Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Am6 struggles to rev past 8000rpm

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaldis12 View Post
    Tune your carb correctly.
    If only it was that easy. I have tried almost every combination I can think of and whilst I do need to get the carb spot on, I really don't think it is that causing this issue.

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dac69er View Post
    Choke is fine. It's just a plunger type thing so you pull it up and it lifts the plunger inside the carb to let the fuel through via the choke jet.
    Dumb question,did u try to tune it under choke?You cant do worse allready

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by loveJDM View Post
    Dumb question,did u try to tune it under choke?You cant do worse allready
    what do you mean? keep the choke on and try and tune it? no.

i have only used the choke to try and guage if it is rich or lean. it makes no difference to the way the power is over 8000rpm.

apriliaforum Member
    try it

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by dac69er View Post
    If only it was that easy. I have tried almost every combination I can think of and whilst I do need to get the carb spot on, I really don't think it is that causing this issue.
    Carb tuning is not just trying out combinations. You need to know what needs to be changed to solve the problem.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by loveJDM View Post
    try it
    it wont idle with the choke on once its warmed up a bit!!!!

apriliaforum Junkie
    Carb tuning is not just trying out combinations. You need to know what needs to be changed to solve the problem.
    i understand that. what i meant is i have more than just a few main jets and have tried using it setup as a 2 stroke carb and a 4stroke carb (using the different atomisers and floats) and this issue remains every time.

i managed to set it up fine on my 50 kit and my stickyparts 70 kit. it just doesnt feel like a carb setup specific issue as it runs so well otherwise.

do you have any advice one were to start based on the issue i have? carb is a PHBG 19mm i have the following parts to interchange if required:

AU (2stroke) atomiser bush
    AU 262 atomiser
    AU 264 atomiser
    AU 266 atomiser

AN (4stroke) atomiser bush
    AN 262 atomiser

4g float
    5g float

w3 needle
    w6 needle
    w7 needle
    W9 needle

idle jets- 38,40,42,45,48,50

main jets ranging from 60-130

30 slide
    40 slide

apriliaforum expert
    If so, then you should look for leaks. Check the following places: Ignition(starting with spark plug change), check that you have proper fuel delivery, Crankshaft seals, Cylinder gasket and seals, Exhaust Leak at the cylinder, see if the exhaust has a leak, check that the reeds are closing properly.
    Propably in this order.

apriliaforum Junkie
    If so, then you should look for leaks. Check the following places: Ignition(starting with spark plug change), check that you have proper fuel delivery, Crankshaft seals, Cylinder gasket and seals, Exhaust Leak at the cylinder, see if the exhaust has a leak, check that the reeds are closing properly.
    Propably in this order.
    Ignition(starting with spark plug change), have replaced plug twice, have tried a different coil, have tried a different stator

check that you have proper fuel delivery, removed valve from fuel tank and checked filter, checked flow and it was as expected

Crankshaft seals, not loosing any gearbox oil, inspected other side and seal looks perfect. crank was brand new when rebuilt, so no grooves or anything where the seals sit. engine hasnt done many miles since a full rebuild (a few thousand in total) if there are any other ways for me to check them, please let me know

Cylinder gasket and seals, have had this off multiple times. everything is clean and i have used new gaskets

Exhaust Leak at the cylinder, see if the exhaust has a leak, old exhaust had no leak, fitted brand new exhaust, this also has no leak

check that the reeds are closing properly. fitted brand new reeds and cage

bike is only used in the good weather and never ridden in the rain. it is always garaged.

apriliaforum Member
    i would tune in under choke to try that but ofc it looka stupid

apriliaforum expert
    Tuning it while choke is on is a stupid idea

Lets do a quick check. Start up the engine and run it a few mins on idle. Stop the engine and take off the float bowl of the carb and see how much fuel is in the float bowl. Take a picture and then upload it. Make sure that no fuel is spilling out while taking it off.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Tuning it while choke is on is a stupid idea

Lets do a quick check. Start up the engine and run it a few mins on idle. Stop the engine and take off the float bowl of the carb and see how much fuel is in the float bowl. Take a picture and then upload it. Make sure that no fuel is spilling out while taking it off.
    Is this once the bike has warmed up first or doesn't it matter?
    I assume this is with the fuel tap off as it will just fill up to the correct level again otherwise!?!?

apriliaforum expert
    It doesnt really matter. Its just for filling up properly the float bowl. It should be fill up to the correct level. Your problem could be the "running out" of fuel. A quick float adjustment can resolve the problem. At least if your vacuum tap is okay for sure.

apriliaforum Junkie
    It doesnt really matter. Its just for filling up properly the float bowl. It should be fill up to the correct level. Your problem could be the "running out" of fuel. A quick float adjustment can resolve the problem. At least if your vacuum tap is okay for sure.
    Float height is fine. It's not running out of fuel as I would feel it bog. I have held it at that rpm. If it was running lean enough to loose power it would have seized by now.

apriliaforum Member
    Does it sound like 4 stroke or using a rev limiter?

Haha im still pretty sure your carb has inverted choke.Did u try other spark plugs(heat ranges,brands)?

I had excatly the same carb like you,changed everything possible except changing transmission gears,nothing.Restored carb to default settings,try to "tune in under choke"(it was normal but it was inverted so i didnt know),it worked finnaly after months and because all of that joy i forgot to connect oil so it seized haha,but we solve it.
    Last edited by loveJDM; 05-04-2019 at 04:50 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast