Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HELP:Strada 2005:Accidentally stops with 5kRPM, Dashboard shut down in the same time.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Can we use this type of connector
    Name:  41P75eRCf7L.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  26.8 KB

The type of connector is good, waterproof connections and held locking connector. what isn't explained is the amount of current the connectors allow.

The reg/rect pushes out a lot of current in comparison to what is needed on the bike. similar connectors such as those that connect the fuel pump are probalby too small.

Best to judge it by size of wire the spades/connectors will recieve after looking at the current wire dimaters. Some of the wires on the reg/rect are quite wide so 2mm might be a good max limit.

Again, purely my suposition, but at least I have thougth about it!

Cheers

Dave
    “If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.” Douglas Adams

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I am also suspecting that it is not big enought, maybe the best solution is solder and it should not give headaches.

Quote Originally Posted by dobbi View Post
    The type of connector is good, waterproof connections and held locking connector. what isn't explained is the amount of current the connectors allow.

The reg/rect pushes out a lot of current in comparison to what is needed on the bike. similar connectors such as those that connect the fuel pump are probalby too small.

Best to judge it by size of wire the spades/connectors will recieve after looking at the current wire dimaters. Some of the wires on the reg/rect are quite wide so 2mm might be a good max limit.

Again, purely my suposition, but at least I have thougth about it!

Cheers

Dave
    All hail Dobbi and his electrical suppositions :-)

I've tried various sealing of the rectifier connections, initially a combination of wrapping them in inner-tube+sealed plastic bags seemed to do the trick. That survived the Americas (both bikes).
    However it had the downside of allowing some water ingress and then not letting it go, hence the breakdown in Semey, Kazakhstan. This was repaired by a friendly bike gang, and they used sealant to block off the connectors. This has held since then (2013). Similar has been done to the other two Pegs in advance.
    A square Peg in a round hole - http://ytc1.blogspot.co.uk/

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by ytc1 View Post

I've tried various sealing of the rectifier connections, initially a combination of wrapping them in inner-tube+sealed plastic bags seemed to do the trick. That survived the Americas (both bikes).
    However it had the downside of allowing some water ingress and then not letting it go, hence the breakdown in Semey, Kazakhstan. This was repaired by a friendly bike gang, and they used sealant to block off the connectors. This has held since then (2013). Similar has been done to the other two Pegs in advance.
    Sealant as a silicone sealant? Where did you filled it, in the back of the connector?

I was wondering how you have got on as I'd never heard you'd had problems with it.

Silicon is ok as long as you don't want to disassembe. if you do, it leaves you with a massive clean up job to ensure you haven't trapped silicone between the contacts, reducing current, increasing heat and therefore corrosion. I'm sure there are good quiality high current.

The generator pumps out 290W so that is a little over 24A of current. You will need to find a connector which will cope with a little more.
    “If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.” Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by dobbi View Post
    I was wondering how you have got on as I'd never heard you'd had problems with it.

Silicon is ok as long as you don't want to disassembe. if you do, it leaves you with a massive clean up job to ensure you haven't trapped silicone between the contacts, reducing current, increasing heat and therefore corrosion. I'm sure there are good quiality high current.

The generator pumps out 290W so that is a little over 24A of current. You will need to find a connector which will cope with a little more.
    Proves you never read the blog :-P

Buggered if I know what type, I was drinking vodka.

UK mechanic will have used correct stuff, he was an electrical draughts man at sellafield in a previous life :-)

Sent from my Moto G (5S) using Tapatalk
    A square Peg in a round hole - http://ytc1.blogspot.co.uk/

Don't worry about the rain, mine has had plenty.

Yes there are "scare" stories, but remember it is generally people asking for help on here so it will look worse than it is in reality

Sent from my Moto G (5S) using Tapatalk
    True. No one ever posts to say everything is great. Mechanically they seem pretty solid as not much reported on here. Always seems to be electrical.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by Heath12 View Post
    True. No one ever posts to say everything is great. Mechanically they seem pretty solid as not much reported on here. Always seems to be electrical.
    The Minarelli engine is a marvel of engineering....best single engine ever IMHO.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12