Thread: Warped front rotors

apriliaforum newb

Warped front rotors

Hi Guys,

Exactly 1 Year to the day - my Shiver 900 has done 11K KM.

Except for an intermediate oil /oil filter air filter change.....itís gone through 4 sets of tires!

The front brake lever is modulating, indicative of a warped rotor. Unusual for 11k but I do ride all weather.

I discovered on AF1 that the OEM disks are Longzhong Chinese something or other.

I want them off the bike ASAP.
    Anyone replace their rotors with Brembo?
    If so, which model?

What are they like?
    On the same note, anyone upgrade callipers?

Thank you

Coz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2007 SV650s
    2018 Shiver 900

apriliaforum expert
    Mine have an oscillating brake torque which I managed to reduce by "servicing" the buttons on the discs.

The buttons are the round bits that allow "float" between the outer braking surface and the inner carrier. You pop a bolt through them, tighten a nut onto it, then spray in your favourite cleaner (some have tried a pressure washer) and rotate to get any gunk and grit out.

Otherwise mine are slightly out of round, or off-centre / eccentric, which doesn't help. They are not appreciably warped from side to side.

I was looking at the standard Brembo Serie Oro (standard Aprilia 320 mm fit), which I will do when I replace pads.

If you want different calipers, the bolt mounts limit your choices severely. Not many bikes come with 80 (ish?) mm mounts like our Aprilias. To get the more standard 100 mm mounts, you can try fitting forks from a different bike. Our triple clamps are 51 top and 53 mm bottom - the RSV / Tuono / V4 forks all fit, but are around 25 mm shorter. I'm currently running my bike at 5 rings showing above the clamp (about 25 mm) and it feels great.
    2009 Shiver (White) | UK

I had warped rotors on my DD with less than 7000 miles on the bike. Upgraded to Brembo Series Oro which is really a floating disc with 10 buttons. The bike is much better under heavy braking.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3953.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	100.9 KB 
ID:	380859

apriliaforum newb
    well I thought I posted this yesterday. Different bike, but after warping a disc on my Futura during a tire change, I went with Braking wave discs. I like talking to the Braking guys back when I was racing and the price was right. With the same brand pads, the feel is much improved, they are lighter and cheaper than Brembos, and look cool.

About the only thing I don't like about my 900 is the discs that I thought were actually cheap dinner plates from Ikea and not Chinese. Instead of an exhaust, I think I will get some Braking WK001 discs and sell the stock ones.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    8000 miles and no problems with stock discs. They work great. Maybe I don't brake much.
    2018 DD
    2015 Multistrada
    2016 Yamaha WR250R

apriliaforum newb
    I feel that oscillating feeling when coming to a stop around very slow speeds, like under 10 MPH. I donít feel the oscillations when braking at speed.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    There are a couple things to try before replacing the rotors. Make sure the disc bobbins are clean and have some movement. Clean the rotors with a scotchbrite pad to remove pad buildup. Once I even took the rotor off a Ducati and moved it to another position on the wheel. Changed the harmonics and was much better. BTW, the original discs were in spec for run out.
    2018 DD
    2015 Multistrada
    2016 Yamaha WR250R

apriliaforum expert
    The brake force oscillation on mine is much reduced (I don't think I can even feel it any more) with a set of Brembo M4 calipers fitted - the front wheel and rotors are the same as they were before, only cleaner. The (standard Speed Triple R) pads currently lack bite, which might affect things, but there's enough power if you give em a squeeze.

Perhaps the short length of the stock caliper / pad doesn't play nice with the float in what are large diameter rotors with very few buttons / bobbins, meaning it might not be all that easy to align them properly in the first place.
    2009 Shiver (White) | UK

apriliaforum newb
    Hi,

I have had my shiver 900 since may of 2018 and have put up +-25k km on it so far. Since around 7-8ish thousand km's i have had issues with vibrations in the steering when heavy braking or when braking close to standstill. My garage seems to think the discs are bad but aprilia is not honoring any warranty claims on it so i have not had it fixed yet.

Do you think this could be solved with different discs perhaps different brand like some in this thread have done?

apriliaforum expert
    Try a front end alignment first:
    Make sure the fork legs are at the same height. Get the axle in nice and square. Get the calipers on over the rotors and properly aligned.

Clean the discs and buttons for good measure.

Rotor warpage (run out) is measurable with a dial gauge.
    2009 Shiver (White) | UK

The warped front disks on my 750 were replaced under warranty. Much better now.
    Frodo
    2015 Shiver
    New Zealand

apriliaforum expert dadsafrantic's Avatar
    brakes are for sissies. jk. i'm not sure if the same supplier did the oem rotors for the 2008 mana but they are all interchangeable size wise. mine warped at around 38,000 miles. the caponord have never warped even at 86,000 miles. they are thin though so i'm replacing them. i'll probable do the mana to since it's been about 8k miles since the warpage.
    Dadsafrantic

2015 Red Caponord #64
    2008 Mana Grey #81, hyperpro springs and shock, gpr furuore, rigid lights, bark busters, kaoko throttle lock, puig touring screen

apriliaforum newb
    Hi guys,

Thank you for the feedback. (Work has had me away from the forum for a bit).

I checked the rotors using a spring loaded micrometer on a fixed point while rotating the disk. Did this at the dealers.
    The result was that both disks were very very slightly warped and maybe adjustments on the bobbins might have helped, but we did not think about adjusting them at the time.

I had a choice of warranty replacement with the same Chinese brand/PN or replace with the accessory wavy ones from the shiver catalogue. They are made in Japan with upgraded OEM pads to fit, at cost price. I chose the Japanese ones (360 Euro including labour).

These are identical to the ones offered on the DD 750. They are made by a Japanese company called Sunstar that apparently also make toothpaste???? (Go figure). Looking that their webpage - Braking (Pads, sprockets etc) also belong to them apparently.

Seems to have fixed the problem and they are ever so slightly more powerful. Now my bike squeaks like a 2018 Tuono Factory when coming to a slow stop!

Will see after the winter once they get wet while riding. If they warp.....I will put Brembo and see from there. Unfortunately they are 650 Euro for the pair without pads.

Coz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2007 SV650s
    2018 Shiver 900

apriliaforum expert
    Check the recall for the front brakes.
    ETV stands for Extra-Terrestrial Vehicle. The only thing better than having one is having two.

2019 Shiver model too?
    Aprilia Shiver 900 / Alfa Romeo 147 1.9JTD 8v Squadra Massimo +