Thread: NEW HERE!! 1st time aprilia owner! 2003 falco r

apriliaforum newb

Wink NEW HERE!! 1st time aprilia owner! 2003 falco r

Just purchased my first aprilia. A 2003 falco r. Its in almost perfect condition minus a scratch here and there. Doesn't look like it has ever been dropped. I have maintenance record dating back to 2005 and it just rolled over to 12k miles yesterday. I did the deristriction mod last night. This bike is amazing! I'm in love already and thats coming from someone who said they would never stop riding supermoto's. Just wanted to know if there is anything I should be aware of? Preventative maintenance? I heard these bikes are pretty much bullet proof engine wise. Is this true? I'm hoping to get a lot more trouble free miles out of her! Anyways thanks for reading, looking forward to interacting and learning all I can about these bikes! p.s. I have been trying to upload a pic but I cant get it to work unfortunately but hey, just imagine a pristine 2003 falco r and BOOM you got it

apriliaforum Member
    Welcome to the forum and Aprilia ownership! These bikes are great and you should be in for a lot of enjoyment with your "new to you" Falco.
    2001 Futura - Blue
    2007 RSVR - Red
    2000 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport - Green
    2005 Tuono - Black

apriliaforum newb
    I sure hope so! Just hope I can keep her skins off of the pavement

WAFO (Classic forum greeting).

Yes they are bullet proof. I've got over 30k miles on mine and never HAD to replace anything except the Sprang Clutch. Everything else I have changed has been because I wanted to. There are members or maybe ex-members now that have many more miles than me with very little to no real issues.

Maintenance issues...
    Do a search and get the wiring mod done if it isn't already, keep a good battery in her, and on a Battery Tender (or Battery Minder of some sort), she will treat you well for many many years to come.

Bill
    '03 Falco Bought New on 4/6/07:
    Custom paint, Powder Coated RSV Swing arm, RSV Shock, Anodized Rear Sets, Ti Hardware, Anodized (Blue) Fork Caps, SL Carbon Cans, SL Carbon Chip, Custom Airbox w/ K&N Filter, Evo Clutch Slave Cyl., CF Front Sprocket Cover, Rear Hugger, & Chain Guard, GP Shifter, Tuono Rear Brake Master Cly., Evo Clutch Slave Cly., Evo Fender Eliminator, RSVR Mirrors (custom mounts), Custom Blue Dash, HID Headlight, Smoked Tail Light Lens, Integrated Turn Signals into Taillight, LEDs in Headlight & Taillight, LEDs Thru-out, SuperSprox +2 Rear Sprocket, Ariete Grips... (i'm sure there is more)

Bill

apriliaforum newb
    Awesome and yeah I do keep it on a tinder at the moment. Whats the deal with the sprag clutch? is it a weak part of the engine? Common failure?
    Last edited by thahoova; 04-22-2019 at 01:55 PM.

The only weak link in these bikes is the charging system (the mods/tips I mentioned really help with that).

Slow weak starts (from a low battery) will hurt and eventually kill the Sprang Clutch (starter one-way bearing).
    '03 Falco Bought New on 4/6/07:
    Custom paint, Powder Coated RSV Swing arm, RSV Shock, Anodized Rear Sets, Ti Hardware, Anodized (Blue) Fork Caps, SL Carbon Cans, SL Carbon Chip, Custom Airbox w/ K&N Filter, Evo Clutch Slave Cyl., CF Front Sprocket Cover, Rear Hugger, & Chain Guard, GP Shifter, Tuono Rear Brake Master Cly., Evo Clutch Slave Cly., Evo Fender Eliminator, RSVR Mirrors (custom mounts), Custom Blue Dash, HID Headlight, Smoked Tail Light Lens, Integrated Turn Signals into Taillight, LEDs in Headlight & Taillight, LEDs Thru-out, SuperSprox +2 Rear Sprocket, Ariete Grips... (i'm sure there is more)

Bill

apriliaforum newb
    I did a voltage test on it yesterday and it was running 14.56 volts at idle so someone must have done it already. Ill have to look at the maintenance records but its odd that they would have done that and not the derestriction mod which i just did myself. Maybe they just werent privy to that info i dont know. Honestly i didnt notice much of a difference in performance but then again i had only ridden the bike 46 miles before i did it.

Post a picture of this beauty for us!

Indy, IN
    '01 Red Fire SL1000 Falco
    -Aprilia RSC cans, Gabro chip , carbon fiber rear fender, RSV Mille Sachs Shock/Ohlins spring, Oxford Heaterz

Wafo!

Just enjoy getting to know her before worrying about how to change her. You just bought a beautiful thing.