bridge. The cruisers he was used to had no where close to the throttle response so it caught him off guard and the rest is history.

Like others along with myself have said Best Practice would be to re-learn to ride on something less than an Exotic Super Bike before jumping on an RSV4.

Some may be quite cavalier about this and recommend throwing caution to the wind however they won't be the ones risking their lbs of flesh along with the rest of their lives in doing so. You may quickly get back into the groove and up to Super Bike riding levels while taking the Riders Course, in a short time afterwards or it may require a year so take whatever time is needed for you to re-learn the basics of safe riding and control first.

Name:  97d.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  13.6 KB
    hubris-that's the game with the blocks, right?

/ˌʌɪəˈtɒlə/

I am gunna put it out there and say that mm will win two more titles with Honda to equal the hated ones record. Then jump ship to another bike. Im gunna say Suzuki or Ducati. Yuall heard it here first.

ape66

apriliaforum expert craigo298er's Avatar
    ride in rain mode and with the electronic aids on as restrictive as possible for a week. slowly taper off
    7H3 M345UR3 0F 1N73LL163NC3 15 7H3 481L17Y 70 CH4N63
    4L83R7 31N5731N

Quote Originally Posted by DaveNZ View Post
    Hasn't ridden for 20 years then is asking experienced Aprilia riders if its wise for him to buy a RSV4. Id say a big NO. there are so many pit falls to riding a bike on the roads, let alone the HP these bikes make, the rate they gather speed, they are deceptively fast, and to a novice its not a wise step up to motorcycle of this calibre, 45 is not old, its a great age to be riding at, but you need experience, and get that on something forgiving, not too intimidating, and rack up miles, nothing beats experience on the road. I think a lot of guys on here have forgotten what its like to be a green rider, a rider starting out after a 20 year break, theres so much to learn, especially with reaction time, and making those right decisions in a split second, milage on the road prepares you for a step up to something like an RSV.
    I'd have to say I'm with Dave on this. First time I rode an RSV4 a bit of wee came out and I'm far from inexperienced with sportsbikes!
    Professional Goat Burster.

Quote Originally Posted by pete roper View Post
    I'd have to say I'm with Dave on this. First time I rode an RSV4 a bit of wee came out and I'm far from inexperienced with sportsbikes!
    Ahh, chicken shit, here is my quote from his other thread (interesting the OP still has only 2 posts? so it's likely a baited question for research).

Quote Originally Posted by plocky View Post
    hey there young fella.

I too had a break from bikes for 20 years & my return bike was the RSV4RR with 200hp

I did race 750 superbikes 30 years ago though, so I have a lot old skill memories buried deep within.

BTW: I'm approaching 60 this year & I love every minute of riding my Ape on the road or on the track. I call it therapy.

I'm also 5'10" but weigh about 70 kg (154 pounds). The bike feels small to me, more like a 600 compared to the superbikes I rode.
    2015(16) RSV4 RR Ascari Black 201HP

Yeah, well, I'm obviously just a softcock who is terrified of everything! I can live with that label!

Pete
    Professional Goat Burster.

I made this video years ago back on Sportbikes.net

It doesn't exactly apply, but it's not far off.

As far as advice, I wouldn't. That 20 years ago experience might as well not even exist. A 1999, assuming you had a brand new one, ZX-6R is a fucking JOKE compared to a '15 RSV4, even with all of the nannies on maximum. There is no pitfall besides some 'wasted' time getting a more reasonable machine for a year, as well as some refresher schooling. Do you really want to be one of 'them'? That fucking guy on a near 200hp machine that's scared shitless of it, and is parking it in the corners, being twitchy and just generally unsafe while he 're-learns' riding? Fuck that. Get some $2500 SV650 and ring it's neck. Sell it for what you bought it for a year later and you're going to feel MUCH more comfortable throwing a leg over that RSV4. (Though, you should still have nannies on max, and slowly back down from there.)

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Akumu View Post
    I made this video years ago back on Sportbikes.net

It doesn't exactly apply, but it's not far off.

As far as advice, I wouldn't. That 20 years ago experience might as well not even exist. A 1999, assuming you had a brand new one, ZX-6R is a fucking JOKE compared to a '15 RSV4, even with all of the nannies on maximum. There is no pitfall besides some 'wasted' time getting a more reasonable machine for a year, as well as some refresher schooling. Do you really want to be one of 'them'? That fucking guy on a near 200hp machine that's scared shitless of it, and is parking it in the corners, being twitchy and just generally unsafe while he 're-learns' riding? Fuck that. Get some $2500 SV650 and ring it's neck. Sell it for what you bought it for a year later and you're going to feel MUCH more comfortable throwing a leg over that RSV4. (Though, you should still have nannies on max, and slowly back down from there.)
    lol. I remember that vid from years ago.

Go for it i just got my 1st bike and its a 16 tuono factory and it feels way better than the bikes i used to take my motorcycle test with. I've put about 1400 miles on it in a month and still going

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123