Not my finest hour!

Professional Goat Burster.

apriliaforum Member
    Whoops

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pete roper View Post
    We all screw up from time to time....

Not my finest hour!

What's the explanation for that Pete, looks like you left a bolt loose and it's screwed its way out through the case?
    seesecurity.com.au

Yup. Front variator bolt. I’d torqued it but obviously not correctly. Things don’t come undone if they are torqued correctly!

No chance of the retards in Oz having the bits so I’ve ordered them from AF1. Should be all good in a few weeks.

Mea Culpa.

Quote Originally Posted by pete roper View Post
    Things don’t come undone if they are torqued correctly!
    You've never prepped a bike for the TT have you........
    seesecurity.com.au

Nope. But our bike won the post classic championship on NSW a few years ago. It wasn't a horrible, vibratory pig though...

And our slightly more *Modern* mate with his RZ 500.

Fun times.

Just rattle gun the bolt back in place and stick the Aprilia badge back over the hole. It'll hardly show....
    2009 Mana GT ABS; Andreani fork cartridges with uprated springs; Dorsoduro hand guards and heated grips; 30mm handlebar risers; Digital tachograph: Modified woodcraft folding brake pedal; R&G frame sliders

Not my style Andy.

OK, joking aside, is that bolt threaded left handed? (given that the motor spins clockwise when viewed from the left). It doesn't seem to have any sort of locking tab washer either.

I'm interested as I've just managed to buy the DGFOTOA and the locking wrench for when my belt needs changing.

As you now have a bike in for repair is there any chance of recording the re-training process for Guzzidiag?
    2009 Mana GT ABS; Andreani fork cartridges with uprated springs; Dorsoduro hand guards and heated grips; 30mm handlebar risers; Digital tachograph: Modified woodcraft folding brake pedal; R&G frame sliders

OK, just to put this to bed.

I ordered what I thought we'd need from AF1, much easier than dealing with the jokers here, cheaper too I'd wager, but I did that BEFORE we'd taken it to bits and found that a few other bits, including the front inner pulley disc, were buggered so I had to order them as well delaying the job.

Whatever the cause, whether a goof up by me or simply bad luck the damage was surprising.

After the bolt had loosened off it allowed the ids of spacers that keep the pulleys secure to float. While the bolt got spat out before the outer pulley could strip its splines the inner one had completely eaten them so it was essentially free to spin on the crank.

Because it could wobble around it also destroyed the air guide plate behind it as well and although it still drove the belt fell too far into the pulley, (Oddly not triggering a 'Gear' fault.) and scuffed up the bottom of the outer pulley. That was recoverable though.

The disintegrating alloy also ended up embedding in the clutch shoes and they had to be dressed up to be good again but were still serviceable. The belt though had taken a pizzling so we chucked that and put a new one on.

So basically we ended up having to buy.

The outer case.

O-Rings.

The air dam plate.

Inner pulley.

A couple of spacers.

Belt.

Bolt and washers.

And probably a couple of other bits I can't remember.

All very tiresome as I only did the belt a few thousand km ago but it could of been a lot worse. The crank splines had taken a beating but were salvageable or it would of been a much more expensive job. It also gave us the chance to cure a couple of coolant leaks that had appeared and fix his Park brake!

All in all I reckon it cost me, at retail prices, about a grand in parts. Labour? Well, a lot of time was spent picking flies out of sugar with things like the alloy dust etc. in the clutch but chuck in another $500-600 there! No, the customer pays nothing as I'm pretty certain it's my fault and even if it isn't I'm not going to argue with bad luck.

It'll be going home again on Thursday. I have to go into hospital for an angiogram tomorrow. Worst thing is after riding it I really want to get mine back on the road! They really are a smashing motorbike!

Pete

apriliaforum newb
    good luck on that test Pete. Prayers.

Saw my first Mana today. Stared at it a good long time while my Dorso was having it's first service done. Very weirdly interesting machine.