Thread: Suspension tutorials

apriliaforum newb

Suspension tutorials

Looking to learn a little bit about suspension, I know nothing. Any suggestions on learning material?

apriliaforum Member
    Youtube... Traxxion Dynamics in GA. Whole series from start to finish. Very informative.
    2016 Tuono Factory
    2000 Ducati 996S
    1985 Yamaha RZ350
    2006 Suzuki SV1000

WERA V2
    National Champion

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper580 View Post
    Youtube... Traxxion Dynamics in GA. Whole series from start to finish. Very informative.
    Perfect. Thank you.

That, along with setting the bike up according to the specs in the manual. Itís a great baseline. After absorbing some (good) knowledge from the innerwebs, try to focus on what youíre feeling with the bike and figuring out what you like and donít like.

Check out Dave Moss Tuning on youtube. Heís a suspension guru. Set aside some time, thereís some seriously good content.

Suspension settings are a very intimate deal between you, the bike, and whatever surface youíre riding on. Itíll take time to learn how to get a positive connection between yourself and the machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob351 View Post
    That, along with setting the bike up according to the specs in the manual. Itís a great baseline. After absorbing some (good) knowledge from the innerwebs, try to focus on what youíre feeling with the bike and figuring out what you like and donít like.

Check out Dave Moss Tuning on youtube. Heís a suspension guru. Set aside some time, thereís some seriously good content.

Suspension settings are a very intimate deal between you, the bike, and whatever surface youíre riding on. Itíll take time to learn how to get a positive connection between yourself and the machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'll second the recommendation for Dave Moss.
    Current: 2014 Aprilia Tuono V4, 2010 Triumph Tiger 1050
    Previous: 2014 Ninja 300, 2004 Ducati ST4S, 2009 Kawasaki ZX6R, 2002 SV650

apriliaforum Member
    Attended a Dave Moss seminar in person and hosted him in my home town, he is brilliant and what he gives you for free is amazing. I've also purchased his premium online channel for $49.95AUD$ p/yr and have literally dialed in my suspension based on what it does and typing it into his search engine for videos (bike understeer, rear shock preload, tire pressure etc).

Traxxion dynamics video on youtube is very good, about 18 chapters long but very - very good - especially the "performance chapter", which again talks about specific problems and how to fix them.

Only bit of advice for either person / video / option is start to learn how to communicate what it is that your bike is doing / not doing that you like or don't like. If you can communicate it you can troubleshoot it.

Quote Originally Posted by McPhil View Post
    Looking to learn a little bit about suspension, I know nothing. Any suggestions on learning material?
    I have found that its best to find a good race shop near you, and have them set it up for you... My friend is a long time tuner and mechanic, wrenched on AMA and now MotoAmerica teams, plus an Isle of Man team, Macau GP, etc... He's a certified Ohlins tech... We also have Traxxion Dynamics here in GA, as well as a really good guy that goes by the name ThermosMan... Paying them 30-60 minutes of labor to have them set it up properly for you, your weight, the kind of riding that you do, is worth every penny. I am sure there is a good shop somewhere in your area. You can learn it and try to get it right by trial and error, or you can just pay someone $50-$75 to do it right the first time, who does it for a living...

apriliaforum Junkie
    +1 for Dave Moss. He comes out here once a year. Ive hired him for a track day and am on his premium DMT page.

I now set bikes up for people as part of pay it forward.
    My bikes

2015 Tuono 1100rr

2006 KDX200

2010 GSXR1250

2009 BMW XChallenge G650x