Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sxv road racer

apriliaforum prov-nov

Sxv road racer

https://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/...R-Kit-9500-OBO

It appears I am the soon-to-be new owner of this bike. Iím currently awaiting delivery and I canít wait! I have drooled over the RRV and road race conversions on this forum and others for the last 2-3 years. This bike popped up on wera forum, and the seller has been great, I just couldnít pass it up.

To be honest I am just learning about the issues with engine/coolant temperature from some old posts from the original owner just prior to the first sale. I hope this isnít a sign of a bigger issue. The bike has suffered a low-speed low side between the original sale and now, but otherwise was advertised as running without problems. Like I said, the previous owner has been great with communication. If the bike/engine needs some regular TLC, Iím OK with that.

Searching and reading the forums have been useful in getting ideas on replacing the rashed bodywork. Iím handy with a TIG if new mounts need to be added.

So, I am looking for some input on tires. It appears the original Dunlop slicks are still on the bike. I donít believe I run fast enough to keep heat in the tires. I am looking to switch to another trackday oriented tire for my slo-ass but am having issues finding a rear in 160 that fits a 5.5 rear rim. I would rather not go 180 as it seems to defeat the purpose of this lightweight bike.

Also Iíd like to know if there are any changes you would make now that the bike is no longer confined to racing regulations. For down the line...

Otherwise, I plan on riding this bike until my skill set improves. Trackdays, no racing in my future. Maybe change the MC to something smaller, though.

I have raced an Aprilia SXV 550 on a supermoto track, Pikes Peak and also a track, 160 supermoto race tires are what you want. 120/160 is what all of us ran on the 5.4 inch wide rims rear wheels. I am local to you so if you need and help just PM me.
    2017 Aprilia Factory Tuono
    2017 Husqvarna FS 450 race bike
    2012 KTM 500 EXC supermoto street/race anything bike

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by G2G View Post
    I have raced an Aprilia SXV 550 on a supermoto track, Pikes Peak and also a track, 160 supermoto race tires are what you want. 120/160 is what all of us ran on the 5.4 inch wide rims rear wheels. I am local to you so if you need and help just PM me.
    Thanks for the offer! I work on the South side but live in the western burbs.

Good to know you run 160's without issue. I looked up the technical data pdfs from continental, pirelli and a couple others and they all state their 160/60 tire (SM included) fits recommended rims from 4.? up to 5.0. But I'll take a racer's word over that.

Or I could get a 5.0 rear Marchesini.
    Last edited by jcw; 05-07-2019 at 10:55 PM.

I also run a smaller tire on my track only sxv450, on stock wheelset. 165/55/17. Works great! 180/60/17 on my street sxv550, just because it looks good
    2018 Tuono Factory
    2017 R1M
    2008 SXV 550 Street bike
    2007 SXV "450" Race bike
    2008 YZ450 Supermoto Race bike

apriliaforum Junkie
    As a dedicated track bike, you should flush the cooling system to see if there's any rust from leaving pure water in it.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I wish I was in a state that I could plate this bike...

apriliaforum prov-nov
    It's here!
    First thing I did was put it on scales...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190511_081436.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	380344Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190511_081458.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	380345

Not 260# but looking through some of the weights and measures from old posts, this seems like a consistent number. And almost 100# less than the lightest bike I've ridden before. I'm happy!
    The steering feels impossibly light pushing it around. The bike feels like it's standing on its nose. The fairing stays all look relatively symmetrical and unbent from the fall. The resrsets intact.
    I can't figure out why the 19RCS lever travel is more than a dual disc setup with only one caliper? Maybe it's a 15rcs, I will have to check.
    I'm going to wait for it to warm up a little before I start it.

One thing I'd like to change for reliability is that the powercommader. I would like to remove it and flash/tune the ecu directly. Then get a better quality quickshifter.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arrived.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	103.1 KB 
ID:	380350
    Last edited by jcw; 05-11-2019 at 10:37 AM.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    MC is a 15RCS. Perfect! other than I don't like the RCS as much as the fixed ones. A little too much free play for me at initial lever movement and less feel on hard braking than the billet stuff. I don't know why, it's just the way it feels to me. I've had a 19rcs, 14rcs (obviously for another bike), forged and billet 19x18 brembos. the billet had the best power and feel.
    Last edited by jcw; 05-11-2019 at 12:21 PM.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Bike is running a 16t front sprocket. And a WELL worn chain guide.

I spent the last couple hours reading about 17t sprockets, notched swingarms and speed in gears. I have a headache... I don't know what exactly to do to prevent this excessive wear.

How many teeth on the rear sprocket? Slider is more related to rear sprocket size, but I’m guessing you know that. Going up one in the front and three in the rear will help a lot with slider wear.

I also agree with your earlier post about ditching the PC for direct tuning. What brand of QS is currently installed?

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by SXVINWA View Post
    How many teeth on the rear sprocket? Slider is more related to rear sprocket size, but I’m guessing you know that. Going up one in the front and three in the rear will help a lot with slider wear.

I also agree with your earlier post about ditching the PC for direct tuning. What brand of QS is currently installed?
    up 1 front and 3 rear will keep close the same final drive ratio, right?
    the rear is 41 or 42. i will double check. -4, no wonder its eating guides.
    will the bike pull 130 in road race trim? i was looking for a gearing and tire combo to get me close. using excel spreadsheet from someone here. great tool.

bike has 120/70 and 165/55 tires currently but thry are the rock hard dunlop racing tires that i will never be able to keep hot enough at my level. so tires are another decision i have to make. i leaning toward a set of 120/70 and 160/60 conti attack sm at the moment

QS is dynojet.

Yes; I mentioned that ratio change to try and keep final ratio about the same.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    What racket the chain makes! Feels like it’s gonna jump the sprocket if i’m not sitting on the bike. Chain play is like 2 inches and will easily hit the bottom of the swingarm if you lift it. The rear chain guide or tensioner or whatever you call it is no longer on the bike. I know next to nothing about this bike. Fortunately the service manual was included. I’ll go through the pertinent sections.

i briefly ran it up and down the street. Power and delivery reminds me a lot of the Duke 690 down low but with a feeling of coming on cam as the revs rise. The ease you could overrev the engine is great... definitely a different sound than the inline 4’s and my 40yo triple i’ve been riding.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Just read that the front brake caliper is spaced the same as Brembo's 100mm/30mm offset caliper.
    How nice!

The swingarm and chain is bothering me something awful though. I need to get that figured out before I spend more on the bike.
    Is this the main hurdle for these conversions? I wonder how the RRV450 got around this issue?

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Simple adjustment on the chain and the chain rattle is much better.
    I think I've settled on an initial plan- 160/60r17 rear wheel, 17T front sprocket, 42 and 43 rear sprocket, 4.5 Marchesiini rear wheel, XV tuner cable.
    I'm gonna give Noland trans world and af1 a call today...
    Sharkskinz order for a rs125 upper to replace the rashed and holed fairings
    Last edited by jcw; 05-16-2019 at 08:05 AM.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast