Thread: Some Mille issues

Some Mille issues

Hi I have to admit to adding the distance from the MOT testers last year to home,1 2001 Aprilia Mille, possibly as I have other machines and in particular a Cagiva Raptor which for me is far more comfortable( and sadly the replacement for a Futura which got written off.)

That I had planned to MOT in tandem, taking the Raptor and coming back by bus pass( first useage)It failed on a rear brake issue but despite a new battery on the Mille and starting it that morning, she was reluctant to start, but after a boost charge it did.

This time having spent a fair deal(?..) on my Aprilia Atlantic beforehand last year and the time gap sourcing a new rear brake unit, the Cagiva developed a fault on dip, so this year the plan was to get the Maxi Scooter MOTd in tandem with the Mille, however the folly of it being crammed in to the conservatory, resulted in both LED indicators left side hanging off.

Again History repeating it started the previous evening but just churned over without firing in the morning.
    I rang the dealer who said regarding the indicators he had a pair of orange ones but mention of the LED he said no you cant mix them, (or simply take em off)for the test.

On the basis I couldnt find the Cagiva light fault, very reluctantly, to be honest,really not wishing the dealer more oportunity of relieving me a load more money( as apro po of the Atlantic last year,which passed without advisory this time) thats just what happened.

New indicators on the Mille work OK on the right but all indicators come on together and despite trying them both with and without the ballast blocks the same thing happens and electrics and me arent great mates, so any advices would be really welcome.

With a struggle I had the plugs out finding them sooty but also wet. The bike would start but then be reluctant to restart and as I keep charging the battery wonder if it wasnt up to the job from the get go?I have got a new pair of plugs so either way hope those will improve matters.

I have decided to try and sell the Raptor and when sorted the Mille too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7D6B0277-C09D-4342-8DDE-F59EADDF4546.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	379473  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E4F0E198-0FB4-4268-B117-D6EE851FD135.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	379472  

Last edited by GBt; 04-28-2019 at 06:59 AM. Reason: additions

apriliaforum newb
    Have you checked Tps sensor? Mine was a little loose so probably moving a little because of the vibration. Bike was hard to start, start easily after calibration and fastening.

Sent fra min BLA-L29 via Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 45316 View Post
    Have you checked Tps sensor? Mine was a little loose so probably moving a little because of the vibration. Bike was hard to start, start easily after calibration and fastening.

Thanks will give tha try.

apriliaforum newb
    Just rember the screws only enters a few treads so it is easy to strip the treads. I used longer screws because my treads was damaged.

Forgive my tardiness in replying, and presume you are referring to the tip over sensor,( and not the throttle body one, s(admitedly after 50 years on /off bikes things have become complicated in such respect, and I revised and looked it all up)
    Thats also where sites such as this are so brilliant,and thanks 45316.

having changed the plugs it still wasnt starting regullarly and the sensor wasnt in the holder from the get go,I did take it apart and seemed fine,so when placed therein, the correct way up, its starting fine but the plugs were sooty and wet when trying to start before changing them so she will get a full service now.

It just leaves the indicators which admitedly had suffered with bikes crammed into the conservatory( which unfortunately thieves got into and took 2 marine outboards and my Sachs Madass,which was later found nearby on a beach ruined.)that is one less but sad it had to be thus, and I had top bids on EBay with the Cagiva Raptor however that I found was leaking oil when hot after a rideout, so I had no choice but to contact the high bidder and apologise,then cancel the transaction.

Again finding what maybe simpler things on lesser bikes with these large sophisicated VTwins(owned 4 Italian jobs and 3 smaller VTwins and currently still own 3)I had no choice but get the local dealer to sort out why dip wasnt working after a new light was fitted on the Raptor and really am becoming allergic to handing over my hard earned( ok retirement funds) Even they admited a small had been spent on my Ape Atlantic Maxi Scooter, but that is another reason for selling the bigger ones.It is very practical and powerfull enough to tour on.

Anyways back to the Mille, the tank is raised the switch is apart and the indicator flasher unit could be accessed after removing the headlight fairing.This swapped for another Aprilia one the same but the LED blinkers come on and blink independantly on the right but when switched over to the left all four flash in unison so its not that either!?

Name:	B2412DA3-B235-416D-9A56-C3A1B61D85B4.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	380204  

Quote Originally Posted by GBt View Post
    Forgive my tardiness in replying, and presume you are referring to the tip over sensor,( and not the throttle body one, s(admitedly after 50 years on /off bikes things have become complicated in such respect, and I revised and looked it all up)
    Thats also where sites such as this are so brilliant,and thanks 45316.

having changed the plugs it still wasnt starting regullarly and the sensor wasnt in the holder from the get go,I did take it apart and seemed fine,so when placed therein, the correct way up, its starting fine but the plugs were sooty and wet when trying to start before changing them so she will get a full service now.

It just leaves the indicators which admitedly had suffered with bikes crammed into the conservatory( which unfortunately thieves got into and took 2 marine outboards and my Sachs Madass,which was later found nearby on a beach ruined.)that is one less but sad it had to be thus, and I had top bids on EBay with the Cagiva Raptor however that I found was leaking oil when hot after a rideout, so I had no choice but to contact the high bidder and apologise,then cancel the transaction.

Again finding what maybe simpler things on lesser bikes with these large sophisicated VTwins(owned 4 Italian jobs and 3 smaller VTwins and currently still own 3)I had no choice but get the local dealer to sort out why dip wasnt working after a new light was fitted on the Raptor and really am becoming allergic to handing over my hard earned( ok retirement funds) Even they admited a small had been spent on my Ape Atlantic Maxi Scooter, but that is another reason for selling the bigger ones.It is very practical and powerfull enough to tour on.

Anyways back to the Mille, the tank is raised the switch is apart and the indicator flasher unit could be accessed after removing the headlight fairing.This swapped for another Aprilia one the same but the LED blinkers come on and blink independantly on the right but when switched over to the left all four flash in unison so its not that either!?

You need a in-line resistor to correct this. I had the same issue when I went to Rizoma Avio 21 Turn Signals. Fortunately they come with the resistors, more than I needed even. Unfortunately you are all the way on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean and I live next to the Pacific. Otherwise I'd give you two of my spares but shipping would ridiculous so it would probably be cheaper for you to buy them locally. From what I've read you can also add a diode at the dash wiring, but I had resistors that were supplied so I was lazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryogenic View Post
    Growing old is compulsory............but growing up isn't!!

apriliaforum expert

Quote Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
    You need a in-line resistor to correct this. I had the same issue when I went to Rizoma Avio 21 Turn Signals. Fortunately they come with the resistors, more than I needed even. Unfortunately you are all the way on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean and I live next to the Pacific. Otherwise I'd give you two of my spares but shipping would ridiculous so it would probably be cheaper for you to buy them locally. From what I've read you can also add a diode at the dash wiring, but I had resistors that were supplied so I was lazy.
    The new flashers did not come with resistors so the one below was a pair off the old rear LEDs,they work with or bypassed with the same problem

Not being funny but elsewhere on here I read someone had the flasher pack up after his fitting the LEDs, someone replied he had fitted ordinary ones to the front with LED rears and his worked fine.

As I said I tried changing the flasher unit for one actually on a little 50 cc Ape Tuono( what makes you think despite all that I love Italian bikes?) The unit looks exactly the same and worked the same with both left right flashing together when left switch pressed but independantly on the right hand side when switch to the right.
    so perhaps an adjustable Flasher unit would work as advised,

many thanks once again for taking the trouble to reply.

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	380251  

Last edited by GBt; 05-09-2019 at 10:29 PM.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Another option for the 4 way signal problem is the diode fix.

It's a fairly involved process and if you're not comfortable with modifying electrics or using a soldering iron I'd reccomend getting someone else to do it for you or forgoing it altogether and using ballast resistors as others have mentioned.

Thanks Yogi, I am not bad at soldering but attacking a loom puts the fear of the almighty into me.
    Which is why I got the yokel dealership to find a fault with the headlight dip, on my other 1000 VTwin a Cagiva, an ongoing issue since running out of talent and parting company with the bike en route to Portrush for the NW200, I simply couldnt find that fault .

So not exactly sure resistors off the old LEDs were OK on the old ones, why wont ,don't they with the new ones bought.

Another thing I noticed is the rear lights tend to flash, hardly noticeable, in daylight same with the neutral warning light.

Anyway once again thanks for the exchanges of knowlege, The taken apart TPs was reseated and I guess having the Battery in and out, likewise changing the Solonoid may have upset https://www.facebook.com/100003095379855/videos/2201879229925235/?t=4 just highlights shows just how little my Gen 1 has been used, I will see what happens when the new adjustable flasher unit (with resistor)unit take it from there seeking more expert help with the diodes.

Kind regards Gavin
    Last edited by GBt; 05-14-2019 at 03:44 PM.

Blooming LEDs my adjustable new flasher unit they claimed was delivered wasnt,however they offered me a refund or replacement.
    Had thought to try and sell my Mille but really would sooner my Cagiva went, it had a high bidder but I found an oil leak, so had to inform winner, but found it was coming from the g/box drain plg with the collector pipe right in the eay.

Fixed did about 200 miles Saturday and went to a Wednesday evening Village Green meet yesterday evening all good.

Blooming LEDs my adjustable new flasher unit they claimed was delivered wasnt,however they offered me a refund or replacement.
    Had thought to try and sell my Mille but really would sooner my Cagiva went, it had a high bidder but I found an oil leak, so had to inform winner, but found it was coming from the g/box drain plg with the collector pipe right in the eay.

Fixed did about 200 miles Saturday and went to a Wednesday evening Village Green meet yesterday evening all good.Too man in the fleabay bidding stakes messaged his German Shepherd had to have a Thousand quids of Vets Bills, sorry had my doubts his address Isle of Wight.

Name:	D2A30017-CDA8-4801-A7B5-939D2214B9D6.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	381259